1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured God's Ten Commandments in the "Baptist Confession of Faith" and other affirmations

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by BobRyan, Jan 23, 2015.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Do you find D.L. Moody to be opposed to section 19 of the BCoF in his statement below? Of is the statement below perfectly compatible with it.

=========================================================

D.L. Moody notices that some are opposed to the Sabbath Commandment

BY THE
    DWIGHT L. MOODY
    The Ten Commandments:
    Exodus 20:2-17
    The Fourth Commandment

Remember the Sabbath Day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: for in six days the LORD made heaven and Earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath Day, and hallowed it.

[FONT=&quot]THERE HAS BEEN an awful letting-down in this country regarding the Sabbath during the last twenty-five years, and many a man has been shorn of spiritual power, like Samson, because he is not straight on this question. Can you say that you observe the Sabbath properly? You may be a professed Christian: are you obeying this commandment? Or do you neglect the house of God on the Sabbath day, and spend your time drinking and carousing in places of vice and crime, showing contempt for God and His law? Are you ready to step into the scales? Where were you last Sabbath? How did you spend it?

I honestly believe that this commandment is just as binding today as it ever was. I have talked with men who have said that it has been abrogated, but they have never been able to point to any place in the Bible where God repealed it. When Christ was on earth, He did nothing to set it aside; He freed it from the traces under which the scribes and Pharisees had put it, and gave it its true place. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]"The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath." (Mark 2:27) [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]It is just as practicable and as necessary for men today as it ever was[/FONT][FONT=&quot]- in fact, more than ever, because we live in such an intense age.

The Sabbath was binding in Eden, and it has been in force ever since. The fourth commandment begins with the word remember, showing that the Sabbath already existed when God wrote this law on the tables of stone at Sinai.
    How can men claim that this one commandment has been done away with when they will admit that the other nine are still binding?

I believe that the Sabbath question today is a vital one for the whole country. It is the burning question of the present time. If you give up the Sabbath the church goes; [/FONT] __________________
    ===============================================================

No one claims that D.L. Moody or C.H. Spurgeon were SDA - yet they could honestly admit to some Bible details that some here claim only SDAs could know about.

2. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Certainly it is understandable that Baptists that are not calvinist would not agree with everything in those documents.

But "there exists" Baptists that ARE calvinists -- some even on the BB.

I think we both agree on that point.

3. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have good news for you -- Salty has started a thread to help your cause out in that regard -- #1

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

So what is your point Bob?
    To show that the SDA is different than all the other religions of the world? We agree it is.
    To show that it is the same or even similar that all the other religions of the world? It isn't.
    Why this thread? Why the comparisons that don't make sense to me?
    I don't use the Confessions of Faith, Moody's sermons, etc. They are irrelevant.
    I still don't know what the debate is about. What is the purpose here?

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do not state though that Baptists, even reformed/Calvinistic ones, do NOT equate ANY Confess to be equal to the scriptures, while the SDA elevates the teachings and doctrines of the prophetess to be indeed equal to the Bible!

6. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I did not start that thread -- Salty did - you appear to have asked that something like that be started in the post I quoted from you -- just letting you know your request had been addressed.

7. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Turns out... you are not the only one on this section of the board - and Salty has admitted to being in agreement with the document as posted.

Not sure that means anything to you - but not everyone here ... is you.

I think you and I would both agree on that point.

in Christ,

Bob

8. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That is a "rabbit trail" that goes nowhere because I did not claim that the baptists that agree with that section of the "Baptist Confession of Faith" do so because the BCoF tells them to - rather the BCoF is a statement that reflects accurately their belief on the subject it addresses in section 19 and 22.

I happen to agree with 6 of the 7 points -- not because the BCoF tells me what to think -- obviously.

Rabbit trail ended. :)

in Christ,

Bob

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I am talking about this thread which was started by you and is now three pages long. I asked the same question here:
    http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=2184905&postcount=6

What is the purpose? What are you trying to prove? What is the debate?

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a difference between being in (full) agreement and vast majority.
    -
    BR- you have got to stop putting words in peoples quotes.

Also you need to stop using the term THE Baptist Confession of Faith. You need to reference the specific statement of Faith you are referring to.

Unlike the Seventh Day Adventist-Baptists have at least 57 Varieties (as in Heinz 57 Varieties)
    of Statement of Faith.

#30 Salty, Jan 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2015
  11. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I only posted section 19 not "all" of the "Baptist Confession of Faith" --

The timidity with which you voice affirmation is expressed at various levels sometimes stronger than others - possibly because you want to hedge or are still undecided in your support of those few statements in section 19 ?? not sure your agenda. It is very easy - 5 short statements in section 19 most of them only 1 sentence. You are free to oppose them all like DHK if you wish. But you should try to own up to whatever part of it you want to claim you agree with --- if at all. Is DHK's war on the BCoF really so intimidating??? If so -- how so??

You keep posting that as if you and I had not both posted the link pointing to the exact document.

Interesting little dance there.

in Christ,

Bob

#31 BobRyan, Jan 25, 2015
  12. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    As already answered -

And your response to that - that imagines that these other guys reject the BCoF just like you do - is nonsense.

Can we not at least agree on that point by now?

in Christ,

Bob

13. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That is a link to this same thread we are on - where your question was already answered as follows

And your idea that all other BB Baptists oppose D.L. Moody and the BCoF section 19 just as you do - has yet to be proven - and in Salty's case appears to be disproven though he is pretty timid about defining just how much of section 19 he affirms. IF you are confused about how much Icon and Salty affirm section 19 due to their timidity in admitting to it - I can't blame you.

in Christ,

Bob

#33 BobRyan, Jan 25, 2015
  14. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please provide link to section 19

15. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is the OP

it has section 19 quoted - it has a link to where you can find section 19 and the way I have posted it here you should be able to click both the OP link and the link to the BCoF to find section 19.

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]http://www.spurgeon.org/~phil/creeds/bcof.htm#part19[/FONT][/FONT]

So for example when I posted this

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]http://www.spurgeon.org/~phil/creeds/bcof.htm[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]http://www.spurgeon.org/~phil/creeds/bcof.htm#part19[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]you [FONT=&quot]had first the link to the BCoF[FONT=&quot] [FONT=&quot]as edited by Spurgeon and then also the direct link[FONT=&quot] to section 19.

[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]http://www.spurgeon.org/~phil/creeds/bcof.htm#part19[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I had hoped [FONT=&quot]my post made that easy and convenient for you.

[FONT=&quot]As stated befor[FONT=&quot]e - I thin[FONT=&quot]k Icon [FONT=&quot]may agree with this section 19 [FONT=&quot]and I suspect OldRegular does as well (And a few others not opposed to S[FONT=&quot]purgeon[FONT=&quot]'s[FONT=&quot] section 19)[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]. But everyone is a bit timid when it comes to th[FONT=&quot]at section -- not sure why. Maybe they prefer to [FONT=&quot]have SDAs affirming [FONT=&quot]6 of the 7 points - of [FONT=&quot]BCoF sectio[FONT=&quot]ns 19[FONT=&quot] and 22[FONT=&quot] -- not Baptists. I don't mind -- [FONT=&quot]I am not shy about stating my [FONT=&quot]beliefs. :)[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
    [/FONT][/FONT] [/FONT]

#35 BobRyan, Jan 25, 2015
  16. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    All I asked for was the link.
    Your post normally are so long - I rarely read the entire post.

17. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I was uncertain as to how many times the link would need to be posted.

18. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    and that goes not just for you - but anyone who consistently writes a thesis for a post.

19. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So then you found the same text in the section 19 link as in the section 19 quote in the OP. And you objected to which of the 5 one-paragraph (sometimes 1 sentence) statements in Spurgeon's section 19?

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

So let me get this straight.
    If I can provide a number of commonalities between the RCC and the Baptists,
    (trinity, eternal torment of the wicked, resurrection of the living and the dead, coming of Christ, etc.), that makes the RCC a legitimate religion. They are not alone in their beliefs. This is your argument.

If you can provide a number of commonalities between the SDA and the Baptists (Sunday and Sabbath and law) that somehow makes the SDA a legitimate religion in your eyes. You are not alone in your beliefs, just like the RCC. This is your argument. You are trying to prove here that the SDA has some legitimacy not to be labeled as a cult. Is that what this thread is all about?