1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gods View of Lost Man

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by preacher4truth, Jun 30, 2011.

1. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

I would like to request that you refrain from stating this as it has been brought to your attention repeatedly that No One makes this claim, rather it is how you continue to label and trivialize positions different from your own. It is in fact, "nonsense" that you continue to throw this up over and over.

2. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Well, good morning qaf!

To be honest, your thoughts of me hardly ever concern me, nor of what I say, as to be yet still honest, I rarely see anything you say as contributing, but rather caustic and antagonistic in nature. I hope for better dialogue stemming from grace within in the near future. :love2:

One more thing, it has been emphatically stated. So, yes, someone did make this claim.

You happen to be wrong my friend. :thumbsup:

Also, what label did I give it? Trivialize it? Nope. Compare it to Scriptures? You Betcha!!!! The Bereans practiced this too, does that make them labellers and trivializers?

#22 preacher4truth, Jul 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2011
  3. quantumfaith

Something I have hoped for all along, but it seems difficult for you to "diagree" with a fellow believer in an "agreeable" manner. You simply let them know that what they think is either "baloney" or "nonsense".

It has NOT been emphatically stated that "men are good enough" to warrant God's attention or grace on them. Rather, it is because God LOVES and "IS Love" that he grants His grace upon anyone, You and Me included.

I happen to "think" (that means be convinced) that You (brother) are incorrect.

4. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where in Romans 8 do you find the Jew vs Gentile debate? All the way through, Paul is speaking of "we" and "us," meaning himself and the people he was writing to, the Christians of Rome. Paul does not address the Jew/Gentile question until 9:1.

Steve

5. preacher4truth

It certainly HAS been stated, as a matter of fact, the OP quotes this. Did you miss that?

Sometimes we are convinced someone is wrong, that something has not been said, when it's our ownselves who are incorrect. I kindly suggest this is you at this time my friend.

6. preacher4truth

A beautiful passage supporting election as unconditional:

Rom 9:8 That is, it is not the children of the flesh who are children of God, but the children of the promise are regarded as descendants.
    Rom 9:9 For this is the word of promise: "AT THIS TIME I WILL COME, AND SARAH SHALL HAVE A SON."
    Rom 9:10 And not only this, but there was Rebekah also, when she had conceived twins by one man, our father Isaac;
    Rom 9:11 for though the twins were not yet born and had not done anything good or bad, so that God's purpose according to His choice would stand, not because of works but because of Him who calls,
    Rom 9:12 it was said to her, "THE OLDER WILL SERVE THE YOUNGER."
    Rom 9:13 Just as it is written, "JACOB I LOVED, BUT ESAU I HATED."
    Rom 9:14 What shall we say then? There is no injustice with God, is there? May it never be!
    Rom 9:15 For He says to Moses, "I WILL HAVE MERCY ON WHOM I HAVE MERCY, AND I WILL HAVE COMPASSION ON WHOM I HAVE COMPASSION."
    Rom 9:16 So then it does not depend on the man who wills or the man who runs, but on God who has mercy.
    Rom 9:17 For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, "FOR THIS VERY PURPOSE I RAISED YOU UP, TO DEMONSTRATE MY POWER IN YOU, AND THAT MY NAME MIGHT BE PROCLAIMED THROUGHOUT THE WHOLE EARTH."
    Rom 9:18 So then He has mercy on whom He desires, and He hardens whom He desires.

Amen!

7. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

There is no question that God's Grace is unconditionally given and totally apart from anything we have done. However I do not believe that such removes man's volition. How the two are brought together I have no clue, but I have no clue how there is one God and three Persons so I just believe even in the mist of my lacking full understanding.
    So does God choose unconditionally choose who will be His? Yes! Does man choose to accept by his own volition? Yes!

8. preacher4truth

Amen brother. Some of this is difficult to grasp, yes, but I believe His Grace to be irresistible to His elect. His ways are above our ways for sure.

One thing for certain, it is all unconditional. This is one reason we stand in awe of God.

A problem with the question "How can God be just if he doesn't consider what man has done" or however it is worded fails in this:

Do we really want Gods JUSTICE? We better not want this! We better think this through very carefully. If all men recieved Justice from God, where in the world would mankind be? It is GRACE that we want, not justice. Uzza received Justice, and so many others in Scripture.

#28 preacher4truth, Jul 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2011
  9. quantumfaith

If you would kind enough to share the entire post to determine if as you say,

"and according to our good things, decide to elect us accordingly."

is precisely what was communicated.

10. preacher4truth

I bolded you above.

Who are you quoting here, me?

If so, understand those are my words (if in fact they are a verbatim quote of myself) not me saying that is an exact quote of another person, as it is not.

The OP is plain enough, my quotes there are sufficient and are direct quotes.

Is lost man under wrath, or is election conditional upon man, and if so, would that make God a respecter of persons?

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No brother because we all deserve death. What we want is his mercy. Praise God from who all blessings flow. :godisgood:

12. preacher4truth

That's exactly correct. When we say God is a Just God, we should tremble at the thought of this, because it is true, and due to the implications of this truth.

We should also tremble at the thought of His Mercy and Grace.

- Peace

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thats Amazing Grace....and you know the rest of the song as well as my own story.

14. preacher4truth

Yes, and we see God as the One who extends His Grace to whom He wills. Not based upon God looking at what man has done, nor does God need to have His Justice vindicated by any person claiming He has to consider our works (for Him to remain or be Just.)

His Justice is not tied to anything in man whatsoever, and we surely don't provoke Him to prove it. To ask if God is just then say He must do or consider anything is a fallacy. Do you see this?

Nope, for Him to be Just, He needs no support nor vindication. He simply is Just.

:thumbsup:

15. quantumfaith

PFT,

Help my simple mind. Here are the opening words of your OP.

It has been argued on BB that "But how can God be just and not consider what he sees in man?"

This statement is made in context of election, and of God seeing good in man. According to this statement, we are looked upon by God, and election becomes conditional upon "what he sees in man." It is concluded that then each man will be judged by his works. This was said to specifically deny unconditional election, and worded to prove election is conditional, or that unconditional election is wrong, or both, and that our works sway Him, and that by this it proves God is just. How could it be otherwise is the arguments platform.

A bit later....as "I" interpret it....you make the statement (interpretation) that your opening quote implies the person credited with your OP quote means the following:

"and according to our good things, decide to elect us accordingly."

I am simply asking for the source, the complete source and context of your OP quote to agree or disagree with your interpretaion of the initial quote in the OP.

Thank YOU

16. preacher4truth

You are correct, that is what I conclude from the quoted argument concerning election, and the arguing is against it (election) being unconditional.

In other words, some do believe that election is not unconditional, and rather conditional. Romans 9:8 and following dismiss this premise. When I say "some" means it doesn't limit this some to only the BB.

I'll take a pass on providing anything further, as I find these things using "search."

I can't honestly say any engagement with you proves a profitable engagement in my recollection. I speak this in love and just being frank. I feel your cycling and recycling the same thing here has a negative objective on your part, and I judge this from past experience with you on the BB. I desire it to be otherwise, but honestly don't see it happening.

Everything I say here is in love, but also, in truth.

Sometimes self-discovery is our best teacher my friend.

17. quantumfaith

I will remember the next time my students seek insight on a Partial Fraction Decomposition or calculating the partial derivative of a function of several variables....."Self discovery is your best teacher" good luck with that one.

18. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

My point exactly with God Predestined us, those who will believe to be His children. Because He knew in eternity past the choice we would make concerning His Son. Do we see an example in the Bible that shows what He foreknows, you bet we do with Jacob and Esau.
    Did God know before the two boys were born what choices they would make, scripture shows it.
    Gen 25:23 And the LORD said unto her, Two nations are in thy womb, and two manner of people shall be separated from thy bowels; and the one people shall be stronger than the other people; and the elder shall serve the younger.
    Romans 9: 11 (For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth;)
    12 It was said unto her, The elder shall serve the younger.
    13 As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.
    14 What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid.

Paul makes it clear they were called not according to not of works, and yet God knew Esau would serve Jacob and God hated Esau, not that he hated in our terms He knew Esau's heart and that Esau would reject Him.

God foreknows the choices we would make and Election stands on that.

19. quantumfaith

Actually the debate begins back in Chapters 2 and 3. An earlier part of one contiguous letter. Chapter 8 it appears to me is a continuation of this Jew/Gentile.....Outward Jew/Inward Jew debate emphasizing that real life is by the Spirit rather than the law.

20. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

So then you are agreeing with us that in 'classic" Arminianism, the election by God is based upon the person own free will choice? So man is ultimate source/basis of salavtion?

just asking as our moderator Skandlion I don't think holds that Arminianism election is based upon the point of God "seeing" our faith response in the Future and electing based on that?