1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gods View of Lost Man

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by preacher4truth, Jun 30, 2011.

1. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I understand your point but I am afraid that I do not hold the same. I do not believe that God chose us because He knew we would accept. In the case text you pointed to, Gen 25:23, I do not see it as God simply knowing what would take place and then work that into His plan. I see it as God ordaining what would take place and allowing it to unfold as each individual lived out his life.

Let me make a point here about holding that God knows the future and elects on that bases. First if God has to look down through history to see what is going to take place then He is limited by time and history. Then one would have to ask who set history in stone if God has to take a peek at it and then do His thing?
    Now I speak as a fool. If this is the case (God looking down through history) then we need to learn of the one who set history because this one (entity) would be more powerful then the God we call on if history is set outside of God's purview.
    No I don't believe that God sees ahead of time and then elects. I believe that God simply predestines and he has predestined election to all who will accept and yet somehow does not violate the volition of man. I am not saying it is 50/50. I am saying it is 100/100. He calls and every elect will come, but not all who are called become the elect because of volition.

Now that I have said more then I even understand I will stop for now.

2. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Just to clarify this, are you saying that God elects ALL people into jesus, than depending on IF we permit/allow God to keep us saved in Christ?

Like a type of potential Universalism?

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Perhaps there is a problem with the word elect or better stated how we (you and me) are using it. I am saying that I believe everyone gets a call. I believe that it is election that is predestined and we become the elect if we through volition accept the call. Every elect will come, but they will come because of volition, not because of being forced or without choice. As to allowing God to keep us saved yes. Well strange wording, but I allowed Him to save me so why would I not want Him to keep me saved. I cannot do it.

4. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

I never said it was 50/50 Since He foreknew, knew everything that would happen before it ever did He elected those who would make a choice for Him a place in His family. Just a we make plans for a new child being born into our family, we know the pregnancy exist and we plan for that child based on our knowing it is growing and will be born.
    God knew who would be born into His family and elected a place for them in that family, made a room we might say for them. We choose to accept Christ because God gave us volition, God elected us into His family, because He knew what our volition (choice) would be, He neither forced us to choose nor did He force us to reject Christ, He left the choice to us, but He foreknew the choice we would make and planned accordingly.
    Had He not known the choice Adam and Eve would make He would not have made plans for His Son to come and die on the cross
    1 Peter 1:19 But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:
    20 Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you,
    21 Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God.

If God didn't foreknow before the foundation of the world that Adam and Eve would fall, then why would He have made plans for their fall?
    Christ we are told by Peter was foreordained before the foundation of the world, to give His precious Blood and be sacrificed as a Lamb without spot and blemish. We have our faith and Hope in Him. If God knew man would fall He also knew who would and would not accept the Lamb that was Foreordained to be the Sacrifice for us.