1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"God's Will be Done"

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Gina B, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I think praying changes us, not God. Praying brings us into God's will when we seek His will in prayer.

Praying humbles us, causes us to remember who God is, causes us to realize our sin, causes us to realize our need for the Lord, glorifies God, and gives us wisdom.

The ultimate goal of prayer is to see things as God sees them, then our desires change so that they are what God wants for us. This is not our prayers changing God, but God changing us.

2. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not omniscient, so I do not know the will of God in many situations. Therefore, I ask for God's will to be done because he knows what he is doing even though I do not.

I think the people are just admitting the limits of their knowledge.

People in the scriptures certainly attributed the bad things that happened to them to the will of God. The two most obvious examples being Joseph and Job.

Jesus prayed in the garden that this cup would pass from him and then said not my will but your will be done. When I ask that God's will be done, I am following Jesus' example.

3. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not know of anyone that uses it as a mask for unbelief. We do not know it all and we are not in control of everything even though we act like we are at times.

4. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure, but is that based upon Him knowing what we will do or not knowing what we will do? Are you an open theist?

5. PeterM

PeterM Member

Gina,

It seems to me, at least, that you are having problems in (2) areas:

First, understanding God's Will of which there are three factes:

1. God's Sovereign Will: The exercise of His supremacy as Creator over His Creation. God is in control of everything whether we believe in Him or not. The Sovereign Will of God is the easiest to know and fulfill for it encompasses all that comes to past... Where we were born, how we were raised, and who we married. To discover God’s Sovereign Will, you need only look in the past at what has taken place, be it a minute or a millennium ago. All that has taken place has been done according to God’s Sovereign Will.

2. God's Moral Will: God’s Moral Will is His moral instruction revealed in His Law and Scripture. Discovering God’s Moral Will is simply a matter of reading and studying God’s Word, for in it is recorded God’s Will concerning right versus wrong, and good versus evil.

3. God's Individual Will: The Scriptures do not clearly teach that God has a specific detailed plan for our lives that dictates only one choice for every decision we make. Instead, God gives us the freedom to choose, as long as our choices fall within His Will revealed in His Word!

The second issue I see is related to the first... you seem to have a problem with the reality of suffering in the life of believers. Can cancer be a part of God's will? Absolutely! God's plan and purposes are accomplished by things we perceive as being positive and negative. Suffering is not only promised in God's Word, but it is that which grows us in the process of sanctification. It is a part of God's will for me, you, and every other child of God.

We need to define "good" in God's economy, not our own. In the lives of many I have had the privilege of ministering to terminal illness, the loss of a spouse, persecution have been some of the greatest blessings in their lives... for one simple reason... it was that, that drew them closer to the Lord. That is why James tells us to rejoice in suffering. We can pray for recovery and/or release in a given situation, but God may have other plans.

Someone mentioned Jesus' prayer in the Garden prior to His arrest... which is a perfect example. Jesus didn't want to experience what was coming, but He surrendered His will to the Father's will. As Christ's surrenders, so should we.

6. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Go to now, ye that say, To day or to morrow we will go into such a city, and continue there a year, and buy and sell, and get gain: Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away. For that ye ought to say, If the Lord will, we shall live, and do this, or that.
    James 4:13-15 KJV

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then you're reading their literature, and if you rarely read, then you're listening to the spirit that drives them.

I was hearing and making the arguments you've made 25+ years ago while I was in the heart of Charismania. The misapplication of the "in earth as it is in heaven" phrase of the Lord's Prayer is old hat.

8. rbell

rbell Active Member

I understand what you're saying.

I like how it was said by a friend of mine:

"God does heal all Christians. It's just a matter of timing and location.

He heals some then and there...others, He brings home."

9. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Peter, you have my thanks for taking the time to answer with all due seriousness and consideration for the topic at hand.

I fully believe, as anyone should, in sovereign will, yet I would define it as less detailed than you have presented - perhaps "generally encompassing" is the term that seems most adequate. Nothing can or will happen apart from sovereign will. Good will triumph over evil, the enemy will be cast down for eternity, and creation will be restored to the order and purpose for which it was and is intended.

There is no question concerning God's moral will. It has been laid out clearly for those who will believe, and clearly even for those who refuse to see it.

Now is the part which causes me concern - facet three in the reply presented.

Why shouldn't our definition of good coincide with the definition of good that the Father gave us at the time creation was completed? At that time there was no sorrow, no sickness, and no shame. All of those things are the result of nothing other than sin... through refusal to recognize that God alone was and always would be sovereign. They tried to change God's will not by prayer, but through disobedience. Sin.

So is cancer a part of God's plan? I still have to say no.

Are we to rejoice even in suffering? Yes.

Can God take the results that sin has on humankind, take how it affects his children (regardless of whether it is a direct result of their personal actions or through no fault of their own) and work THROUGH it so that good can come about for that son or daughter? Absolutely!

I am open to correction and suggestions on this matter...if it were not so I would not have bothered posting it for discussion.

However, let me give you two examples.

1. Illness. I have a daughter who was born with a certain heart defect. I never once thought it was the will of God. My first assumption was that it either happened simply because of unknown factors in a world where degeneration has set in since the second sin entered, or it was the direct result of bad genes that were very possibly affect by my natural mother's penchant for illicit drugs, which also caused heart defects in most of her children.

Was it God's will that Anna's heart be defective? Why would I think that for even a second? No, because if I did, I would have to believe that it was God's will for sin to enter this world.

Has God's will been done, perhaps through methods that would have been different otherwise, even though she was born with this issue? I definitely think so. There is a difference between God permitting something to happen vs it being His desire. He has taken this result of sin and made good come of it.

Did I pray for her? I most certainly did! Did I think it would change anything? Definitely! Did it? I honestly believe that the answer is yes. I do believe that what changed was the degree of good that came about because of it. Did the prayer change me? Yes, but not because of myself...but because that prayer was answered. I was in God's will when I prayed for good to triumph over evil.

When Jesus prayed for God's will, He knew what God's will was. He asked if there was ANY OTHER WAY IT COULD BE ACCOMPLISHED. He knew that prayer can change HOW God's will is accomplished. This appeared to be the ultimate plea of a being torn between complete knowledge and complete flesh. He knew the what and how, but being human and knowing the suffering, being spiritual and knowing the forsaking...both being laid before him in a matter of hours, he cried out in both the spirit and the flesh. He didn't pray in ignorance, nor did He pray in vain. He didn't pray that God's will be changed, just the manner in which it was accomplished. Nevertheless...right?

PS: If you've read this through, there's your proof that I can't count. ;-)

#29 Gina B, Nov 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2009
  10. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

My statement was that prayer does not change God, it changes us. I want to be careful here, because we have scripture passages that must be resolved.

First, a number of scripture verses plainly say that God does not change. God himself said he does not change.

For example:
    I Sam 15:29 He who is the Glory of Israel does not lie or change his mind; for he is not a man, that he should change his mind."

On the other hand:
    James 5:16 16 Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

But:
    Ephesians 1:11 ....him who worketh all things after the counsel of his will.

John Piper has some thoughts on how to resolve those apparent contradictions.
    Read the whole article here:http://www.fivesolas.com/prov_pra.htm

11. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I guess then that it means nothing to 'stand in the gap' or to pray for a lost friend or family member. After all, if there is no affect then why stand in the gap or pray for someone who is lost? Here is where one is lead down the slippery slope to fatalism.

#31 sag38, Nov 10, 2009
  12. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Amen to both of you. IMHO, you both make excellent points, but so have others (it's odd, the subject of prayer has been on my mind recently).

Consider the model given us:
    After this manner therefore pray ye......Thy will be done, as in heaven, so on earth. Mt 6:9,10

I believe if we're not real careful our prayers can tend to be selfish requests rather than in accordance with His will. But thank God, He knows what we need and He knows our infirmity:

And in like manner the Spirit also helpeth our infirmity: for we know not how to pray as we ought; but the Spirit himself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered; and he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God. Ro 8:26,27

I believe that prayer can be an attitude on our part that inwardly, quietly, begs the Spirit to pray for us.

Larry.

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

But we clearly see in Scripture that God DOES will that some be born with defects and it has nothing to do with sin. When Jesus and His disciples encountered a man born blind, the disciples asked who sinned that he would be blind. Jesus said, "It was not that this man sinned, or his parents, but that the works of God might be displayed in him" We don't know the purpose of your daughter having a heart defect and if it was God's desire that it happen or if it was a result of a fallen world. But we can have full confidence that Jesus' reply is a word to us as well as His disciples: "that the works of God might be displayed in him". Your daughter's defect can be used to show the works of God in some way. We don't know how, we don't know when but we can have assurance that it didn't happen outside of God's sight.

14. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to my view it is not an either/or; God having exhaustive foreknowledge does not necessarily lead to Him having predetermined all events. I believe God, in His infinite knowledge and wisdom has allowed for libertarian freedoms in creational design. What you would consider “based” on EF I consider better explained within regard to truth factors and needing more depth than how/what many theologians would commonly choose to define divine foreknowledge through the over simplistic view described by the means of Classical theism.

No, I somewhat line up with/consider a similar logic to that of Molinism with an emphases on the Trinitarian Nature of God concerning exhaustive foreknowledge which contends with that God retains divine providence without hindering man’s volition … it’s complicated, but you... “asked”.

15. PeterM

PeterM Member

Ann,

You took the words right out of my mouth/mind!

As difficult and challenging as it may seem, God caused a man to be born blind so that Christ could be glorified in a teachable moment for the disciples. God does what he pleases, and we can trust that He is righteous, just, and even fair in all His dealings. I am reminded of Isaiah 55.8-9:

8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
    neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord.

9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
    so are my ways higher than your ways
    and my thoughts than your thoughts.

In the context of this discussion, I find great comfort and peace in those verses. I would also challenge the first sentence of your reply. I would contend that while specific personal sin may not always be a primary cause of personal suffering, sin is still the primary cause... does that make sense. Whether it's heart defects or blindness, those things are realities because of sin in the universe.​

#35 PeterM, Nov 10, 2009
  16. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

1As he went along, he saw a man blind from birth. 2His disciples asked him, "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?"
    3"Neither this man nor his parents sinned," said Jesus, "but this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life. Likewise for Pauls affliction

17. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Even though I do not think prayer changes God's mind (because for God to change his mind he'd either have to have limited knowledge or his plans and/or will are not perfect), we are to pray for the lost, sick, for ourselves, etc.

We do not know what God will do and when we see answers to prayer, we glorify Him. So pray for your lost friend; if he/she becomes saved, then God is glorified. If she/he is not saved, then your prayer may have had some effect on you at least, and helps you to accept God's will. We all pray for things that God apparently says "no" to. We pray anyway.

18. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I believe another reason God wants us to pray is because He wants us to rely on Him and not ourselves or others. He wants us to be completely dependent on Him. When we pray we are humbling ourselves before Him and accepting our dependence on Him. It is also an act of love and worship and recognizing that He is our Father and He loves us.

19. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ye have not, because ye ask not. James 4:2

20. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I haven't forgotten this conversation. Everyone raised good points, especially about the blind man.

But right now I've had some minor complications from surgery and will be drugged up longer than I figured, so I'll come back when I can think clearly without the interference of pharmaceuticals. This topic deserves better than that!

Feel free to keep the conversation going! I'm enjoying what everyone has to say. If I forget to come back in a few days, someone remind me!