1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

God's will of decree & will of precept

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Hermeneut7, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Hermeneut7

Hermeneut7 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God's will of decree is that which He predetermines and foreordains will happen, down to the details. God's will of precept is that which He commands and prescribes for the obedience of us mortals. The "will of decree" can be seen in 3 aspects in Scripture(I did not list "predestination" as "unmerited election" here). The following are guiding passages I've marked in my Bible over the years. ALL quotes are from the NRSV. Read them all in your own preferred translation... BUT, do not skip around various versions trying to avoid the obvious.

Will of decree in general, overall:
    "All the inhabitants of the earth are accounted as nothing, and he does what he wills with the host of heaven and the inhabitants of the earth. There is no one who can stay his hand or say to him, 'What are you doing?'"Dan 4:35
    "The king's heart is a stream of water in the hand of the LORD; he turns it wherever he will." Pro 21:1
    "You will say to me then, 'Why then does he still find fault? For who can resist his will?'" Rom 9:19
    "In Christ we have also obtained an inheritance, having been destined according to the purpose of him who accomplishes all things according to his counsel and will" Eph 1:11
    "for it is God who is at work in you, enabling you both to will and to work for his good pleasure." Php 2:13

Will of decree over sin:
    "Even though you intended to do harm to me, God intended it for good, in order to preserve a numerous people, as he is doing today." Gen 50:20
    "...this man, handed over to you according to the definite plan and foreknowledge of God, you crucified and killed by the hands of those outside the law." Act 2:23
    "For in this city, in fact, both Herod and Pontius Pilate, with the Gentiles and the peoples of Israel, gathered together against your holy servant Jesus, whom you anointed, to do whatever your hand and your plan had predestined to take place." Act 4:27-28
    "For the Son of Man is going as it has been determined, but woe to that one by whom he is betrayed!" Luk 22:22
    "The LORD said to Satan, "Very well, all that he has is in your power; only do not stretch out your hand against him!" So Satan went out from the presence of the LORD." Job 1:12

Will of decree of rejection, or reprobation:
    "For it was the LORD's doing to harden their hearts so that they would come against Israel in battle, in order that they might be utterly destroyed, and might receive no mercy, but be exterminated, just as the LORD had commanded Moses." Jos 11:20
    "The LORD has made everything for its purpose, even the wicked for the day of trouble." (Pro 16:4 NRSV)
    "For the scripture says to Pharaoh, 'I have raised you up for the very purpose of showing my power in you, so that my name may be proclaimed in all the earth.' So then he has mercy on whomever he chooses, and he hardens the heart of whomever he chooses." Rom 9:17-18
    "and 'A stone that makes them stumble, and a rock that makes them fall.' They stumble because they disobey the word, as they were destined to do." 1Pe 2:8
    "These people, however, are like irrational animals, mere creatures of instinct, born to be caught and killed. They slander what they do not understand, and when those creatures are destroyed, they also will be destroyed" 2Pe 2:12

WILL OF PRECEPT, commands and instructions to us:
    "The secret things belong to the LORD our God, but the revealed things belong to us and to our children forever, to observe all the words of this law." Deu 29:29
    "But if you call yourself a Jew and rely on the law and boast of your relation to God and know his will and determine what is best because you are instructed in the law" Rom 2:17-18
    "He established a decree in Jacob, and appointed a law in Israel, which he commanded our ancestors to teach to their children" Psa 78:5
    "but is now disclosed, and through the prophetic writings is made known to all the Gentiles, according to the command of the eternal God, to bring about the obedience of faith--" Rom 16:26