1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gods Word: Sharper Than A Two-Edged Sword:

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Frances, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Frances

Frances New Member

Gods Word being the two-edged sword that it is, & knowing I needed forgiveness brought me to repentance many years ago., But I fear that many of the interpretations of the Bible I've read in these post many are not accepting Gods word as being a two-edged sword because they wouldn't bring conviction to the listeners, In others words you've dullened the sword of God. You, as the bible states, "tickle the ears of the listeners."

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Is there something specific you are referring to....? :confused:

3. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Can a person really "dullened" the sword of God. Does not the Bible say that the Lord's Word will go out and accomplish the purpose that He desires it to?

Bro Tony

4. Frances

Frances New Member

God's word will be accomplished when one accepts the truth of it & not some false interpretation. Gods word interprets itself when it's spiritually discerned & rightly divided. There is no private interpretation of it., meaning we cannot interpret it, only the spirit of God through us.

5. Frances

Frances New Member

Yes Pastor, many things specific., Like once saved always saved, tithing, tongues,etc. too many don't teach the truth about these topics.

6. Frances is KING JAMES ONLY, believes she can lose your salvation, tongues are for today, must tithe or your going to hell, and probably any other wrong distorted view of Gods word whether that be KJ, NIV, NAS, NKJ.

7. Frances

Frances New Member

Right or Wrong, you are wrong in all your teachings, I do not believe in tongues as the assembly of God teaches, nor do I believe one has to pay a tenth of their increase to the church to be a christian,,,,, but I surely believe one can fall away from God after he has known him.
    Rightorwrong, You're not right!! Just Wrong!!

8. Rachel

Rachel New Member

:confused: Frances, do you believe in the King James only and that others are not the Word of God? What exactly are you saying?

9. Frances

Frances New Member

I believe & trust the King James Version only because:
    1. It is from the original scrolls.
    2. In the last chapter of Revelations it says:
    For I testify unto every man that hereth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
    And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophech, "God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

Why would this not
    be sufficient for our salvation? Anyone with the guidance of the Holy Spirit can clearly understand it. I'm confident that the King James Version was given by the Holy Spirit but not so sure of revised editions.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

It's a good thing you didn't live prior to 1611! You would never been able to read the "real" Bible! :rolleyes:

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I find I learn more from scripture when comparing it to many translations, not one that is 400 years old. This wouldn't have been true 400 years ago, but it is today. I also get as much imput from commentaries, dictionaries, and Hebrew / Greek lexicon's as I can.

12. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Sorry I asked if there was anything specific :rolleyes:

13. Frances

Frances New Member

Webdog, remember, God is the same yesterday, today, & forever.
    I'm wondering why the new american bible left out the word "implacable" in Romans 1:31?

14. Rachel

Rachel New Member

Frances, other versions besides the KJV do bring conviction from the Holy Spirit and many are saved because of it. I am one of those people. The Pastor at that time mostly used other translations, not including the KJV at times. So how do you explain that? It's fine if you prefer KJV, but please don't say other translations are NOT God's Word because that is simply not true.

I agree with webdog when he said "I find I learn more from scripture when comparing it to many translations, not one that is 400 years old. This wouldn't have been true 400 years ago, but it is today. I also get as much imput from commentaries, dictionaries, etc."

15. Funny Frances if I am so wrong, then you haven't read any of my post. I do not believe and Biblically can show you that tongues are for today, THEY ARE NOT, I do not believe you have to tithe, but one should give from their heart out of thanksgving to God.

You being KJ only and believe that you can lose your salvation is WRONG how many people on here have to tell you that for you to get it ?

There are only a few people on here who believe you can lose your salvation. You Frances are WAY outnumbered. You come on here to try and push this false doctrine and it isn't working, you are better off leaving than to try and change anyones mind on the truth. If you were articulate enough you may be able to sway someone, but your not.

16. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Speaking of false interpretation, the above is one of the most egregious false interpretations of what the bible means by "private interpretation" in 2 Peter 1:20.

The phrase "private interpretation" does not mean that we can't interpret the bible. It means that the Old Testament Prophecies which Peter was addressing did not originate with the Prophets and was not revealed by them, but came through them from God Himself. What the Prophets of the Old Testament wrote were not their own private disclosures, but were inspired revelations. That is patently obvious when you read the following verse, verse 21, in context.

17. By the way Frances we too believe that the KING JAMES is the original version, and when I do my studies, that is the version I refer to, since I feel is the most acruate.

BUT I also understand that God can and does use other translations. There are some very good translations out there. God will speak his truth regardless of the translation we use, his word will not return void.

Now There are some real bad ones that I would never recommend, like the LIVING BIBLE which is a pharaphrase it is NOT inspired.

18. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am much more concerned about Frances's lack of faith in Christ as Savior than her KJVOism.

To say that a person can lose their salvation is to deny the very word of God regarding Salvation.

To say that Christ lied when He said "and they shall never perish" is, in my opinion, a denial of Christ as Savior and a pretty strong indication that the person has been tricked by Satan and his "preachers" into believing a false gospel. :(

19. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

Some people on here will tell her she's EXACTLY on OSAS. The extreme emphasis on GRACE ONLY (which is true for initial salvation) and the false teaching that the requirement that we follow Him after we are saved represents a WORKS based salvation is leading most today awayfrom the true gospel.

Someone once said here that Christians should be indistinguishable from non-Christians because they sre saved by grace only not by works.

I John 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanses us from all sin.

Both of the accounts of the Final Judgement (Mathew and Rev.) say that we will be judged on how we have treated our fellow man in His name.

20. RIGHT ON TCassidy
    [​IMG]