1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Goin' to El Salvador

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by USN2Pulpit, Apr 3, 2008.

1. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Looks like I'm headed off to San Salvador in May for short term missions...

Please pray that I can be useful to God while I'm there - as well as to the missionaries and churches - and that I rapidly become *more* proficient in my spanish-speaking!

I am so looking forward to this...

2. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Blessings on your trip and work. Learn as much as you can about their culture and be sensitive to it.

I was in Russia working at the Moscow Baptist Seminary last summer. Talking to a Russian pastor one day he said, "My church has just about recovered from the last American mission group."

I ask, "What was the problem."

He replied, "They tried to impose American answers on problems we do not have. They could not comprehend that our problems are different."

Have a great time.

3. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I will certainly pray. Crabtownboys advice is good. Famliarize yourself as much as you can with the culture. One can not truely "learn" a culture until he lives within that culture and even then there are some things you may never understand. It goes beyond traditions, customs and food, to an acutal philosophy of life that drives a person. Thats why a lot of Americans do not understand foreign cultures because they see everything with a noth american mindset.

How much Spanish do you speak? If you know anyone one who is Latino or there is a latino community in your area try to spend time there, because hearing the language spoken really helps in the learning process. Also have you looked into Rosetta Stone? No language program is perfect, but it seems to be one of the better ones on the market.

4. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Very cool USN, I may be going there in the fall with a group from our church and another in our association. I will be interested in hearing how things go there for you. You will be in my prayers.

5. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Hey SBC - it is a "partnership mission" trip, as you may have guessed. Get to go with Norm's group - and I'd be very happy to fill you in on it...let me know

6. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Yep - that's the program I'm using. I'm trying to speed through the early stuff to get to my level - and I do have spanish speaking friends, so I'm sure that will help.

Thanks for the great thoughts everyone - I'll be sure to be very observant, and pray that God will use me to be a blessing rather than a hindrance to the people there.

7. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have a great trip, and return to the homeland more burdened than ever for worldwide missions! :wavey: