1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Going out at the top of their game

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by EdSutton, May 15, 2008.

1. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Two more sports stars have hung it up, this week, with Justine Henin [currently ranked at #1, and defending (3 time) French and US Open, and WTA Champion ] and Annika Sorenstam (winner of her last two tournaments, with a tournament record victory of 19 under, in her last victory Sunday, at the Michelob Ultra at Williamsburg, and set to retire at the end of the year), both going out at the top of their games, joining the likes of such as Bobby Jones (Golf, 1930- holder of the four major champions at that time, US and British Amateurs and Opens), Rocky Marciano (Boxing, 1956, 49-0 with 43KOs as a professional Heavyweight Boxer, and reigning champion), Jim Brown (Football, 1966, MVP, All-Pro, league leader in several categories, Second most total yards, and most touchdowns for a year in his career), Sandy Koufax (Baseball, 1966, unanimous Cy Young winner, most victories at 27 in his career, career best ERA of 1.73), and apparently, although one never knows with him, Brett Favre (2008?, 13-3 NFC team best record, Pro-Bowl, most yards per pass attempt, one dropped 'pick' away from Super-Bowl, most career yards, passes, and TDs ever. Look at what the Atlanta Falcons let get away, in favor of Chris Miller and Billy Joe Tolliver!).

Pretty impressive crowd of seven "washed-up, has-beens", if you ask me.

Thanks for all the sports memories, Brett, Justine, and Annika. We will definitely miss you. :tear:

Ed

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I think you could make the argument that Annika has been surpassed by Ochoa. However, no question she was the most dominant golfer in the world for a while.

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

One could also make the argument about any of the above, except Rocky Marciano, that they did not 'lead' their sport in every conveivable category, for that matter, I would say. Even the great Bobby Jones did not win every single match or tournament he played in during 1930, but he did win all four 'majors' that year.

Yes, Annika Sorenstam was not ranked #1, when she made her announcement. She was injured for much of 2007 (and not at 100% for any of the year, apparently), and not only did not win any major, for the first year since 2000, did not win any LPGA tournament (She did win the European Dubai title), for the first time since 1994. Lorena Ochoa surpassed her for the LPGA #1 ranking, last year, about this time, If my memory is accurate. I do not know where she currently stands, in this ranking system, although I think she is currently ranked at #2, but she is definitely on the way back up, I would assume, having won the last two tournaments, in a row. So that is why I made the comment about each of them being "at the top of their game", meaning that each was performing extremely well. Justine Henin was actually ranked at #1, the day of her retirement, as well.

Gotta ' run.

Ed

4. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

I could wish that some of the pastors I have known might have taken the same approach ... retiring when they were still respected and capable. I have known too many cases in which they stayed on, struggled with either their capacities or their attitudes, and lost the respect of many of their people. How sad it is when a congregation breathes a sigh of relief because the pastor has "finally" decided to leave!

5. Born_in_Crewe

Born_in_Crewe Member

I know its a completely different type of job but taking it back to sport, that's sort of what happened with Dario Gradi, the manager of my favourite football (soccer) team. He had been there 24 years but when he decided to retire in 2007, we were quite relieved because although he had achieved great things in the past, things had taken a downturn and to be truthful he probably went on too long.