1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

going to church 3 times a week

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by corndogggy, Apr 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lately my preacher has been on this kick about labeling people as being "casual Christians", "straddling the fence", or "luke warm" (and therefore apparently going to hell), if we don't go to church on Sunday morning, AND Sunday evening, AND Wednesday evening. I'm sorry, but I just can't get into it. I was brought up in a rural church where my pastor was actually a full time coal miner and these services didn't even exist, and I guess that's what I'm used to. I value my family time in the evenings and I'm having a hard time with messing this up twice a week. Every time I attempt to go to one of these night services, it ends up being mostly a social happening, and with my social skills so horrible that I can't even remember 95% of the names of the congregation even though I've been going there for like 9 years, I really only end up talking to my immediately family, and quite honestly I'd much rather be doing that at home.

Just wondering what everybody else thought about this subject.

#1 corndogggy, Apr 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2007
  2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

When the church is meeting, why wouldn't you be there?

3. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Um, because of what I just said above. Which, I'm sure is evil and horrible, but, whatever. Just trying to be honest.

4. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

So family time in the evenings is more important than meeting with the church? I am just trying to understand exactly why you wouldn't be with the church when the church meets. Trying to understand what is important to you.

Have you thought about taking your family to church with you? Are these services lasting four or five hours? What exactly is the issue here? Again, I am just wondering why you wouldn't be in church?

So far what I have seen is "family," "don't know many people," and "having a hard time messing up" your current schedule. Is that about right? Or have I misunderstood?

How would you compare your practice to that of the early church: Acts 2:46 Day by day continuing with one mind in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they were taking their meals together with gladness and sincerity of heart,

It's hard to answer the question without understanding exactly what is going on in your thinking here.

#4 Pastor Larry, Apr 26, 2007
  5. AAA

AAA New Member

That pastor seems to be legalistic and the early church went once a week or so...

I used to be the type that i used to go every time the doors were open...

3 times on sunday...
    1 time tues-thursday...

6 times a week total and no time to rest and enjoy life and family...Now I go only twice a week on Suday..........

6. AAA

AAA New Member

If the church was going to meet three times per day on every day of the week would you be there?

I would not, because there is more to life then going to church....

Now, how many times do you think the early church meet? once a week or so?

7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Does that mean they were in a church service every day, do you think?

8. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Based on what?

Based on what?

Just to clarify, rest and enjoying life is more important than church??

Depends on a lot of different factors. From what I understand, this is not the topic of the thread.

I am inclined to think that they met every day since ... well ... that is what the book of Acts tells us they did.

I am not sure that they all met every day. But the NT gives a picture that they met more often than they didn't. I don't see any evidence that they only met once a week. Perhaps you can point us to that evidence.

9. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

It seems to indicate that they met to break bread together (eating), to fellowship, to learn the apostles doctrine, and to pray. And it seems to indicate that it was going on daily.

Notice how the book of Acts talks about people daily being added to the church. Maybe that is because they met every day.

I am not saying we should meet every day. In fact, if you notice, I haven't said anything at all about how frequent we meet. I am simply asking questions and trying to figure out why this poster said what he did. I am just tryign to understand.

#9 Pastor Larry, Apr 26, 2007
  10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I go three times a week, as that is when our church doors are open. Then there is the van driving, deacon ministry, sunday school teaching, etc, etc. This is because I feel this is what the Lord would have me to do.

However, your posts seem to indicate that you know how the Lord should lead others. It sounds very much like the Pharisees to me, or mixing works with the Gospel.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Son's soccer game on Wednesday night...Wednesday prayer meeting?

Son's soccer game.

Thursday night Men's gathering at church...night grocery shopping with the family?

Night grocery shopping with the family.

Sunday night service...attend lost sister-in-law's birthday?

Attend lost sister-in-law's birthday.

12. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

First, let me say that I am the type of person that is at church every time the doors are open unless I am out of town or have to work. I do it for two purposes. One, I believe in fellowship with my church members. I also, and I have told my pastor this more than once, I want to do anything I can to help this church grow. I am big on evangelism and I believe it shoul happen everywhere, home, work, public, and in church. I offer myself in any capicity<sp> that is needed in the church to help it grow and win souls to Christ.

I state that just so you know where I am coming from.

I can't really help you with your questions, and I can't tell you that it's right or wrong for you to go to church every time there is a service, but I did have a couple of questions of things that struck me in your post.

You have been going to church for 9 years and you claim to only know 5% of the congregation by name? I am bad with names also, but I make it a point to know that people that matter to me. Friends, co-workers, church members. We are all the Body of Christ, I would think that it would demand a little respect to know their names. Now, if you tell me your church is 10,000 members (or any very large number) I will stand corrected, but otherwise this would be one step I would take if I were you. Get to know your members.

Also, have you talked to the pastor about the "social" happenings? Does he preach/teach on these nights? or is it just a free for all?

I am not looking down or yelling at you, I hope you know. I just think that to get everything you can out of church you have to give it your all, and knowing people's names is a big step that way I think.

Jamie

13. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Really?? I simply asked questions. I have not stated any position yet, have I? Do you have knowledge about me and my statements that I don't have?

14. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

That is a question that makes a statement loud and clear. That is a question that you have to answer for yourself as the Lord leads. Corndoggy should attend church, be involved in minsitries, and anything else as the Lord leads, not as Pastor Larry leads.

To answer your question, I have no divine insight. Maybe you could share where you pick up your oracles.

15. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

No it's not. The little question mark indicated that it was a question. If I had been making a statement, I would have formed it that way.

I agree.

I agree.

I didn't think so. but in pretending as if you did, you misrepresented my position.

I don't have any on this topic, and so I haven't made any.

16. Salamander

Salamander New Member

I think corndoggy is being a bit judgemental towards the night meetings as being social gatherings and if he doesn't know 95% of the members then that is his fault for not being friendly.

I know the "It takes 3 to thrive" routine, but if most pastors actually worked a full-time job, not a 40 hour a week job, but a 50-60 hour a week job, and then went to church three times a week , he'd get to where he'd probably miss a service or two a month.

Soccer vs the House of God??? Never.

Lost sister-in-law's b-day party and miss the House of God? Never. She could come to church and have a much nicer party and there wouldn't even be any drugs or alcohol.

17. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Pastors do this and more.

18. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I have heard pastors like corndoggy's, but I take a totally different view. I believe the reason for multiple services is to insure all have the opportunity to catch one if they so desire, not to guilt people to come to all of them.

19. drfuss

drfuss New Member

After reading these posts, I just could not resist telling about my Father-in-Law. He was a Pastor for many years. If a deacon or other church officer did not attend a service (three a week) without first telling him, he called them the next day and ask them why. He saw no reason why the lay officials were not at church every service.

After 30 years of pastoring, he left the ministry and got a regular job. I can still remember him saying on a Wednesday night: "He did not feel like going to church after working all day. He really admired those deacons for their faithful attendance all those years, because he would not have been there at the end of a days work."

20. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

A [personal attack deleted] has spoken!

#20 Terry_Herrington, Apr 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.