1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gold dust and oily hands...

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Nov 2, 2006.

1. rbell

rbell Active Member

xdx,

the purpose of God working is to glorify His name. Another thing that happens when God works, particularly in a worship setting, is the edification (building up) of the saints.

The problem with your gold dust and oily hands (or is it gold hands and oily dust? I get confused)...
    • There is no scriptural precedent for it. Don't throw the computer & cell phone argument out. They don't deal with worship. This is supposedly a Divine manifestation...and that is dealt with scripturally.
    • This doesn't edify the body. It's not building anyone up. Even with tongues, that was about the building up of the body and ultimately glorifying God. This does neither.
    • It sounds to me that the motivation behind this is selfishness. You said earlier,
    Write this down: God is NOT Santa Claus. His goal is NOT to make us healthy, wealthy, and prosperous. His goal is for us to become like Him, and for His name to be glorified. For some folks, that means sickness, trial, and being broke. For others, it might mean material blessings. But it's up to God. Anyone who commands God to rain down gold dust is certainly testing God (a no-no, Jesus said it), and does not recognize God as God (presuming that we can tell God what to do). I do NOT want to make those actions a habit, and I pray you don't either. God tells us to not take His name in vain. The above example is a perfect example of the breaking of that commandment.
    • "Is it real" and "Is it of God" are indeed two different questions. The forum is doing a very good job, IMO, of answering the latter. Therefore, if it's not of God, then whether it's real or not is immaterial. Run away from it!
    • As far back as Biblical times, people wanted Jesus to "put on a show," and perform miracles to impress the crowd. That is not the way of God. He is not a circus performer. When He performs miraculous works, it is to bring glory to His name, not elicit applause from the crowd.
    • Benny Hinn talked about this garbage as early as 1999. He has proven to be a false prophet...many of his "miracles" are fake; he lives greedily and in gluttonous wealth; he begs for money constantly; he performs "miracles" to impress the crowds; and he preaches a heretical person-centered, prosperity gospel. So we have an example here of a false prophet pushing a form of "divine manifestation." Since the prophet is false, why should we believe the manifestation?
    av1611jim gave you a very pertinent scripture. Here's a few others:

• "... their silver and their gold will not be able to deliver them in the day of the wrath of the LORD; they will not satisfy their souls, nor fill their stomachs, because it became their stumbling block of iniquity. (Ezek 7:19 NKJ)
    • Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. Mat 7:22-23
    • If I have made gold my hope, or have said to the fine gold, Thou art my confidence; --- This also were an iniquity to be punished by the judge: for I should have denied the God that is above. (Job 31:24-28) ​
    No. It's not of God. It may or may not be real, but that's not important. Make sure you're involved in a good church that teaches God's word. The more you hear God (through your time with Him daily, prayer, Bible study, and the teaching of the Word and discipleship you receive at church), the better you will recognize His voice.

Think of it like this: If I called you on the phone today, you wouldn't know who I was...because you don't know my voice. But if I called you every day for ten years, you would immediately recognize my voice on the phone--because it has become familiar to you. As God's voice becomes more and more familiar to you, you will be sidetracked less and less by issues like this.

Sorry for the long post...but if it's not clearer to you after reading this, I know of nothing else I can do.​

2. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

i also asked myself why God should do this but they simply say that we haven't even seen the beginning of what God is about to do and that we cannot limit God and put him in a box and that doing this would mean that we grieve the holy spirit. These are the typical arguments. :confused:
    I have also heard stories about people suddenly having gold teeth and such stuff and they sell this stuff as great new miracles from God. But why is this stuff only happening among charismatics? What are they doing which allows such things to happen? And what does this mean? If this whole Toronto blessing and all these strange phenomena aren't from God then why do they happen and why does God allow this? How is the normal christian who goes to a charismatic church and sees these things supposed to know if it's God or not?
    And what about those which experience these things and think they are from God? How can somebody be a christian and have the holy spirit and at the same time be deceived? This makes no sense. God could simply tell this person that this is not from him. And after all there are also charismatics which bear fruit and which evangelize and people get saved. I bet that there are also people which get saved at Benny Hinn conferences. Somehow all these things are so unclear.

and I cannot get to know or learn to recognize God's voice when I dont hear it. I can only get to know it when I also hear it. when you call me every day and talk to me but i cannot hear you then i also wont know your voice in 100 years.

3. rbell

rbell Active Member

Did you read the post directly above yours?

4. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

X, I shall continue to pray for your soul, but you have been given instructions that you decline to follow:

Matthew 10:14 And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet.

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

you got that right

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

The topic isn't about cell phones or computers. You asked a spiritual question and thats whats in the bible. In the Bible God shows us how He interacts with man, want to know something go there first. Instead of moving from one ludicrous thing to another all the time, read the bible, get to know it and what God has to say in it. you will not find anything like this in it and scripture is our final authority, not the men you listen too, and certainly not their phoney spirituality they preach. What it all boils down to is a faith issue. Beleive what God has said or man.

7. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

I myself know how hard it can be to find a "mentor". I had a lot of questions like this 20 years ago, when I came to Chriost, and even the person who came closes to being a mentor opnly had mut so much time, because he was spending most of his time preaching on the street or handing out tracts. And xdisciple said he can't really find anyone where he is, or something to that effect.
    It is not so simple to just "sit down and read the Bible for yourself", because there are many things that are hard to understand, and even a mentor can be wrong. Suppose his mentor is from a false group?

People here are getting so frustrated, and to me, it shows how we have a comfy, secure "quick answer" system, and when it runs out and no longer works on someone, we can't deal with it anymore. we're just exposing our own deep seated doubts we have squelched down as far as we can, and an unChristlike spirit, and how much a mess the modern Church really is. With all of the debates on this board, where it seems no 2 people can agree on anything the bible teaches, I don't see how we expect this one person to just sit down and read the Bible and get it all right. We try to say "all of those other questions don't matter; just learn the basics", and that is an ideal we should stive for, but problem is we can't even define what the basics are, because everyone claims something is important that another thinks is not important. This is precisely what fueled all of those Catholic/Orthodox who had been flooding the board recently, pointing out all the division, and offering for their Church institution to be mentor to all of us.

All the questions may be annoying, but then that is life in a world where, as you all point out, God does not go "shazam" and prove Himself with flashy miracles anymore, and there are no easy answers. So maybe people like us have to fill in for his mentors. That is the kind of thing we are called to do; not just come up with quick easy answers, and then boom, finished. Such shallowness is perhaps why there is such confusion and dispute. Whatever quick answer works for whichever person is what they go with.

So think we should have some more patience. At least it's not another false group trying to proseletyze us, or someone attacking the faith altogether.

#47 Eric B, Nov 3, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2006
  8. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

So if reading the Bible is too hard because there are things that are hard to understand and a mentor may be from a false group, then what is left? These are just excuses. If a person has a true desire to know God, he can study God's word and God will reveal Himself to that person. God promises that if we seek Him with all our heart, we will find Him.

9. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

I know that answer, in theory, and I feel God has done this for me. But let's face it, as the Catholic/Orthodox kept reminding us, each person says this, but comes up with something different. That is very confusing to a person like this, and that could be an "excuse", but it could also be genuine confusion from witnessing a confusing mess of debating Christians. So my point here is that we as a body have been part of the problem, and should have a little more patience, rather than brushing him off and questioning his motives and salvation on the premise that everything about the faith is all really so easy.

10. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

Please review postings for examples of patience by many. Then inspect the fruit tree.

11. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Eric,

This was a really good post . . . like a thousand or so before.

Wayne

12. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Eric,

xx has started 215 threads and interacted with his discussions over 900 times . . .

SOOOOO, for every important question (for which he cannot find a mentor) he interacts on average 3 more times with electronic mentors. That is up over the last 6 months from around 2 interactions per question (during about the last 300 posts).

I have offered to find him a mentor . . . at first xx came back with cute answers, then the answers migrated to the woman pastor that xx is under does not have time and she might be liberal . . . so xx goes from a liberal woman pastor to benny hinn for spiritual needs to be met - INSTEAD OF TO THE WORD OF GOD.

Having offered to help a confused (?) young person find a good discipler, I, and no doubt others, do not believe that xx has ever sincerely looked for discipleship.

And as I believe that I have posted - whatever has to be sacrificed - discipleship is worth the price.

Thread after thread . . .

XX is looking for those that will tickle the ears. I serve a Risen Lord, His Words are not to tickle the ears and make one 'feel good', His Words bring pain and a reaction.

Either the reaction is repentance and submission to His command to be disciples, or it is a rejection of His Word . . . .

Wayne

13. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Oh please......

Let me ask you a question and I want a simply yes or no answer.

Do you have a true desire to know God?

Does God reveal himself to you and explain you everything you read in the bible?

If you answered both questions with yes then I guess you are as clever as Jesus and you got it all right. Wow! I am amazed. While all the denominations are arguing, while most of the christians on the board are even arguing about the sabbath and what else not we have somebody among us who has the correct answer to every single freaking question!! I cannot believe it. This is so amazing. I guess in the future all we have to do is come to you and you will explain everything to us because since you have such a true desire for God he explains it all to you and all the other christians which do not agree with you simply do not really want the truth! Yay! It's so easy. They simply don't want the truth, they rather want lies. The only one who really wants the truth is you and this is why everybody who doesn't agree with you is wrong. It's so easy. :BangHead:

I hope you realize how silly this is.

@ Eric

Thank you, you summed it all up. It's so ridiculous. Christians here are arguing about everything. I'm amazed they don't also argue about wether Jesus' name is really Jesus. But then they come up with this "Hey, if you want to know the truth simply ask God" stuff. But like I said there can only be 1 truth. There can only be 1 sabbath and so on. This means that a lot of the hard seeking christians here are simply WRONG. Not everybody can be right. These superficial answers really upset me. They make it look as if knowing the truth is soooo easy. Oh just ask God, just read the bible and then you will understand everything. :rolleyes:
    It's such a joke. Everybody is absolutely convinced that he's got it right and all the others are wrong. Everybody thinks that God explains everything to him but not everybody agrees with each other. I guess we have a problem.

This board isn't really a help for someone like me. I ask a question and everybody who replies says something different. It's so funny. I don't even have to reply anymore. Often I forget about a thread which I posted and later on look it up and the whole tread became self-governed. I simply asked a question and then all the people replied and started arguing with each other about who is right and then I come back and have tons of different answers. How in the world is this supposed to help?

Now where is the great difference to having a mentor? I will tell you what the difference is. The difference is simply that you only get 1 opinion all the time. This is less confusing. You simply always get 1 opinion from the mentor and of course the mentor is absolutely convinced that he has got it all right and that all his answers are correct but why in the world should this mentor be correct? Can anybody tell me why he should be correct?
    I really wonder what El_Guero would do if I told him I found a mentor who teaches something which he doesn't agree with I bet he would be the first one to tell me to get a new mentor. Somebody who he ca agree with. LOL.
    But actually it's rather sad and not funny. :tear:
    Everybody thinks he's right. The OSAS people think they are right and the others also think they are right. Everybody is right. They all have arguments and bible verses and what else not, it's such a joke. :BangHead:

How is a christian supposed to not get confused? All this arguing makes everything look so silly. The christians argue about everything and everybody thinks he's right while the others are wrong and then simply using arguments like "The others simply don't want the truth" is way too easy. Charismatics also read the bible, pentecostals also read the bible, not only baptists read the bible. You can ask 2 christians wether the baptizm of the holy spirit is in the bible and you weill get 2 different answers and both will quote bible verses to you and be absolutely convinced that they are right. This makes the whole bible look so useless because no matter what you think it says there is always somebody who says it says something different. What do you do in such a situation? Of course you can simply take the easy way out and simply assume that you're always right and that God will show you everything and that all the others which do not agree with you are simply wrong but how realistic is this? Ask yourself how realistic this is. To me this rather seems like a protection mechanism to make life easier. Life is easier when you never question yourself and always simply assume that you are right and all the others are wrong but why in the world should God teach you everything while he doesn't also teach all the other christians? But then all christians should agree but they don't. And then simply saying that the others are deceived and dont want to truth is such a cheap solution, it's so arrogant. As if there are no sincere christians in other denominations. When I think about this then I have absolutely no desire at all to even try to read the bible because no matter what I think the bible says I can never be sure that I really understand it correctly. This insecurity will always be there and I can never simply rely on the bible. But if you cannot rely on the bible and cannot simply have this childlike faith then you can also forget it. The bible says that if you doubt you don't get anything. This is a vicious circle and there is no way out of it.
    Nobody here is willing to accept the opinion of others. If I said that I was at a meeting and people were slain by the spirit and God healed people then the people here would simply say that this wasn't God and that Satan can also heal and that it was all just a huge deception and that being slain by the spirit is not in the bible and so on. It's always the same. If something doesn't fit to your theology then it's simply a satanic deception and this is how you deal with these things. Everybody lives in his own little theological world and shuts himself completely off from everything which is different and when he's confronted with something which he doesn't agree with then it's simply a satanic deception or a fake. This is simply a protection mechanism in my opinion. I'm so sick of this stuff. This way you can only get confused. Imagine a christian comes to you who was touched by God and he says that he can now speak in tongues (if tongues really a real which I don't know but I also don't simply say that they are not real anymore because I don't know it, I at least admit that I don't know it) and then you tell him that this isn't biblical and that he was not touched by God but most likely by Satan. What effect do you think will this have on this person?

#53 xdisciplex, Nov 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2006
  14. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

There is only one opinion that matters . . . .

God (in the Flesh) said: Go! Making Disciples! And I will be with YOU (as you are making Disciples)! From the core of your religion to the outer most pagans - go and baptize them in my Name.

Without discipleship . . . you ARE NOT a disciple . . . you are a seeker of knowledge . . .

Nowhere does Christ command us to become seekers of knowledge . . .

XX . . . . trust me . . . it is coming.

15. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

May God Our Father bring upon you that dark night of the soul . . .

or, may you find true discipleship . . .

Know that you and your personal attitude will go with you upon that dark night . . . you do not want to know that . . . but, it is coming after you.

I suggest - find true discipleship before the dark night finds you.

The difference between you and I: I never once wanted or desired the dark night. I sought the Father day and night . . . and then it came . . . I never doubted like you do.

Lord God, bring upon our poor sibling what You must for Your Glory . . . but, be tender, kind, and brief . . . grow the hunger for Your Kingdom . . . then bring discipleship . . . Please, Lord, let the purgation be brief. But, let that purgation burn from the soul all doubt and create a fear of You and your great terribleness and great Love. Let the purgation show the Light that radiates from You . . . But, Lord let it be brief.

#55 El_Guero, Nov 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2006
  16. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Are you wishing me bad things? I have the feeling you're trying to curse me.
    First of all you try to scare me and now you even wish bad things to happen to me. This is indeed very christian.... :mad:

I have reported your post. Keep your stuff to yourself and try to scare somebody else. I'm done with you.

17. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

Yes, to both questions. Not that I understand His explanations now, for we see through a glass darkly, but then face to face.

X -- It is simple! As simple as Matthew 22:37, Mark 12:30, Luke 10:7. As simple as Elphesians 2:8. As simple as Acts 8:26-39 As simple as Acts 10.

Legalism - which sabbath, which whatever -- has no value in determining salvation, no matter what mankind says.

Heed instead the Word of God. It does offer peace that passes understanding.

And, for you, please come to understand Acts 8:21-24.

18. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Why are you trying to switch subjects? If only the basics are important then I guess we don't even need the bible. Once you're saved you can throw it away.
    The problem is a totally different one! The problem is who is right and who isn't right and by the way there are also topics which are very important which christians also argue about such as:

-once saved always saved
    -is tongues biblical?
    -is being slain by the spirit biblical?
    -can christians be demonized?

I can go on with this list forever!

19. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

The problem appears to be yours. All of your answers are in God's word -- and He is the way, the truth and the life. He is the only One right.

20. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

yes
    yes. God has revealed Himself to me, but has not explained everything to me. And I, nor anyone who has responded to your posts ever said that we know all the answers. But, you are using that as an excuse not to seek God. If you can't have all your questions answered to your safisfaction right now, then you have decided that nobody knows anything. If you had read my earlier post you would remember that I agreed with you about the confusion of differing opinions. That's why I told you to get yourself alone with God's word and cut yourself off from the other voices. Now let me ask you some yes or no questions.
    Have you accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior?
    Do you believe the Bible is God's word?