1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Golden Baptist Theological Seminary

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Jesus is Lord, Jan 17, 2004.

1. Jesus is Lord

Jesus is Lord New Member

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Are you talking about Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary near San Francisco, California?

3. Jesus is Lord

Jesus is Lord New Member

Sorry... that´s what I meant [​IMG]

Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary... any info???

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have a friend who teaches there and thinks it is a great school. He graduated with his Ph.D. from SWBTS.

I think what they are faced with is much more realistic like the rest of the world. Evangelism is approached in CA much like what I saw more of in Europe. It is not like a one two three punch. It is building relationships and trust over a long period of time so that the person might listen. Golden Gate is more removed from the other SBC seminaries so they don't have many of the same problems.

The only problem if you it that is that it costs more to live in that area than most anywhere else.

But I have been pleased by the pastors I have seen that have come from there.

5. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Graduated in the fall from Golden Gate. My esperience was great but I was at one of the extention campuses. They are firmly aligned with the SBC leadership, so if that is a problem with you, don't go. I am not SBC to the core but started before everything went down so to speak and finished even though I don't agree with everything done by the SBC leadership. Because they are so far removed from the epicenter of SBC life they are a bit more realistic in dealing with life in general, then say Southwestern. All in all a great experience.

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Need some other info, if possible. My son's new position allows him to attend in the Brea (Orange County) extension campus.

Degrees, programs, facilities? The info on their website is "sterile" and I'd like the "real skinny" on it from first-hand experience.

Also, how does GGBTS rate with Southern or Southwestern?

Thanks

7. panicbird

panicbird New Member

go2church,

What extension campus did you attend? I know several people who have attended the Northwest extension center.

Lon

8. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I attended an extention in Alburquerque, which used to be a Southwestern extenstion but GG came in and offered help so that it wouldn't close. It isn't an offical extention with a campus and full staff but is a working agreement between GG and supported by the New Mexico Baptist Convention in an effort to bring higher theological learning to New Mexico. Headed by Dr. Ben Bedford, a former missionary and Southwestern grad. My dipolma still came from California in a pretty purple binder with fancy letters and everything!