1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Charlene, Dec 23, 2004.

1. Charlene

Charlene New Member

Hello to all;

I currently attend GGBTS. I just completed my 3rd semester.

I just finished reading through many posts in this forum (colleges/seminary) ..

I wonder what many might have to say about the school I attend ...

Forgive me if there is already one on GGBTS. I could not find it if it is there.

I hear, through talk on campus, that we are considered "quite liberal out there in the west".

From my first three semesters I must say I do not see liberal. I see a school whose call is to send us out into ministry, whatever that ministry might be ... a school who teaches the word of God ... a school which cares about its people, God's people.

Just curious for your thoughts ....

In His Service
    Charlene
    <>< [​IMG]

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

You probably know Dr. Gregg Watson. We worked together in seminary at the Physical Plant.

3. Coker

Coker New Member

Charlene,

I had the opportunity to have dinner with your President, Dr. Jeff Iorg, and his wife in October. I had a chance to meet him again at the Georgia Baptist Convention in November.

If Dr. Iorg is indicative of GGBTS then GGBTS is a conservative seminary that is missions minded and has a great heart for evangelism.

You have a great man at the helm and God will bless his ministry as your new President.

4. Charlene

Charlene New Member

Yes, Dr. Iorg is a great man. His wife Ann is an awesome lady, we have lunched a time or two now.

yes, Dr. Iorg was made for GGBTS. The majority of the students are mission focused. As for evangelism, many of us are down in the city (San Fran) each day doing some type of ministry ..

gb93433 ... yes, I took two semesters from him on Old Testament Introduction... did you know he and Kim recently had their 3rd child, Hanna Grace ...

Thank you both for your thoughts ... I am proud to be at GGBTS regardless of anything negative others may say ... it is a seminary going God's way ....

Coker, do you know Eddie at GBC? He is a friend of a friend of mine.

In His Service
    Charlene <><

5. Coker

Coker New Member

Charlene,

I know several Eddie's at the GBC. Could you give me a last name? If I know him I'd be glad to give him you or your friend's greetings.

If you see Jeff or Ann, please pass on to them that Alan and Claire of Truett-McConnell College said hello and they are in our prayers.

Blessings!

6. panicbird

panicbird New Member

Jeff Iorg used to work in the Northwest, where I also ministered for a couple of years. I met him on a couple of occassions (Baptists in the Northwest have typically met each other at least once, as there are so few there) and thought he was a good guy. This opinion was confirmed by friends of mine who had him in class at the GGBTS extension center in Vancouver, WA. I was pleasantly surprised to hear that he got the Big Man job at GGBTS.

As to the liberal-ness/conservative-ness of GGBTS, from what I gather, it is probably right of center, but not as far right as the other seminaries. This is probably a function of where they are. There are so few Baptists out there that you have to get along to have any sort of presence. This results in a pull toward the center. I am not saying this is right or wrong, just that I think that that is the case. Also, if San Francisco/Mill Valley is anything like Washington State, then they are probably not as concerned about the broader (some might say political) issues that occupy so much of the thought processes of the rest of the American Baptist world. Again, I am not saying this is right or wrong, just that I think that that is the case.
    While it is probably not as strong academically as, say, Southern, from my limited knowledge, Golden Gate will afford the determined student a good education with a mission focus.

Lon

7. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

GGBTS?

Liberal?

Who would say such a thing ... ;o)

I have noticed that many people that brand liberal quickly are trying to hide their true theology ...

I have heard it as well ... told them they were mis informed from what I knew ... and moved on

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think GGBTS is the best seminary in the SBC. They have been exempt from all the politicians in the south who like to fight. On the west coast and many other places people are busy trying to win others to Christ so they don't have time to fight.

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My son has his church pay tuition at the Brea? campus of GGBTS in Orange County for their staff. He just began this August so is waiting a year to take classes.

10. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

Well, you know as a graduate of The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary...everyone else seems to be a little liberal! LOL!
    I remember back in college (early 90's) hearing that GGBTS was a little more left of center, but from what i understand that is no longer the case. I considered going to GGBTS due to the fact it had such a great emphasis on international missions.
    Right now, i don't think any of the SBC seminaries can be considered liberal at all, and i think that is a good thing. Our seminaries now represent who we are as Southern Baptists.

bobbyd

11. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    GGBTS is a school that is in a unique position to go to the "mission field" without ever having leaving the area. Being away from the southern fundamentalism that dominates the other seminaries is a very helpful thing and has been for many years. Although the seminaries are becoming more and more monochromatic it is good to have at least one seminary away from the heart of the political, good ole boy epicenter of the SBC.

12. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Does Karen Jones teach youth ministry there? She is a friend of a friend and reputed to be an excellent professor

13. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Dr. Bob,

Where is your son on staff?

14. Charlene

Charlene New Member

Yes, Karen is still teaching Youth Ministry there ... she is an excellent professor ... she has co written a few books ... I know the students really enjoy her teaching ... she is really involved through the country in youth ministry ... shall I say some one says hello? I see her about five or six times during the semester as I order the textbooks for the Northern California Campus and also Dr. Bob for the Brea Campus ... tell you son to call me at the book store to find out what books he needs ... take care now ... <><

15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

A lot of folks would agree with you. The SBC is now quite worried about all the people leaving. Just read what Draper is all concerned about lately.

16. Broadus

Broadus Member

Folks throw out the term "liberal" for a variety of reasons, usually not understanding what the term means, at least theologically. I'm not sure where Golden Gate is on the theological spectrum (I'm a grad of SBTS), but one thing is for certain: it isn't liberal. The fundamentals of the faith (e.g. the authority and sufficiency of Scripture, the virgin birth of Christ, His bodily resurrection, His second coming) are held and believed. Such things would be dismissed and denigrated in liberal seminaries.

Bill

17. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I just finished up at good ole SWBTS in Ft Worth and can say that Golden Gate raises some eyebrows around the convention still. We all joked that its the "cool" school since you can go surf after going to class. Plus its in San Fran so its a great view.

Anyhoo...I think Golden Gate is a good seminary. I don't think it'll be in San Francisco much longer, but its a good seminary. Beautiful view of the Bay area. The ministry opportunities available outside your door are amazing.

18. Dave G.

Dave G. New Member

It's actually not in SF now - Mill Valley is on the North side of the bay. I have visited the Mill Valley campus and you're right, it is indeed a beautiful setting. Had you heard they were moving?

19. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Preach

Isnt it about time you updated your blog? That month long vacation to get married and go to your new church has gone on about long enough!

Welcome back

20. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

hey there Jimmy, I've been completely stacked and haven't had the time nor the energies to put together a substantive blog post. I'll try to get around to it soon. Thanks for checking in! :D

Everything is going great with marriage and FBA so I'm extremely happy and blessed