1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Good As New Bible Really Out There

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Marcia, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Someone sent me this link tonight and at first I thought maybe it was a story from a hoax site. It comes from Worldnet Daily. Is that a legitimate source of news? It's pretty unbelievable but here is the link and some excerpts. It was translated by a former Baptist minister.
    http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=39114

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

The article gives some sample passages. This is just one of them:
    This is the link to Ekklesia, an organization that supports the Good As New Bible, which also says that the gnostic Gospel of Thomas is included:
    http://www.ekklesia.co.uk/content/news_syndication/article_040623.shtml

I did a Google search and got this link where you can buy this "Bible." It also gives the endorsements.
    http://www.o-books.net/goodasnew.htm
    You have to read this to believe it. :rolleyes:

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

This one sounds true - but as a matter of course I always double check WorldNetDaily before I react.

I am not surprised,anything to make a buck (or a "few bob" [​IMG] ).

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

What really bothers me is the endorsements!!!

Look at this one [from source above]

5. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The British are already plagued by the "People's Bible", a work of similar ilk. Its rendition of the Song of Solomon would make a typical "Hustler" article.(For our non-USA readers: "Hustler" is a very obscene magazine published by Larry Flynt & sold in the USA. I don't know if it's sold in other lands or not.)

6. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Marcia asked:

It comes from Worldnet Daily. Is that a legitimate source of news?

Get a second opinion.

7. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

It's not hard to double check WorldNetDaily, as they usually have links to their source in the articles on their site. I don't think I have ever read and article on WND's site that was not true. Here are the sources for the WND story for the WND skeptics:

http://one.gn.apc.org/Translation.htm

http://www.ekklesia.co.uk/content/news_syndication/article_040623.shtml

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/3833693.stm

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Always a good idea when the source is a tabloid. The caveat is to make sure that the second source is not a tabloid either (just because it's in the "Star" and the "Enquirer" doesn't make it any more accurate).

9. Forever settled in heaven

> Barabbas becomes "Barry."

shdn't that be Barney?

hey, accuracy's important right?

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I am not sure that this book deserves the normal protection of the BB rules - it does not appear to qualify as a translation.

Thoughts?

11. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As you should when considering a story from the liberal "mainstream" media.

Case in point- the recent claims that the 9/11 Commission denied that there were Saddam-alQaeda links and the apparent refusal to give coverage to the rebuttals from the Commission and others.

Worldnet spins from a conservative angle to about the same extent as CNN, AP, the NY Times, etc do from a liberal angle.

12. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

I would call it a paraphrase, like The Message is not a translation but a paraphrase.

13. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

Case in point- the recent claims that the 9/11 Commission denied that there were Saddam-alQaeda links and the apparent refusal to give coverage to the rebuttals from the Commission and others.

Worldnet spins from a conservative angle to about the same extent as CNN, AP, the NY Times, etc do from a liberal angle.
    </font>[/QUOTE]So the "rule of thumb" should be, whenever possible, verify the source, regardless of where you first read the news. There have been times that many local news broadcasts have reported on "urban legends" as if they were factual.

14. NaasPreacher (C4K)

15. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I am not even sure that this one qualifies as a paraphrase.

16. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

HomeBound, Christ4Kildare closed the other thread so I couldn't ask you this question there, where you posted, so I am forced to ask it here were you have not posted:

HomeBound, I have asked you this question in at least three different threads but you always refuse to answer it. Is the reason you refuse to answer it that you know you can't answer it because it proves your "perfect preservation" theory is wrong?

"HomeBound, which KJV is perfect? The original edition of 1611 or the one you use, the 1762/1769? You are aware, are you not, that there are differences?

I will just post a couple for you, and you can tell me which reading is the perfect word of God.

In 2 Chronicles 28:11 which is correct, "LORD" or "GOD?"

In Ezra 2:22 which is correct, "children" or "men?"

In Acts 8:32 which is correct, "the shearer" or "his shearer?"

In 1 Corinthians 12:28 which is correct, "helps in governments" or "helps, governments?"

Please tell me which reading is correct, and thus the perfect word of God, and how you know which one is correct.

If you can give me a definitive answer that conforms to the facts of both scripture and history, I will convert to KJVO.

Thank you."

17. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    IMO, it qualifies as trash.

A dove is not a pigeon. Both species live in my'hood, and they're quite different birds.

St. Peter becomes "Rocky,"

"Rocky" is generally a nick for ROCCO; "PETE" is for Peter, and "Cebe" for Cephas.

Mary Magdalene becomes "Maggie,"

"Magdalene" means "resident of Magdala" and was more a "handle" than a name since Mary(Miriam) was a very common Jewish name. "Magdalene" was not her name, nor was "Maggie", which is, at least in the USA, short for "Margaret" or "Marguerite".

Aaron becomes "Ron,"

"Ron" is short for Ronald, not Aaron.

Andronicus becomes "Andy"

Although "Andy" is generally short for Andrew, this IS a legit possibility. I don't know anyone named Andronicus to ask.

and Barabbas becomes "Barry."

"Barry" is a FRENCH name, adopted into English. It certainly didn't come from "Barabbas".

Christ4Kildare, I'm basing my statements on names & nicks upon USA usage. Please update me if I'm wrong according to British or Irish usage.

I believe all English speakers, regardless of nationality, will agree on the definition of "trash", which this "bible" appears to be.

18. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I don't beleive this is a Bible. I don't think it is even a paraphrase.

I am going to coin a phrase as far as I know - I think this is anti-Bible.

19. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

I like that description! [​IMG]

20. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Scott J said:

Well, this goes without saying. The problem is that an awful lot of people are less critical of WorldNetDaily than the mainstream, because it's "Christian," when in reality their news "reporting" is frequently second-hand, unreliable and sensationalistic.