1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Good books on apologetics for a men's group

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, May 16, 2017.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    At our church we like to read through books for our men's group during the week and on Saturdays. Tonight we had a brainstorming session on some good apologetic books for the Fall to read through. Many books were mentioned, and I mentioned a book by Tim Keller called "The Reason for God." However a highlight was Josh McDowell's "The New Evidence that demands a Verdict." But this is graduate level reading so people wanted to know if there is a condensed version of this book. Does anyone know of one? What good apologetics books would work well with a men's discipleship group? Please no seminary level reads, thanks..

2. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Beyond Belief to Convictions (Beyond Belief Campaign): Josh D. McDowell, Bob Hostetler, David H. Bellis: 9780842374095: Amazon.com: Books

It is very much a "dumbed down" version of The New Evidence that demands a Verdict.

When I taught apologetic to high schoolers i used The New Evidence that demands a Verdict as I thought it was more informative. I figured since I read it when I was in high school by myself, they could handle it with a bit of guidance. They did just fine grasping the concepts.

• Like Like x 1
  3. bomac17

bomac17 New Member
    Site Supporter

"On Guard" by William Lane Craig is good introduction to apologetics.

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Evidence That Demands a Verdict was in our homeschool curriculum for 8th grade - I don't think it is too scholarly to use for grown adult men.

• Like Like x 2
  5. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks..

6. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The book is still too big and detailed. We may use it but probably not.

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think McDowell's book is written at a graduate level, although it does go into detail. I guess the first question you should ask is "what is the purpose of the class?". If it is to fellowship over some apologetic topics, then I think there are several options (for example, Geisler's "The Big Book of Christian Apologetics" may do the trick). If this is a class intended to disciple members in defending their faith against other faiths and beliefs, then I think you may need material that provides more depth than you are looking for.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That looks like a college level textbook but who knows we may use it. Thanks.

9. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    New Evidence is an update of Evidence I and II by McDowell.

But nobody who has read it could ever think it was college level. It is hardly high school level. Like most of Josh's books it is a populist aimed book, and most of the people read at about the 5th grade level.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We should always have answer for the faith that is in us. That said, there is some truth to this quote:

“He who first invented the notion of defending Christianity is de facto Judas; he also betrays with a kiss, only his treachery is that of stupidity.”

(Søren Kierkegaard, The Sickness Unto Death)