1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Good for Baptist Women; SBC Still Not Listening

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by jaigner, Jun 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Amen, sister! I know I have a great wife, that is about as strong willed as you can get (certainly keeps me in my place!). And she will be the first one to stand up against "woman pastors."

(She also gets mad at feminists. She says "Guys used to open the door for us every where we went, put their coat down in the mud...those feminists RUINED it for us!)

2. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

My comment was not intended as an attack, but to reveal his methods, and expose his flawed liberal logic.

3. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Like I said in another post "Liberals Sheeeeeesh"

Some claim not to be liberals, the poster is very liberal.

Makes me wonder if they don't believe one part of the Bible today, I wonder what part they will justify not believing tomorrow???

Liberals Sheeeeeesh!

4. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

What sincere Chrsitians SHOULD do though who have honest disagreements with what their Church holds to and professes...

IF the group will not change to their viewpoints, and if the area is one of conviction...

they should leave and find another Chritian body sharing their views, not spliting up former Church!

5. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

It isn't a liberal conservative issue. Some very conservative groups, like Assembly of God and Church of the Nazarene have women pastors. And they do so based on their understanding of the scriptures.

I do believe many of those adamant about keeping to the letter and proof texting no women pastors are not willing to shine the same light on men pastors.

How many single male pastors are there? How are they husbands of one wife?

How many have kids run amuck and keep pastoring?

How many are not well thought of in the community and keep pastoring?

How many men are seen as "elders" when they are not even middle aged?

It does indeed seem we are selective what we take literally and what we don't.

But then, since I don't believe the church has ANY "unordained" members, I don't have a dog in this race.

6. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

The problem is not the ladies going into the ministry it that the men are not willing to step up and answer God's call. A woman is not to snatch away (usurp) the authority of a man. Men are to be at the forfront and while many are a greater number of men are not willing to assume the role of Youth director, music minister etc... and leave it to women to fill.

Never ever is a woman to be in authority over a man in teaching of scripture, when men don't speak up they are the one to blame.

Put the blame on the men who are inviolation ofscripture and who are too timid to take a stand on the word of God.

#66 revmwc, Jun 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2011
  7. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

yes, see it as the Biblical mandate of "Headship" of the Man in his role within the Church...

Like it or not, the Lord did lay out the principle that the "Chief" spiritual authority within a local assembly is to be a Male Pastor!

Godly women CAN teach sunday school classes, children etc BUT head authority/headship role is that of a Godly male!

8. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Fixed the errorer in my thread the post you have reveals it.

9. mandym

mandym New Member

Look all I said was that the groups listed in the article were liberal and it did not surprise me that they supported women pastors. The issue of women pastors is a liberal issue to be sure. It is not a conservative view. Those who hold this view may or may not hold other conservative views but that does not make women pastors any less liberal.

10. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

See, your credibility takes a real hit here when you imply that I'm not a "real man" because I refuse to contradict my conviction on this issue. I'm very secure in my manhood and don't feel the need to flex my muscles, defend some uneasy male faux dignity.

That makes me less of a coward than those who feel they have to stand up and, in between killing bugs, lifting heavy items and picking my navel lint, make some arrogant pronouncement that women should sit down, shut up and take their place in the pew, because they don't have anything to add that the Church, including the men, need to hear. And I'm married to a wonderful intelligent woman with a very dynamic personality who submits to me and I to her when necessary, and I can tell you she doesn't think I need to "man up" either. Courage and strength are attractive qualities in men and women.

11. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    crabtown,
    you say;
    To openly rebel against the scripture is not what christians do.There are no woman pastors except among man made religion.

12. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Good for you, parroting everything your pastors have ever told you. Way to go.

13. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Again, we see a failure to engage the issue; in fact, it is a complete refusal to do so.

14. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Right back at you.

15. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Actually we are engaging it. What God actually says is enough for some of us.

Our side is "God said it, we believe it." Your side is "I don't believe it, because that offends my modern sensibility" or maybe, "I don't believe it, because that is not what I was taught in college."

No different than the snake in the garden. "Has God truly said..."

16. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

The problem with the liberal/conservative debate is that often they are seen as political/social rather than theological. These two groups today, while they hold to political/social conservative issues, they do not have a good view of one of the most critical theological issue of our day, the sufficiency of Scripture.

The Sufficiency of Scripture is the one issue both of these groups do not hold to. In fact, the major fight right now in the SBC is the fight for the sufficiency of Scripture. Spurgeon calls this fight as one being the fight against the Downgrade, which is the predecessor to the word "liberalism." He believed, as I do too, that without sufficiency you will soon find yourself in apostasy.

The SBC seems to have some positive movements towards suffciency with men like Mohler and Aiken. The other groups mentioned have long lost the fight on sufficiency which is going to cause a great amount of fight over their future and will lead to greater collapse.

17. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

I totally agree, and those are excellent rebuttals brother!!!! Not only that, they are Truth.

18. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Exactly HD...good post...
    why would the Holy Spirit have Paul go back to the fall and give the explanation of the woman being....utterly deceived....just before giving the qualifications for male leadership

19. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This section is so clear...I do not know how it could be spoken any clearer.
    The idea that we have somehow "progressed" beyond what the Apostles understood is to depart from truth.
    When some look at an issue pragmatically, and emotionally....instead of just the scripture as written...trouble and spiritual decay follow close behind.
    the 1689 says;
    ._____ The authority of the Holy Scripture, for which it ought to be believed, dependeth not upon the testimony of any man or church, but wholly upon God (who is truth itself), the author thereof; therefore it is to be received because it is the Word of God.
    ( 2 Peter 1:19-21; 2 Timothy 3:16; 2 Thessalonians 2:13; 1 John 5:9 )

5._____We may be moved and induced by the testimony of the church of God to an high and reverent esteem of the Holy Scriptures; and the heavenliness of the matter, the efficacy of the doctrine, and the majesty of the style, the consent of all the parts, the scope of the whole (which is to give all glory to God), the full discovery it makes of the only way of man's salvation, and many other incomparable excellencies, and entire perfections thereof, are arguments whereby it doth abundantly evidence itself to be the Word of God; yet notwithstanding, our full persuasion and assurance of the infallible truth, and divine authority thereof, is from the inward work of the Holy Spirit bearing witness by and with the Word in our hearts.
    ( John 16:13,14; 1 Corinthians 2:10-12; 1 John 2:20, 27)

6._____The whole counsel of God concerning all things necessary for his own glory, man's salvation, faith and life, is either expressly set down or necessarily contained in the Holy Scripture: unto which nothing at any time is to be added, whether by new revelation of the Spirit, or traditions of men. Nevertheless, we acknowledge the inward illumination of the Spirit of God to be necessary for the saving understanding of such things as are revealed in the Word, and that there are some circumstances concerning the worship of God, and government of the church, common to human actions and societies, which are to be ordered by the light of nature and Christian prudence, according to the general rules of the Word, which are always to be observed.
    ( 2 Timothy 3:15-17; Galatians 1:8,9; John 6:45; 1 Corinthians 2:9-12; 1 Corinthians 11:13, 14; 1 Corinthians 14:26,40)

20. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

1 Timothy 2: 12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
    13For Adam was first formed, then Eve.
    14And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.

Did Paul not to teach children no, or other women no but over a man she is not to teach nor have authority as a spiritual leader over him. As the Pastor of the church she would be doing exactly that.
    Can she be a minister of music yes, a youth director up to a certain age for the males yes, where do we stop that when they become considered men. does she need to be ordained to do those, of course not. So why the push for ordination? Because it gives them authority tehy can then usurp man's authority because now they are ordained.

In this same passage Paul says, 7 Whereunto I am ordained a preacher, and an apostle, (I speak the truth in Christ, and lie not;) a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and verity.

Paul also said, "11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection", when we are sitting side by side in church my wife will lean over and ask about what was said as she writes notes in silence, that I believe is what Paul meant here.

Don't disrupt the service, does the woman have a voice in the business meeting you bet she does, it is in the teaching setting in worship where she is told to be in silence. Just as we men too should be in silence so as not to disrupt the service.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.