1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Good for Congress some positive moves

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by ASLANSPAL, Jan 19, 2007.

1. ASLANSPAL

ASLANSPAL New Member

[​IMG]

Now lets have Nancy Pelosi have a voice she has been a leader in all this
    so lets give her a fair shake.

[​IMG]

"Bully for the Democrats...They did what we didn't have the guts to do when it matters."
    - Republican Rep. Jeff Flake (R-AZ), January 5, 2007

That is what one of my Republican colleagues had to say about the first act of the Democratic majority, clamping down on corruption, lobbying, and earmarks.

His sentiment was echoed in editorial pages across the country, along with many Republicans and millions of Americans, who are fully awakening to the optimism and possibility of a new direction in our government.

After endless foot-dragging, watering down, and turning of blind eyes in the 109th Congress on ethics, the first steps were taken to restore the public trust before the first legislative hour of the 110th Congress.
    The two and a half years that Republicans spent ignoring most of the 9/11 Commission's recommendations came to an end with the passage of H.R. 1, as the Democratic majority set dozens of changes in motion for a comprehensive, effective, practical defense of our nation by passing the 9/11 Commission recommendations.
    After a decade of Republican inaction, hard-working Americans got the raise they deserve when we voted for H.R. 2, increasing the minimum wage. No longer will a day's work barely pay for a tank of gas, nor a week's work barely pay for a child's check-up at the doctor. All who work a 40-hour week will now have a fairer shot at building a life and joining in our nation's prosperity.
    We gave voice to the hopes of millions of Americans and their families who suffer the brunt of humanity's worst afflictions by passing expanded stem cell research with H.R. 3. President Bush will be challenged to join us in supporting this hope, and he will know that we cast our votes in support of the majority of the American people who will not give up. The potential for stem cell therapies to cure diseases and alleviate human suffering is enormous, and must be unlocked.

We passed H.R. 4 to require Medicare to negotiate for lower prescription drug prices on behalf of the American people. In doing so, Medicare Part D will begin to shift from a program that tightens the stranglehold of big drug companies to a program that gives desperately needed relief to our nation's seniors. In this vote, we put government back to work for the American people, not the special interests.
    As we honored Martin Luther King's birthday this week, we carried his spirit of hope and opportunity, passing legislation to cut interest rates on student loans with H.R. 5 and eliminated subsidies for Big Oil with H.R. 6, investing the savings in renewable energy, leading our nation toward a brighter future, unbridled by dependence on foreign oil.

My comment: I like H.R. 4,5, and 6 as for stem cell its is a start and religious people of faith must be reassured and educated it must be done correctly and right with honest debate and less demoqougery and fear mongering playing politics. As for big oil ...great! stop corporate welfare we stopped it for others...big oil and its profits can pay their own way they do not need my tax dollars.

overall 5 out of 6 are good and congratulations to Nancy Pelosi and Republicans who crossed the aile and did the right thing I thank them as well.

And I like the fact she really goes out of her way to thank Republicans ..class act Madame Speaker.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rep-nancy-pelosi/progress-is-possible-agai_b_39019.html

Bettering the nation we love in ways both big and small are becoming reality. Democrats promised a New Direction for America, and in these first 100 hours we are all discovering that turning our promises into reality is much more than an obligation, it is our duty. Thanks to all of you for helping make it happen.

This is only the beginning.

#1 ASLANSPAL, Jan 19, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2007
  2. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

changed my mind.

3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well let's look at her list...

1. Implementation of the 9/11 Commission Recommendations. :applause:

2. Increase the Minimum Wage. Since few humans in modern society can live on 7.50 an hour I don't see how this is a plus. It is just giving teenagers extra spending/gas money. Those who work full-time jobs should get more than 7.50 an hour. The Dems took the easy way out on this one. Thumbs Down!

3. Expand Stem Cell Research. :mad: If they are planning on killing more babies to do this then, Thumbs Down! If they are planning on taking advantage of already killed babies to do this then, Thumbs Down! If they were going to look at other areas then, Thumbs Up!

4. Negotiate Lower Drug Costs. Ok, but are they going to make things more difficult? That is usually the result of these bills.

5. Cut Interest Rates On Student Loans. :thumbs:

6. End Oil Subsidies. :)

In short, if those crooks have not voted themselves a pay cut, and set strong term limits on themselves, I am not happy with anything they have done.

4. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

I tend to agree with most of what they have done.

When a party takes over Congress, they usually do things that most Americans agree with.

In the next 2 years, they will become just like the Republican majority and go back to their own agenda, ratehr than the agenda that most Americans want.

As far as the Senate goes, I am glad to see some new conservative faces among the Democrats, but the leadership is absolutely horrid. Harry Reid is as bad as any other corrupt politician.

5. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

I'm not happy about any of these things they did.

6. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

I pretty much agree with all that Martin stated with exception of minimum wage.
    Although I do not work for minimum wage but I am paid according to my skill level. I have found that when minimum wage goes up so do my wages, raises that I earn are dependent on my skill levels going up but cost of living raises are seldom ever used in consideration .
    So this may work out as a plus for me.:thumbs:

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The House passing these items does not make them law. The Senate has to pass them and then the president has to sign them(or 2/3's of each house has to vote to override a presidential veto).

A lot of flash by the House Democrats but we'll see how much of it actually becomes the law of the land.

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Government action since Grover Cleveland left office has very rarely bettered our nation. That is still the case in 2007.

9. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

Although I agree with all of these democratic proposals, I doubt very seriously whether or not Bush signs them into law, and that is if they make it out of the Senate.

10. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most of this is just toothless "feel-good" legislation, they finished their "100 hours" yesterday.

# 1, 4, 5....watered down already , and the Senate's the master of that
    # 3.........VETO!!!
    #6.............terrible bill that'll actually increase dependency on foreign oil, NO.

Only # 2 will, the minimum wage hike, that economy-buster passed by 233-116, that's veto-proof.

The Republicans in the Senate have the numbers to filibuster it, but I'm not sure if they know how to do that, even the non-RINOs. Bush will probably tell them not to.

11. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Unfortunately, I think you're right.