1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Good online / distance learning Bible school?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by webdog, Oct 1, 2005.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

What are some good accredited distance learning Bible schools? I know about Liberty. I am looking for something that could be rolled over from assiciate degree to bachelor's and can be done on a self regulated schedule due to a newborn.

2. mjohnson7

mjohnson7 Member

Luther Rice Bible College

Southern Evangelical Bible College

Moody Bible Institute

Baptist Missionary Association
    Theological Seminary (small accredited seminary in Jacksonville, TX offers a B.A. in Religion)

Dallas Baptist University

3. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Find 4 seminaries (universities) where you would want to do a master's ('If you could') and ask them if the degree would be accepted.

The amount of academic bias I found shifted from seminary to seminary (But I found alot of bias).

I finally decided that extension courses at this time are too risky. That is definitely true at the Master's level, but it is also true at the Bachelor's. Since seminaries do not try to control academia at the lower level, there is sometimes a lessor amount of bias directed towards colleges.

4. ascund

ascund New Member

Greetings

Luther Rice is only accredited by TRACS - not any of the US Gov regional accrediting associations.

Southern Evangelical Bible College is accredited by TRACS and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (good only for Christian institutions).

Moody Bible Institute IS ACCREDITED by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. However, it only offers Masters degrees.

The Baptist Missionary Association IS ACCREDITED by the Committee on Standards and Reports of the Commission on Colleges of the Souther Association of Colleges and Schools.

Dallas Baptist University IS ALSO ACCREDITED by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern association of Colleges and Schools.

Lloyd

5. Broadus

Broadus Member

We must remember that TRACS accreditation is national accreditation, and TRACS is certified by the United States Department of Education and by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation. Consequently, there is not difference betwee Luther Rice and Southern Evangelical as far as accreditation goes.

Also, LRS some months ago brought on staff the man who directed Liberty in their achieving SACS accreditation, if I remember correctly. I expect to see LRS achieve RA within a few years.

Bill

6. Convicted by the Spirit

7. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

BUMP

Make certain that if it is not ON CAMPUS classes that the coursework WILL BE GOOD for master's study later.

Forget 'accrededation' alone, most schools become VERY arrogant when it comes to extension classes.

THEY will OFTEN refuse to count their OWN online classes to pursue further diplomas ... It DOES NOT make sence, but it is happening. After seeing how UNPREDICTABLE the process was, I just went to a residential program (ATS accredidated). Your other option is to go to europe, but again your degree might be worthless here.

8. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    El_Guero:

You said:
    Forget 'accrededation' alone, most schools become VERY arrogant when it comes to extension classes.
    THEY will OFTEN refuse to count their OWN online classes to pursue further diplomas ... It DOES NOT make sence, but it is happening.

==Worse yet this is really only happening in "Christian" schools. If you go to the secular Universities (etc) they have no problem with online/distance learning. The trick, of course, in getting around the arrogance is to not tell them you earned a degree via distance learning. I am not saying lie, I am just saying don't volunteer such information. The degrees transcripts from schools like Liberty make no distinction between online/on campus.

The Seminary system in this country is a bad witness. These schools need to get their acts together and learn humility. If a school is accredited by a US dept of education agency (including TRACS) the degree should be accepted. Period.

Martin.

9. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I don't think it's lying, imo. I'm currently taking courses at my local community college for my profession. I've taken both online courses and brick-and-mortar courses. The college is only about 4 miles from my home, but with juggling a family, some of the on-line clasees are easier on my schedule to. Ya know what? There is no distinction on my school records between an online class, and a brick-and-mortar class. Having done both, I can tell you there's no difference in the quality of the material. If there's any difference, it's that the online class requires more self-control and discipline, since you don't have the teacher there in front of you to keep you focused.

I see no reason to have to tell anyone which classes I've taken online, and which I've taken "live". An accredited and earned certificate/degree is such regardless.

I'm sure there are probably some class exceptions, but in general, I'd say that when we're dealing with accredited studies, any organization that deems most "distance" classes as having less merit are guilty of nothing less than selfish pride.

10. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Please allow me to add a slight corrective here. None of the accreditors are government accrediting agencies. Accreditation is by private groups in the U.S. The six regional accreditors are private associations. The DoEd does recognize them as legitimate accreditors. There are a number of spurious accreditors who are not recognized by anyone.
    Oops, again. CHEA is not just for Christian institutions. Check them out. http://www.chea.org/

11. UZThD

UZThD New Member

===

www.otsweb.org/

12. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

It is CLOSER THAN IT SHOULD be for believers to become deceivers ...

13. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

IMHO that is

14. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is CLOSER THAN IT SHOULD be for believers to become deceivers ...
    </font>[/QUOTE]==No, its more a don't ask don't tell policy than anything else. Besides it is simply none of their business. I would also wonder if it would be legal for them to ask such a question. Something to look into.

Martin.

15. Johnv

Johnv New Member

How so? The artifical presumption is on the part of the person who falsely believes that a distance class is less worthy than a brick-and-mortar class. It's no one's concern, frankly, how many of my classes were online. Everything they need to know about my education is in the transcripts.

Kinda like someone asking "how well" I did on my driving test. That's no one's business. All they need to know is that I got my driver's license.

Same with class-type. All they need to know is what class I took and what the grade was. If the transcripts don't distinguish (I can't imagine any that do) then where the class was taken is no one's business.

16. Brice

Brice New Member

Students at Liberty take both DLP and resident classes while on campus. I know this because I was a resident student at LU for 3 years. They make no distinction because there is no need to make the distinction. The DLP at LU consists of a lot of lecture tapes. They are currently moving to an online format, but for the most part it's the same Profs. teaching resident and DLP. A distinction is not neccessary.

17. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree fully with Johnv. Community Colleges and major state (and private) universities make no distinction between online and oncampus courses and programs. There is no reason for any seminary to ask questions about the method by which the degree was recieved as long as it is from a fully accredited institution of higher learning. I would also be interested to know if it would even be LEGAL for a school to ask a question about that. Does anyone know? Source?

Thanks
    Martin.

18. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

All education at the college and seminary level is looked at with a jaundiced eye by the secular world.This could have a great deal to do with why Bible colleges and seminaries are so careful about what they give credit for.Of course there are other reasons such as a first year greek course from one school does not prepare one as well as a greek course from another school. You have to be properly prepared at the lower level before you take the next step if you wish to be successful.A good example might be if you were to graduate from most KJVO Bible colleges your greek if you took any would tend to be on the lite side because it usually is not taken as seriously at those schools as it is at others simply because KJVO schools tend to think in terms that the KJV is adequate by itself and some greek training is just trimming.