1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Good question for a Pluralist/Relativist

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Jun 2, 2015.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If anyone has any please let me know thanks. Surely you engage these type all the time as they dominate our culture.

1. Would the statement that there are many ways to God be the same as saying 2=2=11, 5, 7?

2. If Truth is not absolute why then did Jesus have to die for the sins of the world?

3. Does my personal views such as Rabbits can talk, the sky is green, the earth is flat make them true?

2. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps my present lack of caffeine is to blame, but I am not sure that I completely understand your post. Are you asking for examples of stupid questions?

3. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your question #2 is your only valid question. The other two are nonsensical, and will only cause the person you are asking to think you're being condescending and/or demeaning.

Why don't you just simply ask them to explain Matt 7:13-14?

4. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that I misunderstood. Is "these type" a typo referring to individuals or do they refer to the questions given as examples?

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is still not a valid question. Jesus did not have to die for the world because truth is absolute.

6. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quite correct and I made that change here

http://the-dog-house.boards.net/thread/661/pluralist-relativist

2. If pluralism is true and there are many ways to God why then did Jesus have to die for the sins of the world?

7. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The person is a confessing Catholic but in reality a philosophical pluralist or relativist. She does not know the Bible.

3. Does my personal views such as Rabbits can talk, the sky is green, the earth is flat make them true?

Perhaps the Rabbits can talk question is bad.

8. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Relativism is the philosophy of the masses in the american culture.

9. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "These type"= relativism? I completely missed that one. :laugh:

Vein tapped... Coffee I.V. started... :laugh:

10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can think of a few answers. If pluralism is true and there are many paths to God then Jesus’ death was not ‘for the sins of the world’ in the way traditional Christianity would understand. It was “for the sins of the world” because His death would have addressed the issue by providing a path to God and an example to follow in this life. In other words, Jesus’ death provided a means to God for a people to whom that death would be significantly applicable. The gospel message was dependent within a Jewish context in that it is inseparable linked to the Abrahamic Covenant, to the event of the fall in Adam, etc. So Jesus was a Prophet who showed a people a way to God. Christianity can take this truth and live by it, but they cannot denounce other religions that seek, provide, and achieve the same which is evidenced in the way other non-Christians live their lives.