1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Good Riddance, Dan.

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, Jun 17, 2006.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/17/business/media/17rath.html?ei=5065&en=b8e59b4820c96816&ex=1151208000&partner=MYWAY&pagewanted=print

June 17, 2006

Moving Ahead, Rather Throws Sad Look Back
    By JACQUES STEINBERG

EXCERPT

The 74-year-old man with the Mets cap pulled far down on his forehead slid into a booth at a diner on the Upper East Side of Manhattan and ordered a glass of milk without so much as turning a head — so quietly, in fact, that it was hard to believe it was Dan Rather.

In place of the swagger that had served him so well throughout his 44-year career at CBS News was an obvious sadness that his tenure at the network was ticking down to an inglorious end. Mr. Rather complained that since stepping down as anchor of the " CBS Evening News" last year, in the aftermath of a reporting scandal, he had been ill used as a correspondent on "60 Minutes" and had been given virtually nothing at all to do for the previous six weeks.

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hope that Mr. Rather enjoys his retirement.

Courage.

3. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

When did it become Christian behavior to take pleasure in someone else's misery and problems? I guess, in some peoples opinion, it is alright to enjoy the illness of others as long as they are "liberals." If he dies will you throw a party?

4. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Proverbs 24:17-18

True.

The above scripture in the title says:

Politics aside, I have enjoyed most of Mr. Rather's shows.

5. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

I'm Rather glad that he's retired!

I wish him well because one of these days I hope to also be retired.

----------------------------------

Sign above office coffee pot:

DON'T CRITICIZE THE COFFEE!!!

One of these days you may be old and weak too.

6. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

:laugh::laugh:

Although Dan has had his moments, I enjoyed many of his broadcasts. Remember his pre-war interview with Saddam? I am old enough to remember him on KHOU-TV in Houston, covering Hurricane Carla. That is where he got the notice of the network. No, he was no Walter Cronkite, but he did his job well. I will not judge his career on the unfortunate Bush story in 2004.

"What's the frequency, Kenneth?"

7. JFox1

JFox1 New Member

Unfortunately, that happens more often on the Internet than you might think. Back in April of last year, many people on the AOL message boards and The Free Republic message board were rejoicing because Peter Jennings had lung cancer and was receiving chemotherapy and its nasty side effects. When Mr. Jennings left this world, not only were the AOL posters glad he died, they were jubilant at the thought of him suffering in hell for all eternity because he was a "liberal." I guess they believe God offers mercy only to conservatives. A few people even went so far as to give a detailed description of what they thought hell is like and took sadistic glee at the thought of Mr. Jennings experiencing all of that.

Something similar happened at the end of January, when ABC News anchor Bob Woodruff was seriously injured in Iraq by a roadside bomb. A few people wanted him to die and go to hell and be with Peter Jennings.

It was also suggested that Dan Rather should go to Iraq on one final assignment.

And these are just a few examples! :(

#7 JFox1, Jun 18, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2006
  8. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

It's been said that when we do get to heaven, we'll be in for lots of surprises, especially these two:

1. Those that we do see there.

2. Those that we do not see there.

See y'all!

9. JFox1

JFox1 New Member

I concur. I strongly suspect that the aforementioned AOL and The Free Republic posters who wished everlasting destruction on Peter Jennings are in for a very big surprise: http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=1310
    :praise:

10. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

If thou should count iniquities O Lord, who could stand?

There but for God's great grace.........

11. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Peter Jennings

There was a show I saw a coupla nights ago.
    It showed a Serbian boy, aged about 10 years old or so, talking with Jennings, and there were sudden bursts of gunfire from nearby, the boy did not even flinch, and when Jennings asked him if it did not scare him, the boy said: "it did once. but i'm used to it now"...or words to that effect.
    Then the photo of a grown up young man of about 22, in a navy uniform, inside a courthouse, with many others, who just took their oaths of citizenship, and the man in the navy uniform was saluting smartly.
    It was the serbian boy.

Jennings helped him and his family get to the States.

He may be liberal, but he sure has his heart in the right place which you wish you could say with both liberals and conservatives.

Those self-righteous morons in those boards don't even know what salvation is all about, the way they go on about who's in hell and who's not, like it all depended on the quality and goodness or evil of men.

12. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

Thank you brother for this wonderful posting!:thumbs:

13. JFox1

JFox1 New Member

Thank you for that excellent post! Peter Jennings was raised in the Anglican Church of Canada. He said he was a "practicing Christian." One could tell that he was. He delivered food to the poor and worked in soup kitchens after his news broadcast. Ted Koppell said that when he and Peter Jennings were walking down the street, a homeless person approached them, and they gave him money. Peter Jennings took an interest in the homeless person, asking him his name and talked with him. Some of the homeless people attended his memorial service. He also has the Peter Jennings Foundation, which fights homelessness and illliteracy. Helping that Serbian kid get to the United States is still another example of how Peter Jennings practiced his faith. Those AOL and The Free Republic posters were judging Peter Jennings when they knew nothing about him, only that he was a "liberal." Each Christian is given grace by Christ: But each of us has received his own special grace, dealt out to him by Christ's gift. Ephesians 4:7 Knox translation. There's a place for Peter Jennings in Heaven.

14. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rather abused his position and notoriety one time too many and is paying the price.

He is no icon. Just a disgraced "journalist" who let his politics interfere with journalistic judgement too often.

His 2004 episode, on the scale of things, was a lot less egregious and hurt far fewer people than other times.

I, too, hope he enjoys his retirement and wish him no ill will, but I'm glad he won't be able to shape the "news" to suit his politics like he has in the past.

Again...good riddance.:thumbs:

15. Magnetic Poles

I truly don't understand the animosity toward Mr. Rather. If you don't like CBS, there is ABC, NBC, CNN, MSNBC, Fox, Newpapers, Newsweek, Time, US News & World Report, the Internet, the BBC, etc. etc. Just change the channel to one of your liking. There is room in the marketplace of ideas for all sorts of viewpoints.

Now I must say, I wish Katie Couric well, but Katie, you're no Walter Cronkite!

16. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

17. Magnetic Poles

I agree! Fox News is certainly just a propoganda arm of the White House. Roger Ailes ran the place, and look where Tony Snow came from.

18. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like I said, 2004 was not the first time Rather knowingly used fraud to invent a story.

19. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Okay carpro:

kindly provide the stories where Dan Rather "knowingly used fraud to invent a story." That is your word, not mine.

My experience with Dan Rather is that he is a gracious man who was respected and well-liked by his peers.

BiR

20. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Of course he is.

Most of his peers twist the "news" just like he did.:smilewinkgrin: