1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Good Riddance, Dan.

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Did anyone ever collect the money offered to anyone who could prove that a certain national guardsman was actually in Alabama?

BTW, You didn't provide any proof for your claim, carpro.
    Going in a different direction doesn't work - please provide the proof.

Again, this is turning into a credibility issue for you, carpro.

BiR

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Especially if your political goals are to destroy a mans life. Accusations are easy and cheap, but do great damage that can never be undone. I also beleive it to be treason. It is a serious wrong and injustice, unless you are filled with hate or communism. Then its time to bow at the alter of dissent.

3. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know some are willing to talk about the harm they suggest Ann coulter does with her rhetoric but defend serious accusations against the President of the United States that were made based on known falsified documents. This is serious and damaging regardless of the lack of evidence. Accusations taken to far alwys are. And the sad part is they are easy to make. Hence the need for evidence.

4. Daisy

Daisy New Member

That's interesting - you really think that saying the accusations against the president don't constitute treason is defending them? And that saying something is not treason is the same thing or worse as accusing people of treason? You prove your own point about accusations in an unintended way. You pretty much prove my point as well.

I hadn't defended the accusations, but now that you mention it, I happen to believe the accusation that Bush skipped out of duty for nearly a year is well-founded and true.

5. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why am I not surprised. Except for believing our President did something that canot be proven, the rest of this particular post I dont understand.

6. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Not sure if this was directed at me, as this was written in very generic terms. But judging by some of our exchanges on this subject, it could be.

Ann Coulter is a shameless person who has no regard for the comments she directs at others. BTW, did you ever do any research about what she said with respect to wishing someone a "Merry Christmas?" Remember: it is so vile that I cannot provide any links to the story. How about the comments she wrote back in September, 2001 that got her column pulled from the National Review? What about her statements about the widows of the people killed in the WTC? What about her recent comments about someone shooting Murtha? How can this be construed as anything other than "harm?"

Now, I am not defending Dan Rather. I simply find it outrageous that someone on this board can just make accusations about him without supplying any proof to support such outrageous claims. After several exchanges, the proof has not yet been supplied, despite several claims to the contrary.

Whether or not you want to admit it, there is no accountability for the time that was allegedly spent in Alabama by a certain national guardsman. Rather should have known better than to go with a document done in a font that would not have been available at that time (utter foolishness), but this doesn't change the fact that nobody can answer all of the questions surrounding that time period.

Why is it that many of the same people who do not question this are more than willing to believe the SwiftVets and their shameful and overt attempt to smear someone who actually did serve their country in Vietnam? Remember: there is no doubt that Kerry served his country.

Regards,
    BiR

7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because many of the Swiftvet allegations were based on eyewitness testimony and never refuted.

8. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Why would you be?

It may not be proven, but most the evidence points in that direction; hence my statement of belief rather than trying to pass it off as fact.

Sorry for being obtuse. I'll explain phrase by phrase.

As I am the one who brought Ms. Coulter into this thread with the comment on the real harm she does by accusing all liberals and nearly all Democrats of the high crime of treason, I assumed you were referring to me. Was I correct or incorrect in this assumption?

If I am incorrect, then, to quote Emily Litella, nevermind - skip the rest of the explanation.
    "Them" meaning the accusations. I hadn't defended the validity of the accusations. Up to then, I had merely maintained that the accusations did not constitute the high crime of treason (which is punishable by death). I may as well add here that calling the papers "forged military documents" is an overstatement.

The "but" in your statement implies a contradiction. You seem to be saying that condemning Coulter's accusations while defending accusations against Bush is contradictary - did I understand you correctly here?

The problem with that is that I was not defending accusations against Bush, I was condemning accusations against Rather - the same accusation Coulter levels at liberals & Democrats in her tome "Treason" - so there is no contradiction on my part.

However, you seem to be saying here that Coulter accusing people of treason is pretty much the same as defending Rather of the charge.

You seemed to be accusing me of defending the accusations against Bush, hence you'd be proving your own point about how sad yet easy accusations are to make.

Coulter makes serious and damaging accusations without evidence and that is harmful.

That's been covered sufficiently, I think.

I hope this clears up the confusion my other post caused. :)

9. Daisy

Daisy New Member

That's not true. Only one member of Kerry's own crew - who would be in position to be an eyewitness - alleged anything and he was contradicted by the other members of the crew, the man Kerry rescued and the official reports.

10. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did Rather know the documents were questionable?

Two days before the program aired, he said he had not "been involved in this much checking on a story since Watergate."

This was directly following his interview with Marcel Matley in which Matley made clear his authentication of the signatures was "equivocal and limited".

A red flag to an honest journalist, but not to Rather.

11. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Kerry is fondly remembered by many Vietnam veterans as a traitor.

Most of them could care less about his phony purple hearts and questionable combat decorations.

12. Daisy

Daisy New Member

He is wrongly viewed as a traitor for the speeches he gave as a vet, that obviously is, after his service.

I've watched the videos and read the speeches. They were in no way traitorous. Kerry has defended his fellow vets.

Some people were paid to smear him and did so effectively through lies, self-contradictions and repetition.

Did you read the citations for the medals and decorations?

13. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes I did.

He's still a traitor. The only significance of his speeches is that they confirm his treason.

14. Daisy

Daisy New Member

See? It's the Coulterization of society.

15. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Part of the testimony that Kerry gave to the Senate in 1971 is a question and answer session that is much less well known than his prepared statement. In it, Sen. Fulbright asked Kerry how he proposed to end the war. Kerry said, “I have been to Paris. I have talked with both delegations at the peace talks, that is to say the Democratic Republic of Vietnam and the Provisional Revolutionary Government and all eight of Madame Binh’s points….”

Traitor.

16. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Changed font indicates a cut-n-paste, but no attribution...hmm.

Talking to both sides at a peace talk is traitorous? You mean he actually tried to understand the other side!!!!? O yeah, string 'im up, boys! Hang 'im high!

Coulterization of society.

17. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since when do I have to attribute what I write?:laugh:

Back on track:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bro. Curtis
    Dan Rather proceeded with a faked document, despite warnings that he shouldn't, in a time of war, to make our president look bad. I'd call him a treasonous dope even if I never heard of Coulter. Apparently, I'm in the majority on this one.

Did Rather know the documents were questionable?

Two days before the program aired, he said he had not "been involved in this much checking on a story since Watergate."

This was directly following his interview with Marcel Matley in which Matley made clear his authentication of the signatures was "equivocal and limited".

A red flag to an honest journalist, but not to Rather.