1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Good Schools and ACI

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Martin, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do people here think of good schools that choose to be accredited by ACI. I know of a small Bible college (Carolina Bible College) that is accredited by ACI. This is a good school. Solid professors, and many great alumni. The school is small. Their building only has three class rooms (one large) a full library, and three offices. Many important people have spoke at this school including Dr Norman Geisler, and Dr Paige Patterson. This school's credits are accepted by SEBTS and other schools. The school only recently started a online/distance ed program. I took some undergraduate Bible/theology/greek classes at this school in the late 90s (a few years before I started my MA at LBTS). So I can personally vouch for the quality of this school, its teachers, and programs (AA, BA).

However a few years ago, in 2000 to be exact, they became accredited by ACI (Accrediting Commission International). This move puzzles me. I am sure I don't have to recount the history of ACI here, so I will not. Why would a good school seek accreditation from ACI? Mainly when it would look like that school could get some form of real accreditation (TRACS at least).

http://www.carolinabiblecollege.org/

2. Broadus

Broadus Member

I don't understand why any institution would want to be associated with a non-recognized accrediting agency. I know nothing about CBC other than what is on its website. They do not offer ostentatious degrees (a doctorate in every field of religious/biblical studies imaginable), only certificate, associate, and bachelor.

Likewise their faculty is not loaded with professors who have their doctorates from Andersonville, Bethany, Southern Baptist School of Biblical Studies, etc. I agree with Martin---it seems as though they would be a prime candidate for TRACS.

Blessings,
    Bill

3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks Bill.

Another point I want to make is that they have not grown much over the years. They have had that same small building for years. They do some advertising on local Christian radio, but that is all. Why they don't try to grow, why they don't wish to gain real accreditation (which I think they could) I will never understand. They seem perfectly happy where they are.

4. Broadus

Broadus Member

Perhaps they've found their niche and are content with that. I wish, though, that they would seek TRACS.

Bill

5. Nord

Nord New Member

From what I understand ACI had a negative history and the problem is that just seeing ACI brings questions in many peoples minds about the quality of the schools involved.

ACI is an unrecognized accrediting agency. Used to have a wonderful picture of their Morgan building office on their web site.

Some probably do not try TRACS due to not being able to meet the standards. I do not know anything about this bible college so I am not making this out to be the case with this school. TRACS requires on campus programs, endowments, and libraries (in that sense more stringent than the RA North Central).

Nord