1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Good Singers From The Past Who've Passed

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Rippon, May 14, 2008.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is related to my other thread. My other thread focuses on the living, this one concerns the deceased.
    Name some good ones who have passed on.I am especially dealing with secular artists. I like the voices of various singers who have since died. That does not mean that I endorse their life-style or the subject matter of all their songs.I just like beautiful music.( Disclaimer now over)

Dean Martin ( 1917-1995). He is my all-time favorite male singer. His voice was matchless in his prime ( roughly 1947-1974 ). He was always on key and just put out beautiful music. His Italian songs were a big draw for me as well. He could croon better than one of his mentors -- Bing Crosby ( one of my father's favorites next to Mario).Among other titles I like 'Return To Me', 'Sway', 'Think About Me','That's Amore','Memories Are Made Of This','The Door Is Still Open To My Heart' etc.

Elvis Presley ( 1935-1977)Now get rid of the jumpsuited, sideburned cat in your mind. I am thinking of his wonderful voice. He studio-recorded almost 700 songs I think. I believe the middle of his career was his overall best era -- around 1960-1969.Yeah, I know that was the period where he made some rather lame movies. But some of his songs from that time were excellent( but kind of unknown). He could do so many styles of music. It's a shame that most Americans can only name 5-10 of his songs. I think that most of his most famous songs ( not all ) were not among his best. Some have said that Elvis started as a Rock n' Roller and ended up as an opera singer.Listen to 'American Trilogy', 'Bridge Over Troubled Water', 'Unchained Melody' ,or his later embellishments of 'It's Now Or Never'for proof.

I was born on July 19th,1953. Elvis made his first recording ( non-commercial ) on the day before -- 'My Happiness' for his mom's birthday.

As you can probably tell -- I could say a lot more. But it's your turn. What singers from the past do you appreciate, and why ?

2. Hopeful

Hopeful New Member

LOVED Dean Martin. His voice could be playful or "strong"...romantic or intensely serious. There was a "joy" in everything he sang.

And Elvis' versions of some gospel songs are simply beautiful. His ability to perform all musical genre equally well is matchless.

One of the most beautiful voices from the past is Patsy Cline's IMO. I didn't even LIKE country music the first time I heard a recording by her and I loved her voice. It was this perfectly clear and amazing sound....able to tell a story with the emotions that voice conveyed.

3. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Leonard Slye, especially when he sang with the group he founded. Know who I'm talking about?

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Judy Garland

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Keith Green

6. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tennessee Ernie Ford
    Judy Garland
    George Yance
    Glen Payne (don't know if I spelled those right or not)

7. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Karen Carpenter. A distinctive voice, stilled much too early.

8. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Tennessee Ernie Ford
    Eddie Arnold
    Jimmy Davis
    Jimmy Dean
    Harry Nilsson (Graduated with his sister) Singer song writer of the early 70's. "Everybody's Talkin' at Me" "One Is the Loneliest Number", "Can't Live, Without You" among others. "Put the Lime in the Coconut". He was good at many vocal ranges.
    Mel Torme, Melvin Howard Torme, The Velvet Fog. For obvious reasons.

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know who Jimmy Davis is. Jimmy Dean will be surprised to find out that he passed away already.:laugh: He was born in 1928, but is still living as far as I know.

10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had to hunt that one down J.D. My Slye was Roy Rogers ( 1911-1998). I liked his song with Clint Black --"Hold On Partner". In his singing prime his voice was smooth and melodic.His TV series was often watched by yours truly.

I kinda' figured that you were not referring to Sly Stone and his family.:laugh:

11. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Roy Orbison

Ricky Nelson

Luciano Pavarotti

12. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Well, Jimmy Dean must be still kicking. Jim Davis The singing Governor of Louisiana? I hope I got the name correct.

13. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

And did you get the group too? The Sons of the Pioneers. Bob Nolan (who was hired by Leny...I mean, Roy) was the real talent. He wrote most of the famous songs (Tumbling Tumble Weed, Cool Water) and he was the one with the distinctive, smooth voice. I have some RR DVD's and sometimes I watch them just to here them sing.

Roy and Dale were genuine Christians. I wish we had somebody like them on TV today. Theire show was corny, but hay, it was for kids like us and we loved it! BTW Pat Brady was a pretty good singer too but most people don't know that.

14. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Gene Autry
    Roy Acuff
    Ernest Scrubbs
    Buck Owens
    Tex Ritter

15. North Carolina Tentmaker

Johnny Cash, I don't think there will ever be another voice like that.

16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    David Black ( b. 1938) has the stage name 'Jay Black' He is connected with the history of 'Jay And The Americans'. His version of 'Cara Mia' is superb.

Gary Puckett (b. 1942) 'Gary Puckett And The Union Gap'. What a powerful voice! It was unusual at the time for such a singing style amidst the very different contemporay rock scene back then.

17. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey Rippon! Can't you read the OP? It says singers "who've passed". IOW, those who have died, not living singers.Black and Puckett are both alive. Get it straight.

18. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Jimmy Davis----sang that little diddie that goes like----You are my Sunshine, My only Sunshine/You make me happy when skies are gray/You'll never know dear/how much I love you/so don't please take my sunshine away

Lets not forget the "Queen Bee" of Southern Gospel--Sister Vestal Goodman

George Younce and Glenn Payne were two of my favorites

Of course, here recently-----Dottie Rambo

19. North Carolina Tentmaker

How about J. D. Sumner. That was an awesome Bass voice.

How about this titbit about JD (from Wik):

In 1983, the Guinness Book Of World Records recognized Sumner's 1966 solo recording of the hymn "Blessed Assurance." According to Guinness, the song contained the lowest recorded note ever produced by a human voice, a "double low" C.

#19 North Carolina Tentmaker, May 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2008
  20. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Mama Cass
    Jim Reeves
    Patsy Cline (my all time favorite)