1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Good Things To Say About The NLTse

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rippon, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I really like the NLTse. I think some unjust criticism is merely that -- unjust. It's a functionally-equivalent translation.But not 'loose' as some would charge.

From The Bible Translation Committee July 2004 :"Their [translators] goal was to be both faithful to the ancient texts and eminently readable.The result is a translation that is both exegetically accurate and idiomatically powerful."

Here is a text with which many should be familiar.First I will give a more tradtional rendering from the NRSV, then the refreshing wording from the NLTse.

1 Corinthians 11:23-26

For I received from the Lord what I also handed on to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night he was betrayed took a loaf of bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, "This is my body that is for you. Do this in remembrance of me." In the same way he took the cup also, after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me." For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes."

For I pass on to you what I received from the Lord himself. On the night when he was betrayed, the Lord Jesus took some bread and gave thanks to God for it. Then he broke it in pieces and said, "This is my body, which is given for you. Do this to remember me." In the same way, he took the cup of wine after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant between God and his people -- an agreement confirmed with my blood. Do this to remember me as often as you drink it." For every time you eat this bread and drink this cup, you are announcing the Lord's death until he comes again.

What do you think? The NLTse is one line longer than the NRSV, but the wording makes the ultra-familiar text refreshingly new. It does away with some archaic expressions also. Those expressions may be comforting to many, but awkward when compared to standard English.

So this thread is in praise to the Lord for His provision of the NLTse for 21st century English speakers -- native and 2nd or 3rd language users as well.

BTW, our assembly announced the Lord's death last Sunday.

2. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Great stuff, Rippon!

On my blog I just responded to an attack by Tim Challies on the NLT: Shots were fired but Never hit their Intended Target.

It has enjoyed 25 comments so far.

TC

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, I know TC. I've been following all the action on the various blogs, including your own. I just thought I would add my own little contribution here.

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    NLTse/ESV Psalm 15

The NLTse wording will be at the top, and the ESV rendering will be below.

Who may worship in your sanctuary,Lord?
    Who may enter your presence on your holy hill?
    Those who lead blameless lives and do what is right,
    speaking the truth from sincere hearts.
    Those who refuse to gossip
    or harm their neighbors
    or speak evil of their friends.
    Those who despise flagrant sinners,
    and honor the faithful followers of the Lord,
    and keep their promises even when it hurts.
    Those who lend money without charging interest,
    and who cannot be bribed to lie about the innocent.
    Such people will stand firm forever.

O Lord, who shall sojourn in your tent?
    Who shall dwell on your holy hill?
    He who walks blamelessly and does
    what is right
    and speaks truth in his heart;
    who does not slander with his tongue
    and does no evil to his neighbor,
    nor takes up a reproach against his friend;
    in whose eyes a vile person is despised,
    but who honors those who fear the Lord;
    who swears to his own hurt and does
    not change;
    who does not put out his money
    at interest
    and does not take a bribe against the
    innocent.
    He who does these things shall never be moved.

5. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Rippon, Have you checked out the NLT blog?

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just did since you mentioned it.I have been keeping up with Keith's entries on his own blog.

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There's another thread which deals with the KJV Bibles and the NKJ.Some are saying those two are different enough to warrant them as basically unrelated. Others say they are very close despite some changes.

So that reminds me of the relationship between the original Living Translation and the current NLTse.The affinity between the two could not be more distinct.Already the first edition of the NLT was a departure from the parent, but the second edition bears hardly any resemblance to its father.

Any KJV is closer to the NKJ than the LB is to the NLTse.

8. queenbee

queenbee Member

Have been enjoying the comments here on this thread. I'm no biblical scholar by any means, just wanting to get back into God's word. For a while, I thought the HCSB might be the one, but the more I investigate, the more drawn I am to NLTse and especially, the new ISV. Wow - what can I say. God's word is coming alive to me!

On your blog site TC (very good by the by), you provided a link as to what to look for in bible translation (thanks). Have you or others here had a chance to check out the new ISV for 'consistency' compared to other translations? Secondly, does anyone know if the HCSB will be undergoing 'tweaking' anytime soon as TC suggests?

9. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I used to have an NLT and I liked it okay. I just went to the NLT site and looked at what they have online from Genesis in their NLT Study Bible, including the study notes.

I was disturbed to see that their notes state that "God transformed chaos into the present cosmos." Where in the Bible does it tell us that there was chaos before creation? Isn't this what the pagan myths say?

Chaos implies disorder, something that I would think did not exist before sin, which was not around at the time. God is a God of order, so there was no chaos.

I am wondering what others think? Or maybe I should pose this in the Baptist Theology forum? I may do that if I get no replies here, or even if I do.

10. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

QB, thanks for checking out my blog. Rippon knows more about the ISV than I. I believe he'll get to it later.

Yes, the HCSB is undergoing some tweaking, and we'll these in '09 printings. I've personally spoke to Holman on the matter.

11. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nineteen pages of Introduction to Genesis in the NLT Study Bible Whew!

Page 20 - re: Genesis 1:1 "It describes making something fresh and new---notably the cosmos,
    I can't find the spot where this is stated but would presume that it refers to verse 2... where formless and void was transformed into an orderly cosmos.

Overall the NLT Study Notes provide a fair introduction without forcing a reader into an extrabiblical doctrinal position.

I'm not an advocate of Study Bibles but as study Bibles go it's okay. :thumbs:

Rob

12. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I made a grammatical mess. That is what happens when you don't REREAD before you post.

13. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I read it online so I don't know where it is as far as page numbers go (I didn't notice if there were page numbers online). It's a note regarding the beginning of Genesis.

"Formless void" is NOT chaos.

think it is very problematic to turn "void" into chaois, and say there was chaos; it implies God existed in disorder and...well, chaos. Is this how God existed before he created? It's a common theme in the pagan myths that their gods tamed the chaos, but I don't see this as a biblical view.