1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Goose Gossage Newest Member of Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by PastorSBC1303, Jan 8, 2008.

1. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Rivera wouldn't have the save numbers, or the postseason numbers, but his 2.35 ERA, 194 ERA+ and 1.046 WHIP are pretty gaudy numbers in their own right. Rivera's a lock.

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Did I really just read the name "Doug Jones" in a HOF thread???

Please tell me I am just seeing things!

3. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I think Tom just brought him up as an aside. Surely he doesn't think Doug or Todd or Davey Jones belongs in the Hall of Fame.

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Yeah and if Trevor Hoffman last for two more years, he might even get to where he has pitched as many innings as Bruce Sutter and Dan Quisenberry!

He only has another hundred to go! :rolleyes:

Mariano Rivera only has 90 to go to reach that 1043 IP mark! With the new manager, he might even make it in one year, but I won't hold my breath. :rolleyes:

Ed

#84 EdSutton, Jan 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2008
  5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

No. Just a glaring, can't get past it, there it is, kinda number. Big number.
    Yes...sorry...I have a friend named Doug Jones and it was a slip. Jones has some nasty stuff at times. Watching him pill the hill is an exercise in breath-holding. Kinda like watching any Reds pitcher pill the hill :laugh:
    All points I agree with. Holds should count for more. But the saves stat is out there and jumps at people.

More to come......

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Not an aside...a slip-up. See above. I don't think they belong.

7. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Just outta' curiosity, of HOF members, who here knows which player who got voted into the HOF by the BBWAA received the greatest percentage of the ballots cast, and which one received the lowest percentage?

Ed

8. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Ty Cobb was up there (although the voting procedures may have been different that first go around). I remember Tom Seaver getting a lot, as well as Nolan Ryan. You would think guys like Willie Mays and Hank Aaron would have received a lot, but I don't think they were the highest.

Some low-end guys were Tony Perez, Ryne Sandberg and Sutter, I believe.

9. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Some good candidates on both ends, I'd say.

Anyone else wanna' hazard a guess as to my question?

Ed

10. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I believe Tom Seaver got the most.
    Least? I think Ryne Sandberg. Didn't he get in by 5 votes? Catfish Hunter barely got in, too.

11. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Who were the guys who have never made it who just missed? Barely missed?

12. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Well, I wasn't so much talking about market-size as I was reputation. The Yankees have the aura that helps immortalize their great players. When time allows, I'd like to pursue this further..the idea of a comparable to Rivera.

13. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Correct on Tom Seaver with 425 votes out of 430 cast for 98.84%. The next four are Nolan Ryan (98.79%); Ty Cobb (98.23%); George Brett (98.19%) and Hank Aaron (97.83%).

The 'bottom o' da' heap' award at 75.38% goes to one who played in 2215 games over 20 years, with a BA of .334; 307 HR; 1827 RBI; .380 OBP; .535 SLG; and with a career FP (most of it in CF) of .982 (14 pts higher than the league average) and a participant in the first three All-star games (who was somehow not worthy to be picked for the fourth one in 1936 despite batting .327 and fielding at a .986 clip that year), Al Simmons.

However, I personally think ya' just gotta question a system where fewer than 4 of 5 writers thought Cy Young (76.14%), Jackie Robinson (77.50%), Rogers Hornsby (78.11%), and Jimmie Foxx (79.20%) were HOF worthy, and one that would rate 'slugger' 'Rabbit' Maranville (82.94% - career BA .258, 28 HR, .340 SLG, .956 FLD%) above the 'defensive whiz' Hornsby (78.11% -career BA .358, 301 HR, .577 SLG, .958 FLD%) and Dazzy Vance (81.67%) with an absolutely amazing 197 Ws (58.5 WL%) coupled with a blistering 3.24 ERA over 16 seasons above Cy Young (76.14%) who accumulated a measley 511 Ws (61.1 WL%) and a lousy 2.53 ERA. :rolleyes:

I'll add to that that fewer than 9 of 10 writers thought that Frank Robinson (89.16%), Mickey Mantle (88.22%) or Mel Ott (87.17%) deserved HOF status more than that of Bob Feller (93.75%), Jim Palmer (92.57%) and Honus Wagner (95.13%). The last three are all certainly fully HOF worthy, in their own right, but for any system to collectively rate them above Frank Robinson (12 time AS), Ott and 'The Mick' (15 time AS) is ridiculous and an insult to those three.

G'nite, sports fans!

Ed

14. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

To my limited knowledge, Gil Hodges, Bert Blyleven, Andre Dawson, Jim Rice and Ron Santo all come to mind as among those who have come the closest.

But I do not come close to knowing for a fact, how accurate any of that is. ;)

Ed

15. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Ed, I'll touch on this more when I have more time. But you're right - 5 voters didn't think enough of Seaver to even PUT HIM ON THE BALLOT! There are more.....More to come.....and more on the "so close, yet so far" folks......

I truly believe the BBWA system is flawed. It should be improved. Almost everyone agrees that there needs to be some tweaking. When Major papers like the LA and NY Times, et.al. won't even let its writers vote in the HOF system, you know something is up.

16. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

There's no doubt that it is. Go to that site I keep talking about and can't name and see the absolutely stupidity that's on display there.

Mike Downey of the Chicago Tribune made a case for Harold Baines based solely on hits. At one point, he said that Baines has 7 fewer hits than Babe Ruth, neglecting to mention that it took the Babe 1,600 fewer at-bats to get those hits. He doesn't think the Goose belongs in the Hall because he only had 124 wins.

Jon Heyman voted for Jack Morris, but won't vote for Bert Blyleven, even though Blyleven was better in every category than Morris.

Rick Telander didn't vote for anybody, using his blank ballot as a publicity stunt instead. He thinks Andre Dawson belongs in the Hall, and would give his life that Dawson didn't use steroids, but still didn't vote for him.

Some guy voted for Todd Stottlemyre and his 4.28 ERA.

Baseball Hall of Fame voting has become a joke.

17. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

18. TomVols

TomVols New Member

CCROB mentioned Rick Telander. Does he still say he'll never go visit Cooperstown unless and until Roger Maris is inducted? I heard him say that almost weekly on, what was it, the Sports Reporters on the old Sports Channel Chicago?

19. tank1976

tank1976 New Member

Thanks for the site. !:thumbs:

20. TomVols

TomVols New Member

You can also search by years (for example, the voting results for 2003).