1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GOP Debate: Who Won?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Rufus_1611, May 4, 2007.

?

Who won the 1st GOP debate?

Poll closed Jun 3, 2007.
  1. Brownback

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Gilmore

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Giuliani

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  4. Huckabee

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. Hunter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. McCain

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  7. Paul

7 vote(s)
    46.7%
  8. Romney

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  9. Tancredo

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  10. Thompson

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

A very good article. So which of these ten will you support, or do you hope someone else enters?

2. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I didn't learn anything from this attack on the candidates, but it's early. I'm still hoping a true life loving, Christ loving, civic and fiscal conservative will emerge. As it is, only Rudy can whip Hillary in Nov. '08'. But I'd have a real problem supporting him.

3. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

The good news is ABC admits that Ron Paul won the debate. The bad news is he won because Ron Paul supporters are better at clicking mice...

The Ron Paul Effect

Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, who barely registers in public opinion polls of the Republican presidential field, won last Thursday night's debate.

That was the unmistakable conclusion of the online poll posted by debate sponsor MSNBC, which registered Paul with higher positive ratings and lower negative numbers than any of the other nine candidates on the stage.
    Editor's Picks

ABC's post-debate Internet survey showed an even clearer victory for Paul, with the congressman taking more than 9,400 of 11,000 votes as of 12:30 p.m. Monday. (Rudy Giuliani is the next ranked candidate, with barely 150 votes.)

So are the polls missing a Paul boomlet? Is the famously contrarian ob-gyn -- a libertarian nicknamed "Dr. No" because of his propensity to vote against anything he believes contradicts the Constitution's original intent -- poised to surge into contention in the GOP field?

Not likely. What's more likely, based on Web traffic over the past week, is that Paul supporters have mastered the art of "viral marketing," using Internet savvy and blog postings to create at least the perception of momentum for his long-shot presidential bid.

...​

4. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

PAUL, NOT ROMNEY, WON FIRST GOP DEBATE

By Pastor Chuck Baldwin

May 8, 2007

NewsWithViews.com

No less than ten Republican hopefuls in the 2008 White House race participated in the first national GOP debate last Thursday, May 3. Even before the 90-minute debate had concluded, media pundits were declaring that former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney had won.

Even my friend, MSNBC's Joe Scarborough wrote, "During the debate I was flooded by e-mails from Republican activists and voters who told me Romney was dominating the debate." Scarborough went on to say, "Among those Red State Republicans (who will elect their party's next nominee), Mitt Romney won while McCain and Giuliani failed to meet expectations."

As with most political pundits, the entire focus of the debate centered on only three contenders: Arizona Senator John McCain, former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani, and Romney. In fact, in his post-debate summary, Scarborough's only reference to anyone other than these three names was a fleeting mention of the "Sam Brownbacks of the world."

Yet, when one looks at MSNBC's own poll, a much different picture emerges. According to this poll, there was a clear winner alright, but his name was not McCain, Giuliani, or Romney. It was Texas Congressman Ron Paul.

...​

5. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Ron Paul Builds Momentum

May 8, 2007

ARLINGTON, VA – Congressman Ron Paul's support has soared since the first Republican presidential debate. Conservative commentator John McLaughlin, host of “The McLaughlin Group," cited Ron Paul as having given "the best performance of the debate." In fact, the Paul campaign's apparent strength has many other pundits scrambling to explain it. Paul campaign officials offer the following examples of the candidate's rising success.

Since the debate on May 3, Ron Paul:

* Handily won two post-debate polls posted by event sponsor MSNBC
    * Placed a close third (18%) in a post-debate poll on the conservative Drudge Report
    * Won an ABCNews.com online debate poll with 84%
    * Won a C-SPAN online GOP candidate poll with 69%
    * Became the third most-mentioned person in the blogosphere, beating out Paris Hilton, according to the reputable Technorati.com
    * Produced a YouTube.com video that was ranked the 8th most popular overall video, and the most-viewed political video
    * Was featured, by popular demand, on the front of Digg.com
    * Generated so many bulletin posts on MySpace.com that the site owner News Corp. blocked all additional posts about Dr. Paul
    * Became a "most searched" term on Google and Yahoo!
    * Saw a quadrupling of daily visitors to RonPaul2008.com

"These figures speak for themselves," said campaign chairman Kent Snyder. "Ron Paul has quickly become a strong contender for the GOP nomination because of his powerful message of freedom and limited government." ​

6. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Isn't it great to have someone worthwhile to vote for! I pray he continues to gain strength and that the American people will see him as a great choice.

Wake up America! Here is the guy we need in office!

Jamie

7. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

More people watched FOXNEWS TALKING about debate than the actual DEBATE

FLASH: FOXNEWS O'REILLY TOPS MSNBC GOP DEBATE FOR NIGHT... O'REILLY PULLS 2,314,000 VIEWERS... DEBATE SCORES 1,762,000...FOXNEWS HANNITY/COLMES AT 1,548,000... MORE

ACTUAL DEBATE COVERAGE: 8-9:30PM:

FNC 2,023,000
    MSNBC 1,762,000
    CNN 599,000

The South Carolina Debate next week on FoxNews was originally only going to have the top three frontrunners based on the "polls". They weren't even going to invite the other seven candidates.

If Ron Paul can move up in the polls like he did on the MSNBC Debate, I wonder what kind of boost he will get from the FoxNews debate next week?

8. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

The audience for next week's debate is likely to approach 3 million people.

If Dr. Paul has another great showing, his poll numbers should shoot up.

I've thought, if only his message could be heard, and now it is. Maybe even the major pollsters will start paying attention to him after next Tuesday.

I wonder who his running mate will be.