1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GOP Disillusionment With Bush Increasing

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Dec 28, 2005.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Barr worked for the ACLU after leaving office. Enough said!

Hagel has delusions of grandeur!

I would swap Olympia Snow for Joe Leiberman!

Spector is at best a moderate. He probably still has a sore spot over the Judiciary Committee post. Perhaps we can trade him for Ben Nelson of Nebraska, though I would rather trade Chafee.

It is always interesting how people purport to know what Bush says in private. Is the liberal media illegally bugging his office or have flies learned to talk.

I am disappointed in Craig and Sabato. I thought better of both and think they have gone off the deep end on this.

3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting web-site. It certainly has a strong anti-Bush lean with articles such as "Unbelievable: Bush's Illegal Spying Could Free the Very Terror Suspects It's Jailed and Hopes to Convict" and an ad promoting the idea that the WTC was brought down by a "controlled demolition" and not what scientists have said. Seems a bit strange. However are republicans disappointed with Bush? Probably not the majority. The ultra conservatives (like myself) are disappointed in some aspects of Bush's administration. However Bush is better than the other (given) options (Gore, Kerry).

Martin.

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, I didn't like that link, either. Here's a different place to find the column:

Column LINK

5. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

The following quote shows the bias of the above link:

"And while Criag, Hagel, Snowe and Specter are willing to speak out publicly about the illegal actions of a President who is a member of their own party, other Republicans stick to grumbling in private – not surprising given the President’s reputation for waging wars of revenge against those who oppose him."

The President has done nothing illegal as noted in the initial Times article:

The New York Times, which first disclosed the existence of the NSA program last week, also cited unnamed sources who said the administration used two other opinions to justify its actions. One was embedded in a public Justice Department brief from 2002 and another was in a 2002 opinion issued by the Federal Intelligence Surveillance Court of Review that oversees the secretive court that usually deals with terror-related wiretap requests.

In 2002, that FISA review court upheld the president's warrantless search powers, referencing a 1980 Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals decision. That court held that "the president did have inherent authority to conduct warrantless searches to obtain foreign intelligence information. ... We take for granted that the president does have that authority and, assuming that is so, FISA could not encroach on the president’s constitutional power," wrote the court.

"The Foreign Intelligence Court of Review, which is the highest court that's looked at these questions, has said that the president has the inherent constitutional authority to use electronic surveillance to collect foreign intelligence and Congress cannot take away that constitutional authority. That's a pretty good argument," Bryan Cunningham, former National Security Council legal adviser, told FOX News.

More at:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,179323,00.html