1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GOP Offers Budget

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by LeBuick, Mar 27, 2009.

1. rbell

rbell Active Member

Then why do you harp on this issue constantly?

Sorry to break it to you, but no one believes you. You post this all the time. If you didn't care, you wouldn't keep harping on it.

Perhaps you should review basic history before posting things. The 90% tax bracket was to help us in paying for WW2. It finally caught up and began to bog down the economy. Of course, the bigger picture remains: Why do you feel such a huge need to punish success? You remember the "covet" commandment, don't you?

You want to do away with deficits? Spend less than you take in. It applies across the board. And before you launch into another diatribe...there are millions of us Americans who feel this way. We are ready to kick the sorry butts of the D's and R's who can't show fiscal discipline.

In one paragraph, you complain about a deficit...in another, you don't care...as long as you see rich folks' money in the equation. Would you please make up your mind?

I'm still amazed by your lack of understanding of basic economics. But oh well...you were probably innocently ignorant for a while...now, you're willfully so. Obama and Pelosi love folks like you. Their agenda goes through without a hitch, because you lack knowledge enough to question their plans.

OK, this is why you cannot be taken seriously: When someone posts a point that is critical of the left, you do the knee-jerk thing: "I need to see more information before I believe this story." Yet, Obama states something, and since the messiah cannot lie, you swallow the line completely without question.

Have you ever thought to check on exactly what that $250K entails? Is it indeed net income...or is it some other metric? I'm not going to do your work for you. But if you desire any bit of intellectual honesty, you will check this out before posting again.

But...since you really don't desire to be intellectually honest (you are just waiting to pound anyone that is conservative), we know the outcome of this exercise.

You do realize, don't you, that barely a majority of folks in this country pay income tax? So what do you want...a check from the government (that would be from people that work and pay taxes)? The government should take from people who earn their money, and give money to people who didn't earn it? Why the wealth envy? And why the outright dismissal of the obvious...that government should only take what is necessary, and no more?

Views like yours will bankrupt, and eventually wreck, the United States of America.

As usual, you miss the point. Wealth envy has clouded your judgement. Taxation isn't something based on, "Oh well, they won't miss it...so we'll take it." Views like yours allow government power to go unabated.

2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

How can it be less than 10 times median pay when above $250K is the top 5% of wage earners???

3. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

It might be your memory because when the WWII troops came home the suburban housing boom began. They were getting jobs with a pension and were buying single family homes in the suburbs back in those days.

Your memory again, LBJ sent the first combat troops to Vietnam and Eisenhower sent the first advisers. Kennedy continued what Eisenhower started.

Your memory again, Carter inherited his mess with inflation etc... from Ford. Until today, Ford presided over the worst economy since the Great Depression. Carter is the one who began bringing us out of that recession when his treasury secretary Paul Volcker raised interest rates to 21%. By the way, Reagan kept Carters treasury secretary until 1987 when he replaced him with Greenspan.

You must have been well to do if you enjoyed the Reagan years that much. He certainly did nothing for the poor.

4. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Because of my love for my fellowman...

I haven't asked to punish wealth. I have no ability to raise anyone's taxes. However, I have no sympathy for a rich man whose taxes are being raised from 35 to 39%. They only pay more because they have more to pay. Right now there are millions of people who have nothing... They should feel blessed.

Read my post more carefully, I talked about the rights concern with the deficit. The deficit, that thing that quadrupled under Reagan, ran a muck under Bush but is suddenly called "generational theft" when the Democrats raise the deficit like the Republican president before them did. It is the right that is so concerned with the deficit now that they no longer control the spending.

I agree we can reduce the deficit by spending less than we take in but now is not the time for that. We need Government to spend since they are the only ones with the money. We need the economy stimulated and the gov is the only one with the ability to do it.

Simple, taxable income. Your income after all your deductions have been subtracted. That is what determines what tax your pay.

Which is unfortunate that barely 50% of American's have the means to participate in the tax program. That is sad.

I am not on welfare but yes, I do want to see the government help those who are needy among us. Not necessarily the adults, but those children growing up without a solid roof over their heads, a decent meal and without fair chance to lift themselves above their current condition. If they don't get a good education, there is no way they will make a better living than their parents.

That's your opinion but it's been working so far.

No Sir, you missed the point. Government needs taxes to run. As you pointed out before, there are many among who have not the means to pay taxes. This means those with the means must carry the load. This is a sad truth that we all must come to grips with.

I personally am in favor of flat taxes for everyone above poverty. Not only would it be fair, the government would have more revenue once they eliminate all the deductions.

5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Something democrats never did while Bush was President.

Democrat's sole strategy was to criticize and obstruct everything Republicans tried to do.

As spineless as Republicans are, they make democrats look like spoiled children.

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Either you are completely ignorant or you just simply ignore the vastness of the deficit being run up.

7. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Something no minority party ever does and looking at what these guys put out there, they should have stuck with tradition. I might think different when they give us some numbers but what they released is not a working budget.

8. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Tell me this, what problem is the deficit causing our current economy?

9. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nice dodge............

10. targus

targus New Member

No, my point is that you should not be too surprised if shortly taxes are paid for all working taxpayers.

Remember how Clinton promised us a tax cut and then came out a few days later and said that he never worked harder in his life but he could not figure out a way to give us a tax cut?

I can easily imagine a not too distant time when Obama will tell us that as much as he would like not to raise our taxes we must be patriotic and pay for all of these "very essential programs" that the democrats are coming up with.

I am predicting a TAX INCREASE for all of us.

11. billwald

billwald New Member

>You are correct about the 90% tax, because many factories closed up for three to sometimes five months a year to keep profit down, so taxes wouldn't take the profit, it just wasn't worth it to keep 10% or less of each dollar of profit.

Anyone find a reference for this? I don't remember it happening.

12. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Ephasis on the "might"?

Not very likely.

13. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whatever they are, they're about 9 times greater than they were during the Bush Administration.

You cared about deficits then. Why not now?

14. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I didn't watch the deficit under Bush. Neither did the GOP which is why it got out of control...

15. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you didn't pay any attention, but now you're watching?

And it's now 9 times worse, but that's OK because why?

You're watching?

Makes a lot of sense.:rolleyes:

16. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I'm not the ones suddenly watching the deficit, the hypocritical right is. It quadrupled under Reagan, rose more under both Bush's and now it is generational theft if the Democrats do likewise... Now that's a hypocrite if I ever saw some.

17. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you're saying you've never watched it, don't care, and aren't paying any attention now, either?

Considering your professed ignorance of the subject, maybe you should consider not commenting at all.

18. rbell

rbell Active Member

The Reagan deficit was because we had an enemy that could defeat us...and they were dangerous. Come on, quit playing dumb.

And I doubt you're willing to admit it, but if you'd bother looking you'd find out that many (if not most) conservatives had a huge problem with Bush's spending. Many of us (including myself) spoke out against it.

But that would mess up your argument, so you'll ignore it. Nice job.

19. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LB sez:
    After making such a confession, you would do well to observe the old adage:
    "Tis better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

Now I'm not calling you a fool, but statements like this quote from you, should make you ponder your thought processes and fiscal knowledge a bit prior to "bloviating" (love that term from O'Reilly) on the subject!

And just in case you still don't see the point, gov't has no money that they don't get from you - that same money that you would spend for groceries, autos, recreation etc that you now no longer have since they legally robbed you of it.

20. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are mistaken.

Under Obama, the government is printing money like there's no tomorrow.

The rest he borrows from the Chinese.

They don't get any of that from me and you.

...but they will eventually ...

and it's going to be painful for all of us....and our great great great grandchildren.

So, maybe you're right after all.