1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GOP Presidential Race Still Jumbled

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Sep 16, 2007.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Thompson's natural strength is in the South, and he appears to have good support in South Carolina, the first of the Southern states to vote in January. His advisers see Florida as another potentially strong state for him.

Thompson aides said he hopes to be competitive in Iowa, but they are less sanguine about New Hampshire. Thompson did not help himself by skipping the Republican debate there in favor of an appearance on Jay Leno's television show.

The strategy for Thompson is to survive Iowa and New Hampshire and then do well in South Carolina and Florida. But Thompson aides say there are too many unknowns about the primary calendar to know for certain how the race will play out.

Beyond the calendar, though, Thompson's top strategists think that their candidate will appeal to voters who make their choice based simply on whom they like. They believe a strong personal appeal could be more important than finding the marginal differences between the GOP candidates on policy issues.

"Most of the polling has shown that the most important personality traits that Republican voters are looking for are honesty and authenticity," said Thompson spokesman Todd Harris.

In a Fox News/Opinion Dynamics poll completed Wednesday, Thompson ran second behind Giuliani and was seen as a real conservative by more GOP voters than any of the other candidates. But he ran behind Giuliani and McCain on experience and trailed far behind Giuliani on leadership."

- rest of story at www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/15/AR2007091501288.html?hpid=topnews

2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Seems like a lot of time, energy, and trouble to pick who is going to lose to the Democratic nominee.

3. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fred will win the nomination

Rudy will be inched out of the front-runner spot and Fred will be nominated. Remember, the GOP dislikes expensive, time-consuming primaries and so the GOP tends to nominate the front-runner.

Republicans always say that they are expected to lose--it's an exercise in humility I guess--but on election day it would take quite an upset to elect Hillary, who seems strident and bitter to me.

I like Fred. He's a good actor.

As for the Washington Post, they are just another Democrat newspaper.

Fred was on Jay Leno instead of at the GOP debate (of which there are many) and then went to Portsmouth, New Hampshire, where 200 people attended an outdoor reception for him in spite of a severe storm. This is reported by Rich Galen, political consultant on his blog.

Here is what Galen told one reporter:

“Look at all the people who waited through the storm to see him,” I said waiting until he actually turned around to look. “And they’re STILL here,” I said noting how many were swarming around Fred.

“You guys complain (I didn’t actually say “complain” but this is a family blog) about candidates who speak in sound bites and bumper strips. Then when a candidate comes and gives you 20 minutes of substance you tell me you’re looking for someone wearing a red nose and clown hair.”

“You can’t have it both ways.”

http://www.mullings.com/Mullblog.htm

4. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Just what this country needs...a good actor in the WH. He should make a right fine frontman for transnational corporate imperialism. Or is that mercantilism? :)

#4 poncho, Sep 16, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2007
  5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is true and Giuliani has been the GOP frontrunner for a long time. I think this is due to social issues losing their bite among Republicans. The war against al Qaeda trumps social issues, as well as limited government issues, among the Republican base.

6. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The GOP is a coalition.

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Both major political parties are coalitions. Remember Will Rogers' quote about the diversity of the Democratic Party in his day?

"I'm not a member of any organized political party, I'm a Democrat." - Will Rogers

However, both major political parties are less diverse than they were thirty years, and longer, ago. That is seen as fewer and fewer people consider themselves members of either major party and classify themselves as independents instead. Therefore, each major party is consisting more and more of only its base.

This is why Karl Rove decided that the proper strategy for 2004 was to turn out the GOP base instead of appealing to independent moderates.

#7 KenH, Sep 16, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2007
  8. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

At some point, doesn't the family values demographic start to run thin? We have:

1) Fred Thompson, W style conservative

2) Mitt Romney, newly discovered conservative

3) Alan Keyes, fringe conservative

4) Tom Tancredo, hardline conservative

5) Mike Huckabee, full fledged Southern Baptist conservative.

6) Sam Brownback, another conservative

7) Duncan Hunter, yet another conservative

8) John McCain, pro-life moderate conservative

9) Ron Paul, pro-life libertarian

With nine pro family types, I'd say Rudy stands a fairly decent chance for his ability to split the vote in so many different ways. He has a solid third of the GOP and if the remaining guys keep devouring the shrinking rest, and if Newt or someone else enters, things look good for Rudy.

9. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

until the general election

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey, cmg, I would like to see you as a Thompson supporter debate Eric Dondero who is a huge Giuliani supporter - http://libertarianrepublican.blogspot.com.

11. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rudy is GOP mainstream on foreign policy

Rudy is not all bad. However, I think Fred is more relaxed and more willing to endorse the Reagan platform than any other candidate in the race, Ken.

I would agree with you, Ken, if you are saying that Rudy is the one to beat.

But, Ken, it is still very early. We have municipal elections this fall in Indiana and we are thinking about them right now.

I just like Fred better.

http://www.mullings.com/Mullblog.htm

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Compared to Giuliani I like Thompson better, too.

13. Essene

Essene New Member

Where are the liberal Republicans? I could vote for somebody that is like a Nelson Rockefeller or Mark Hatfield. Until one comes riding up the trail, this Liberal Republican will probably vote for a Democrat.

14. betterthanideserve

betterthanideserve New Member

A good frontman for the Corporacrats Poncho,and now to make matters worse Alan Keyes has announced(a spoiler )I suppose just as in 1996,they are sure scared of Ron Paul.
    I live in TN and Fred was here saturday,he used the good ol catch phrase ,security and prosperity. Just another good old boy never meaning no harm...........................They want us to go to same place,just use a different road to get there.What will it take for the scales to fall off the eyes of the american voter?
    What will you, do?(those who don't see the forest for the trees)When they tell you the America that you thought you lived in hasn't existed for many years?