1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GOP Presumptive Presidential Nominee Senator John McCain: Confused

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Mar 19, 2008.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

I guess he doesn't know foreign policy any better than he does economics. :laugh:

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I have not watched this, nor do I have any intention of wasting my time doing so. I also would not waste my time watching a similar bit about Senator Obama, or Senator Clinton, either.

Confused?

Any major party Presidential Candidate, who, especially right now, in the cases of Senators Obama and Clinton are "running on fumes", after day in; day out 16-20 hr. days for up to a year. Senator McCain is getting off easy, right now! He is only doing 12-16 hr. days.

I really wonder how many of us might not sometimes appear confused, when facing any and all questions about any and all subjects on no notice, nor time to even think about them, and often when already exhausted? I can appear that way on "Zero notice" when fully rested, let alone when tired.

Frankly, I'm not surprised that any of them appear a bit 'flummoxed', frankly, at times.

Oh yeah! One more thing! BTW, all three are Senators, as well, and still have that little insignificant task to take care of, as well.

All three of these individuals (as well as most of the other candidates who are no longer in the races) have appeared a bit confused at least a couple of times over the last year. All have mostly attempted to give straight answers to every question asked, and whether or not I agree with any and/or all is really irrelevant. But give all of 'em a bit of a break, and a chance to actually think, even on their feet, for a second. It is fairly easy to have a pat answer to give that may or may not (and usually doesn't) have anything to do with a question. It is a bit harder to have one of substance to cover every eventuality on the tip of the tongue.

I heard it repeated that President George W. Bush just sat there for little bit, in the school class where he was after getting word of the plane crash into the twin towers on 9/11. The Congress was quickly ordered to evacuate, on hearing about the ongoing events, and most of them, as well, were still sitting around in stunned disbelief in the Capitol, for a bit.

I was called by a friend on 9/11 to tell me what had just happened. I immediately turned on the TV to see the tower burning. I watched the second plane hit the 2nd tower. The very first thing that wewnt through my mind was this cannnot be happening, as I sat there in stunned disbelief. I'm having a nightmare. Nope, I'm awake. How could this be?? (And unlike the Prsdient and Congress, I'm watching it, no less.)

The President and Congress just sat there briefly???

Uh- I wonder why? :rolleyes:

Ed

#3 EdSutton, Mar 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2008
  4. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Good post Ed.

I watched the video and he messed up one word. Give me a break.

If messing up one word makes a man confused then everyone here on this board is confused 99% of the time.

5. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

If you haven't watched it you are surely in no position to comment on it.

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

On the contrary...he can...and he did a fine job of doing so.

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If a couple more such moments of confusion take place then Senator McCain's age will become front and center in the presidential race and his race for the White House may well be finished before the GOP national convention takes place.

8. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

How can a person comment on what they have not seen or heard? Wouldn't that be commenting on heresy?

9. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Completely absurd comment. He mixed up one word. You and I do the very same thing probably every day of our lives. This has nothing to do with his age.

10. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Shame On Ken

Age is not the issue. And shame on you for trying to make a person's age a political issue. My grandmother, who went to be with the LORD in '00 at the age of 83, was a sharp as a tac right up to the end. So, contrary to your post, age does not make a person stupid. The fact is that John McCain is a busy man who mis-spoke. You have no grounds to make anything of this. Well, unless politics has pushed you to the point where reality no longer matters. Otherwise there is nothing here other than a human being who is not perfect.

I am certainly glad cameras are not following me around all day or recording every lecture I give. I mis-speak myself at times. I am only 33. If I can do it, McCain can do it.

I find it to be a sad commentary on American politics in '08 that we are "making political hay" out of a mistake and comments made by a pastor/friend of another candidate. Are we forgetting that our soldiers are on more than two battlefields as I type? Are we forgetting that our government is overspending itself into bankruptcy? Are we forgetting about terrorism? There are serious issues out there and the media, and Ken's post, are nothing more than distractions.

11. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Actually, I did not comment at all on the content of the video, nor did I claim to have a clue as to what it said or supposedly said, never mind that I would definitely suspect that this is but a very short 'blurb' and out of context from a very longer appearance. But I can and did certainly comment, in essence, on the mindset that seeks out such tripe, and then pounces. And then the 'pouncer' or his or her lackey, goes off on one of any of a number of tangents, afterward.

I would actually like to see both the "blurb" and the entire appearance, if only to compare the two. But I will neither dignify the 'editing' of what is, with little doubt, a short video by watching it, nor demean myself by watching it after saying I would not waste the time in so doing.

Were there anything of any real substance present, I have little doubt that some facet of the news media from one 'side' of the political spectrum to the other, would have already had this pasted all over TV or on page one. I haven't happened to see any of this.

Maybe I am being a bit naive and am just old-fashioned enough to not put a lot of stock in 'tabloid journalism' and 'shock-type, cut-and-paste' videos, here. I'll just have to take my chances, on this, I guess.

While any or all of, in alphabetical order, Senators Hillary Clinton and/or Barack Obama and/or John McCain (or anyone else, for that matter) may be saying could be heresy (in which case, I can assure you, I would not hesitate to comment) at some point or another, the word you are hunting for is "hearsay".

Get it right, I might suggest. 'Gives you more credibility.

Ed

12. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

He would not have been my first choice, but John McCain will do OK as President. What confuses me is with millions of Americans registered as Democrats, and surely some with immense talent and leadership, that we end up with two nut cases competing for the nomination.

13. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Depends on your definition of "nut case." Not everyone has the same definition.:laugh:

14. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I wonder how 'Slick Willie' or 'W' would define it? Maybe we could ask 'Jimmuh' or lip read 'George'.

Better yet, how about we get the four together and have a 'debate' among them!

We could have "Greenhouse Gas" Al to ask the questions, and "Potatoe" Danne to Moderate, along with 'Fritz' as the clerk, and have a definitely unarmed 'Dead-eye Dick', as the Sgt.-at-arms. How's that for a thought?? :thumbs:

Then we could all be confused!!

Hmmm!

On second thought, Naaawww!! Please!! NO WAY!!!

That would set the art of debate back, at least two hundred years! :tonofbricks::laugh:

Ed

#14 EdSutton, Mar 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2008
  15. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think this issue should be allowed to drop off the board. As Christians we should be aware of how certain divisive groups are attempting to use race, gender, and age as weapons in this campaign. Such behavior should not be tolerated. Period.

For that reason..BUMP