1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GOP spends $150,000 for Palin's wardrobe

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by JamieinNH, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Perhaps part of the problem is that people are worried about what someone else does with their own money. If the RNC wants to spend their money on this, let them do it. It was money that was given to them for the election, and they get to spend it on election issues. Perhaps less time worried about silliness like this and more time worried about substance would help the whole issue.

2. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

True, but when Palin is trying to be a "down to earth" hockey mom and as someone that fights over the top expenses, then I am think it's interesting to see how much she spent for warerobe.

I do understand both sides do it, I think it's wrong on both sides, but when Palin is putting out am image of conservative, it just doesn't work in my opinion...

3. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

I also remember how much flack he got over it too... and yet now the crowds are silent because she's on the Republican ticket... :rolleyes:

Also, John Edwards isn't the topic of this thread.

#23 JamieinNH, Oct 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2008
  4. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Well you know, shopping at Wal-Mart saves so she can spend on herself dress and makeup... :rolleyes:

I didn't buy into the whole Wal-Mart story either... it was set up I am sure for the photos and story....

5. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Of course they are saying the clothes will be donated.... now... that the cat is out of the bag...

It's called Save Face!

My point in this story is Palin claims to be just another "hockey mom", someone that has saved her state tons of money by cutting over the top expenses, and yet here she is living against what she says...

Also, Michelle Obama isn't the topic of this thread. :)

6. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Then maybe with her stance the way it is, she should have done just that... instead of spending 4 times what I make in a year to dress herself....

7. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Maybe someone people, but not me. I don't give one thought to hilton or the hollywood people...

I am not a Democrat, but this story does concern me.. They are running on a message that they will change Washington by saving us money. They are suppose to be conservatives and yet they spent more the $150,000 on warerobe in ONE month.

That is more than 3 times what I make in a year...
    That is almost half of what the President salary is (just his salary)
    That is probably close to 7-8 times what the average "joe" makes in a year...

Just the other day there was a story about how she went to Wal-Mart... how even she saves money... please.. that was a setup and I know it now. She didn't save her state any money, she isn't saving money now, and she won't save money if she gets to Washington.. She is just more of the same which is sad, she could have been different and been real change in Washington..

I suppose I am more sad than mad.. what she could have been and what she really is...

8. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Yeah, that all sounds nice.... Would you say the same thing to the couple your church gave money to to feed their family when you saw them in nice clothes instead? Or how about they did buy food but nice choice Ribeyes for one nice meal vers enough for the whole week?

What you said sounds nice, but doesn't really make sense in the real world and it also don't make sense when the party is running on the idea that it will save the USA money and will help make it a "shinning star" again and yet yet do nothing to show they can manage money.

Palin in a let down for me.. she could have and should have been different. To me, that the bigger story vers how much she spends.. it's the fact that in 2012 or whenever she gets back in the spotlight, she will be more of the same instead of the "difference" she has been claiming...

9. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Our church doesn't give money to people. But that is not even a good comparison. People voluntarily gave their money to the RNC presumably to help win an election. The money belongs to the RNC to do with as they wish. I don't tell people what to spend their money on, and you shouldn't either.
    I think it makes perfect sense. Go try to tell your neighbor how to spend their money and see if they think that makes sense. I bet they agree with me, even if they spend it unwisely.
    I am fairly sure that 150,000 won't do anything to save money in the nation's economy. That is statistically non-existent in the federal budget. Overall, the Republicans are spending less money than the Democrats are. So this is a non-story and a silly attempt at personal politics. This is not a matter of national political interest. This is worse than stories of Obama's birthplace.

10. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Sure it is... if your church did give money, as some do and the family you were helping feed went out and bought a nice Ribeye dinner instead of food for the week, you would say something. If you really wouldn't then you a bigger man than most. Helping someone out and seeing them spend it unwisely calls for someone to say something.

We do it all the time... We elect our Congress and yet complain about how they spend our money.. Didn't we elect them to spend it the way they see it best for the country? If so, why so many thread about how our tax dollars are spent?

You see, it does make sense when you are openminded enough to see it.

So, do you feel the same way about everyone or just Republicans? I must have missed your comment in LE thread about what Michelle Obama ate one night... If you missed the thread, I can post a link for you.....

I don't think I have told them what they should spend money on.. I just posted a link that shows she isn't a "Wal-Mart" hockey mom she is claiming to be...

As far as I am aware, my neighbor isn't running for office saying that he is a down to earth, run of the mill, guy.. He isn't running on a notion that he is different than Washington and votnig for him will be a vote for a "changed" Washington... Palin is howevere and she isn't living up to what she says....

No, again neither is Michelle Obama's dinner, but you didn't post in that thread did you?

This, to me isn't a non-Story... and it's not personal. She is running in to Wal-Mart to shop... she is running on the fact that she is different than the rest... but she isn't and this story in part shows that...

11. targus

targus New Member

I think that you have drawn the wrong conclusion.

Perhaps Sarah Palin showed up and the RNC looked at the clothing which she bought herself and normally wears - you know Wal-Mart style - and said to themselves "well, we have to do something here to spiff her up a little before putting her out there."

You see, she is the "Wal-Mart hockey mom".

12. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

As a pastor, if I were to do that (which would be very unwise), I would certainly be involved in financial management. But ultimately when you give someone money, it is theirs. No one gave the RNC to buy groceries for their barren cabinets. You made a bad comparison.
    Again, a bad comparison. The government is spending our money. The RNC is spending their own. The RNC is not accountable to us; the government is.
    Everyone.
    You didn't miss my comment because I didn't make one. I don't know what the story was and don't care what Michelle Obama eats or wears or anything else.
    So you are not saying that they shouldn't have spent 150K on clothes? If not, then I am confused. Just what is your point?
    I don't think that is true at all. I have several $1000 dollar suits which I wear. But I didn't buy them, and they say nothing about my spending habits or the places I shop at.
    So what you are saying is that you are not a man of principle. You hold different people to different standards on teh same issue. I disagree with that approach.
    Nope, didn't even read it because I don't care.
    It should be because it is. A statement like this simply says that you don't evaluate issues very well for substance.
    No it doesn't. Again, please think about it. What this story shows is that someone bought her clothes. It says nothing about where she shops with her own money. Can't you see that?

13. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

I could have the wrong conclusion, but so could you in stating that she is the Wal-mart hockey mom... neither of us will really know... It's all politics that this point sadly to say....

If she had been the fighter against status quo, and been the hockey mom she claims to be, then it wouldn't have matter what the RNC told she, she would have stood her ground.. Listen to the TV ad that is running for her now, she's a fighter.... not a person to give in...

I stand by my observations... Also, note, this is the first time I have dinged Palin and it's only because it just don't add up to me...

14. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I personally think it's idiotic to spend that kind of money on clothes; don't care how good they look.

If I were a millionaire, I seriously doubt that I'd ever spend even half that much on a car. I probably would get something a little nicer than my '97 S-10, but nowhere near a $75,000 vehicle.

Point is there are some things I WOULD spend a $150,000 on, but you probably wouldn't; and as long as I'm spending MY money, and you're spending YOUR money, what difference does it make????

And if I should give you $150,000 with no strings attached, IE no preconditions or limitations, then why should I try to tell you, even then, how to spend it??

Now if I put conditions on the gift, you have the option of following the requirements, OR refusing the gift.

So, why does it make any difference if the RNC spends $150,000 or $5,000 on Palin's clothes. If you have given to the RNC, and did not put any conditions on the gift, they are free to spend it anyway they see fit as long as it is generally in line with the implied/understood purpose of the gift - which is to campaign for the R party.

As for Michelle, I would never spend that kind of money for an afternoon snack- or even dinner, but that's just me. It's her money, and AFAIC she can spend it anyway her little heart desires.

Now when her husband is wanting to spend MY money, we're talking a whole 'nother ball game!!!! But that's another topic

15. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    She's a woman. Hillary?

This is a manufactured non- story.

16. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The New York slimes has been a bastion of liberalism for a long time.

They quit pretending to to be unbiased, come election time, about 20 years ago.

17. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

You need to see hair and make-up bills to determine that? All most people needed to do was look. :D

18. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Probably used her own money since she pretty financed her own campaign. She gave herself more loans than she received donations.

19. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by carpro
    Non story.

Remember John Edwards hairstyling tabs?

Campaign spending on personal items is.

Edwards, Kerry, and the Clintons are fair game. They have set the standard on extravagant spending for personal items

The difference is that conservatives laugh at the vanity of candidates, like Clinton and Edwards, while liberals foam at the mouth ...

if the spender is a Republican.

20. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're guessing.

Proof?