1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GOP to leap on spending abuses in stimulus

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by JamieinNH, Feb 19, 2009.

1. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

WASHINGTON - Republicans are preparing to pounce on any wasteful spending in the $787 billion stimulus package as they refocus their criticisms of a measure whose success could hurt their 2010 election prospects.

President Barack Obama and congressional Democrats also promise rigorous oversight, including a new Web site to help people track various projects funded by the massive bill. But the two parties will reap different political rewards if they find waste or abuse, which is virtually inevitable when the government tries to spend so much money so fast, authorities say.

Story Link

I have to ask, why do they grand stand and want to start having accountability now? Why did they wait all these years to start?

I mean, there is 9 billion with a B dollars unaccounted for in Iraq. And yet these very Republicans didn't say a word, or at least if they did they didn't make this big of a deal out of it?

I am not saying they, and Democrats and We the People shouldn't keep an eye out. I just wonder what took them so long to figure out that it was needed?

I have to ask myself do they really want to watch out for bad spending, or is it all just 'for' politics? I would guess the latter...

Sad.....

2. targus

targus New Member

Better late than never.

And why would the motivation make you sad?

You should be happy that it hopefully will happen.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good questions

4. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Yeah, if we were talking about something 'normal' I would agree...

Them looking after the spending doesn't make me sad, the political system we are stuck with makes me sad. I really, honestly wish we could all set aside our petty brickering and toss these fools out on their behines.. Let's elect, good, honest decent people again and start over in BOTH parties.

My main point was why wait until now to do this, it's grandstanding at it's best. If they really cared then they would have been screaming for the last few years. (my opinion is they wouldn't have lost so badly either if they had done what was right)

Also, because it's grandstanding I believe they won't 'oversee' it like they are claiming, they are not looking out for the best interest of us, the people they are only looking for the Gotcha's for the next election...

That is really sad... We need to do better, we CAN do better...

5. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Hypocrites... It's ok if they do it but no one else should do what they do...

Clearly politics which is why they are trying so hard to poke holes in the bill. If the bill was as bad as they make it out to be, they would easily be able to present the waste. So far everything I've seen them call waste, they had to twist the facts to make the claim. Condoms was really HIV prevention. The mouse was rally a small part of a large project that would also help the mice.

6. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wasteful spending? The bill is wasteful spending. They should be knocking the entire bill itself.

7. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    $787 Billion verses 9 Billion? Maybe $778 billion is a little bit more than 9 billion. Maybe 9 billion won't mortgage our children's future quite as fast as $787 billion.
    The democrats already had oversight...and led us to this crisis.

The democrats oversaw a hearing in 2005 where auditors revealed abuses at Freddie and Fanny. The did nothing.

The democrats on that committee pontificated about how the concerns where much ado about nothing (while receiving compaign contrabutions from those same intities).

The democrats on that committee "grandstanded", saying the institutions where financially sounc and doing a good job.

Please, please, please, don't hold it against me if I don't have confidence that these same democrats are going to have adaquate oversight over a Trillion dollars in pork-barrel spending.

And yes, I wish the Republicans had the guts to engage in the same kind of knock down, drag out, take no prisoners, politics that the democrats have always engaged in, even during a time of war.

peace to you:praying:

8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Facts conveniently ignored and or forgotten.

9. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Willful ignorance on your part will not change the truth of what happened. I believe this hearing was discussed on this board.

10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

And just what willful ignorance on my part are you talking about?

11. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

This is a fairly biased view of what happened in 2005 but it made a really good GOP talking point in the last election. What the add didn't say was McCain didn't sign on to the bill until a month or so before it went to committee.

Where I agree the Democrats spoke out against the legislation in 2005 the Republican's controlled both the house and the Senate and could have passed the bill without the Democrats. The facts are the Republican's never brought the bill to the floor for a vote yet they want to put all the blame on the Democrats. It would have been like blaming the GOP if this stimulus didn't pass.

The bill was also too little too late because the housing bubble busted about two months after the legislation was introduced. By the way, the was other legislation presented in 2000, 2003 and 2004 that called for an independent agency to regulate the two entities but none of them ever come to the floor for a vote. Keep in mind the Republican's were the majority in congress so controlled the agenda.

I really think the blame needs to properly distributed to everyone from home buyers to Wall Street and from mortgage brokers to Alan Greenspan. There is no single party or single bill or single act that made this happen. There was deregulation of the banking industry in 1999 which was introduced by a Republican house but signed into law by Bill Clinton. There are so many contributers to this crises that blaming the Democrats and one bill is extremely short sighted and biased.

But I do agree government oversight is normally an oxymoron but I think we should see what this website does for transparency before we condemn the new effort...

12. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

So it's ok to misplace 9 billion dollars? What if your church annouced that it had misplaced a good chunk of change, since I don't know the size of your church, let's say thay told you they 'misplaced' 10% of the offering...

Would you have this same attuitude? I highly doubt it!

If we want better monitoring and spending then my point is it should have started years and years ago... Instead, it's all grand standing and they don't really care about anything but themselves.

Ok, and? You're proving my point that I have been saying for years, ALL of Washington is corrupt and we need to replace them ALL..

You do understand the word ALL don't you? I am for keeping NO ONE in office now.

Yeah, I wish SOMEONE had the guts to do something, only I wish it were US, the WE the people part of this country..... :rolleyes: since the politcans won't help us.

13. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Ignored by who? I am sure you're not talking about me since I have lead a stead march to replace Washington in it's entirety.

14. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

What happened to the $150B given to AIG in Buish's bailout?

15. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Big difference between $787 billion with a B and $9 billion with a B. Just in case you did not know.

16. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Yeah, just like I asked Candy... If your church lost some money you wouldn't care huh?

I know the different between one dollar amount the other, but it's still alot of money AND they are only grand standing.

What about all the other millions and billions that have been spent to save us? Why did it just now occur to them to start watching where it all went?

I suppose, in the end since you don't really have an answer the above quote from you was the best you could muster...

17. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

The Republicans never had a filibuster proof majority in the Senate. In fact I believe the Jeffords switch gave the democrats the Senate in 2001, 2002. Also, recall it was only the so called gang of 14 that enabled Bush to get many of his appointments for Judges/Justices approved.

18. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    You accused me of willfully ignoring facts concerning the hearing in which democrats repeatedly stated that fannie and freddie where financially sound and doing a good job.

What facts did I willfully ignore?

19. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

You don't need a filibuster proof senate to bring a bill for a vote. The legislation in question was never presented on the floor. It never made it past committee which when you're the majority should be easy to do. You set the agenda.

20. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one said it was OK.

Jamie, suppose your best friend short-changed you $9 dollars for a bar-b-que you two were planning together. Would you make a big deal about it? Would you even confront him on the matter? What if he denied it? Would you pursue it? Would you sue him? For the sake of your friendship, would you drop it? Would you say, "I need new friends"?

What if that same friend used your credit card to charge $789 dollars? Would you pursue it with the same intensity as the $9 dollars? Can you see the difference?
    It is true the monitoring should have started years ago. It is true the republicans failed to shrink the size of government when they were in charge. It is true the republicans failed to control spending while they were in charge.

Whether they are grandstanding or are truely comitted to conservative principles, I don't know.

But I am glad someone is finally saying enough is enough! We must stop the spending spree for the sake of the country and our children's and grandchildren's future.