1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gorbachev a Christian...

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by Matt Black, Mar 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Story here. Thanks be to God! I kind of knew/suspected this ever since my uncle met him on his visit to Rome in 1989 and both he and Raisa (IIRC) made the sign of the cross, Gorby joking that neither of them were 'very good heathens' or something.

2. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very interesting. I'd like to know more about his journey. Perhaps more will be published.:godisgood:

3. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Did the late President Reagan state that he suspected that he was a 'closet believer' (according to the article to which I linked)?

4. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I suspected this when in the 80s, Gorby made reference to God in a speech. Nikita Kruschev or Leonid Brezhnev would never have done so.

5. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

He is a Roman Catholic. But a Christian? Not in the New Testament sense it would seem.

6. Magnetic Poles

Actually, I think it said he was Russian Orthodox.

7. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

About as New Testament as one can get.

8. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am glad that he finally has the courage to state what he believes in! :)

9. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

Either way, he is hardly a Christian in the New Testament sense.

10. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

Only if you subscribe to easy believism.

11. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Russian Orthodox

Being born and growing up in Russia it is not surprising that he is Russian Orthodox. In fact, it would be surprising if he were not. I would not be too quick to judge him or anyone living in that society.

In 1995 I was in China and met a young Chinese woman who was Christian. She said she could not tell anyone as it would cause great trouble within her family and she would loose her job if it were known.

I told her that was fine, that she probably was right where Christ wanted her and though she could not openly tell her co-workers she was Christian, that she was in a perfect position to influence them for good. If she told them and lost her job then she would have no way to influence them. And that if she waited patiently in the Lord the time and place would come that she could witness.

#11 Crabtownboy, Mar 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2008
  12. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Don't tell Ulsterman or he will no doubt declare her unsaved as well!

It's a good think we don't get to decide who does and who doesn't belong to Christ.

13. Magnetic Poles

Nice that you are the one to decide that. :rolleyes:

14. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

Fortunately, the Bible answers for us.

15. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

Well if you believe the New Testament teaches that we should force feed infants communion wine, fair enough, but that's what the Russian Orthodox do. If you think the spirits of the dead haunt their relatives unless they tend to their graves is a New Testament teaching, well, I'm not sure which version you are reading. I thought the whole point of the New Testament was teach us what Christianity is and how to practice it, but apparently I am not allowed to compare religious practice by it and determine whether something is Christian or not. If you think our faith is to be hallmarked by icons and images, so be it, but I happen to disagree.

So Gorbachev has a faith, and that, I suppose, in social terms is better than atheism, but in spiritual terms it matters not one bit unless his faith, your faith or mine is placed in the truth of the Gospel. I accept his faith may be genuine, but sincerity is no substitute for truth. There is nothing in the article that intimates his faith is Bible based or evangelical in any way. On that basis and, in that context, I question why the term Christian is so readily accepted by you and others.

16. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

Well it seem you have decided who does. By what standard do you draw this judgment? By the fact that someone belongs to or goes to a church? Gorbachev is quoted in the article as saying, ""St Francis is, for me, the alter Christus, the other Christ." The article infers that his heart lies there. (2Cor 11:2-3)

#16 Ulsterman, Mar 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2008
  17. guitarpreacher

guitarpreacher New Member

So you prefer difficult believism?

18. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

I don't know what is in Gorbachev's heart or why he views things the way he does. He says he is a Christian and I leave it at that.

19. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While what you say (bolded part) is true, the very fact that you (collective "YOU", not just you, df) don't know, should tend to make you skeptical without evidence; as noted by Christ in the following verses.

Mat 7:20-21 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them. Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
    :godisgood:

20. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

If it's evidence of faith alone in Christ alone by the drawing grace of God alone, then there's really nothing that we can do or say to undo this genuine conversion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.