1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gospel of John

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by rsr, Sep 3, 2003.

1. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Although The Passion has grabbed the headlines, there's another movie coming about the life of Christ. The Gospel of John is set for release this fall. It's a word-for-word adaptation of the Gospel of John, based on the Good News Bible.

GOSPEL OF JOHN NEWS SITE

2. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

RSR, thank you for that link. Next week I start a module at uni on John's Gospel, so will be interested to see the film when it eventually gets to us.

Blessings

Sheila

3. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (BP)--"The Gospel of John," the first major theatrical film of an entire book of the Bible adapted on a word-for-word basis, is debuting in theaters this fall.

The three-hour epic on the story of Jesus' life as recounted by His disciple John was produced by a publicly traded faith-based media company called Visual Bible International, Inc. The film premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival Sept. 11 and is scheduled to open in Charlotte, N.C., Dallas, Colorado Springs, Colo., and Fayetteville, Ark., Sept. 26 before hitting a larger audience nationwide beginning Oct. 10.

James Merritt, former president of the Southern Baptist Convention and pastor of Cross Pointe, the Church at Gwinnett Center in the Atlanta area, attended a preview of the movie.

"From a scholarly standpoint, I found the movie to be extremely true to the biblical text -- even showing baptism by immersion, which is surely the way baptism was practiced by John the Baptist and the early church," he said in a statement to Baptist Press.

"Furthermore, the entire dialogue of the movie comes from the Good News [for Modern Man, or Today's English Version] translation of the Gospel, which only added to both the veracity (to me) and the effectiveness of the movie. The movie will prove to be a bit lengthy to the average moviegoer, and there are a few places where the movie slows somewhat perhaps because so much of John's gospel contains dialogue which discusses deep theological truth.

"Yet overall I found the acting of high quality, the cinematography outstanding, and I believe the movie deserves the strong support of the church and is a must-see for Christians everywhere," Merritt continued. "This is one movie that Christians could invite their lost neighbors to without fear of embarrassment over either quality or interesting subject -- in fact the most interesting subject in history!"

The Gospel of John is narrated by Christopher Plummer, a Tony and Emmy Award-winning actor with roles in more than 80 motion pictures including "The Sound of Music." Henry Ian Cusick, a classically trained stage actor with the Royal Shakespeare Co., plays the role of Jesus. The film also includes about 75 principal actors and nearly 2,500 extras.

http://www.bpnews.net/bpnews.asp?ID=16736

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think that a lot of "Boomers" like my generation are beginging to FACE MORTALITY (we will NOT live forever in spite of what the rock lyrics told us) and are turning back toward long-forgotten spiritual roots.

This movie should get a good play. Boomers and anytime we have soldiers dying daily, the verities of spiritual truth have an intrinsic draw.

5. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

I wonder how long it will be before we can see it over here in the U.K.

I am not too keen on films, but I would like to see this one.

Sheila

6. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

Dr. Bob said:
    I find that to be an interesting and perplexing phenomena - as many of the writers and performers of such "music" died young - due to overdoses of booze and/or drugs, and an obsessive life style!

Dan

7. Brian K.

Brian K. New Member

We went and saw the movie the other weekend, and really loved it. It's a beautiful film. The audience cheered when the credits rolled!

It's only being released in some cities, and then in wider release through DVD and VHS. Apparently, the tape/disc has a bunch of really great extra footage and features. Here's the site:

http://www.gospelofjohnthefilm.com/behind/screenplay.aspx

[​IMG]

8. jsg718

jsg718 New Member

Also saw this movie and LOVED IT.

For anyone not in one of the areas they're showing it, but want to see it, you can buy the dvd/tape from their web site. It's a good price and this is a movie you will want to see again and again.

http://www.gospelofjohnthefilm.com/Store/FeaturedItems.aspx

9. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Saw it and would recommend it to anyone. Glad to see that baptism was done by submersion and Jesus was nailed through the wrists and ankles, which, was the most like way the Romans did that.

10. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whenever a movie comes out that they figure will have a "Christian" moviegoer appeal, it is never released in the cities. Don't they think any of us live in cities? :confused: They always put them out in the "Bible Belt", which I don't necessarily think is any more of a Christian stronghold than anywhere else these days.

11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I still would feel uncomfortable attending the movie theater, so will have to wait for release on DVD or Video.

Envy those who could see it on the big screen.