1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gospel of Judas???

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by DeclareHim, Apr 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

I know that they just found the Gospel of Judas but this seems to not be that big of deal. What do you guys think? IMO it's probably just another gnostic gospel.

2. macitruth

macitruth New Member

I have not read or heard much about it beyond a commercial or a headline here and there. Tell us what you know.

3. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

Well I know it's written in Coptic not Greek. The copy found was written in the late 3rd early 4th Century. But it was known in 180 A.D. when Irenaeus attacked it in his 'Against Heresies' as being "fictitious histories".

4. macitruth

macitruth New Member

here are a couple of questions I have about this "gospel", do you have any ideas
    1. do we know whether or not it was really written by Judas?
    2.What are the claims included in it that specifically contradict scripture?
    3.How is it being received, is it influential?
    4.What are the best ways we can respond to the objections it presents to our faith?

5. DesiderioDomini

DesiderioDomini New Member

5. How can we get an english translation of it...

6. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

#1. I'm not sure.
    #2. It claims Christ asked Judas to betray Him and makes Judas out to be a loyal follower of Christ.
    #3. I don't think it's been discovered to long. I'de say it's mixed so far. Christians obviously are skeptical and secularist are claiming it's the one of the greatest finds in recent years.
    #4. I guess by standing on the Word of God.
    #5. I think it was just found so I'm not sure if their is going to be a English translation. My guess would be probably yes in around 5 years from now. Just basing this on the fact the Gospel of Mary (Magdelene) and others have been translated and published in English.

7. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it is too early to answer 2-4 until someone comes out with a translation.

As for 1, it is to laugh! :D :D How could a dead Judas (which we know from the NT Gospels, always true) write anything? :eek: Unless someone can somehow prove that Judas, unlike the typical Baptist in the pew, took notes the whole time he was with Jesus, then wrote it all up before Christ died, and did not include the death of Christ in his gospel (because he died before Christ), then there is no way Judas wrote this.

8. Keith M

Keith M New Member

When I googled "Gospel of Judas" this link returned:

Gospel of Judas chaps 1-4

There is a link at the bottom of the page for chapters 5-10.

One thing we must keep in mind is that Jesus Christ would never tempt anyone to sin.

9. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    </font>[/QUOTE]Keith, I can't get your link to work. :confused:

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  11. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anything can happen in the modern world of higher textual criticism. Then there is the Book of Mormon. God does not author confusion.

Selah,

Bro. James

12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, Bro. James, not to be critical ;) , but the so-called "Gospel of Judas" has nothing to do with textual criticism. And textual criticism is called "lower criticism," not "higher criticism." Higher criticism involves attacking the content of the text (for example, "Did Luke actually write the book of Luke?"), and lower criticism, or textual criticism, involves investigating the form of the text itself (for example, "Was the word "the" before 'Jesus' in that verse in the original manuscripts?). [​IMG]

13. richard n koustas

richard n koustas New Member

try this: http://www.graveworm.com/occult/texts/judas1.html
    http://www.graveworm.com/occult/texts/judas1.html

</font>[/QUOTE]Keith, I can't get your link to work. :confused: </font>[/QUOTE]

14. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the help, Richard.

I'm not sure what this is, but it sure doesn't look like the "Gospel of Judas" in the news now. And it is not the usual suspect for the "Gospel of Thomas," which you can find at: http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/thomas.html

Thomas is sometimes called "Thomas Judas Didymus," as can be seen in the link I just gave, but this is a late name for him, and not used in the early church fathers (the Apostolic Fathers)--maybe even a Gnostic name for him. [​IMG]

15. DesiderioDomini

DesiderioDomini New Member

Once again, some rarely let facts slow them down.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think it is too early to answer 2-4 until someone comes out with a translation.

As for 1, it is to laugh! :D :D How could a dead Judas (which we know from the NT Gospels, always true) write anything? :eek: Unless someone can somehow prove that Judas, unlike the typical Baptist in the pew, took notes the whole time he was with Jesus, then wrote it all up before Christ died, and did not include the death of Christ in his gospel (because he died before Christ), then there is no way Judas wrote this.
    </font>[/QUOTE]This is the first thing I thought...how could Judas who betrayed Jesus and immediately went out and hanged himself after returning the silver even know what was going to happen to Jesus? Ths "gospel" of Judas is no different than the "gospel" of Phillip, etc. Books written hundreds of years after the death of Christ with an apostle's name thrown in for good measure, and to "authenticate" it as "gospel". This is the same false information that resulted in the Q'ran...writings hundreds of years after the death of Mohammed on what Mohammed said.

17. Salamander

Salamander New Member

1. How can anyone who knows anything about the Bible even think there is such a thing that is authentic?

2. How dare anyonwe associate the Gospel with the author of anything as the Gospel by the son of perdition?

3. Hasn't anyone else in this world noticed the applause to the heretic writings being introduced by this ecumeniacl world?

4. The ecumenicalists are having their parody on the televison in a couple of days all about it.

5. Anything from the perspective of one totally consumed with the love of money isn't worth reading.

6. Don't you believe the Bible?

18. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

It's a shame to see it all. The humanist liberals lap this stuff up. Never mind it's obviously not an authoritative document. Never mind that Irenaeus stated that 1800 years ago. It is something that challenges Christianity and therefore it is to be extolled as a major find. The liberals have decided that they donot believe the Bible - and they're quick to jump on any bogus document to say "I told you so."

:confused:

19. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

The History/NationalGeo channels have both been running programs lately questioning scripture, complete with "professors" of "theology".

It appears to be some sort of cooperative effort to discredit scripture, expecially among the "simple minded" secular.

20. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

From Seattle Times:
    It's obvious some nutcase wrote this document. Also the article did mention that the Gnostics highly valued this mss.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.