1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gout

Discussion in 'Health and Wellness' started by SaggyWoman, Mar 28, 2010.

1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Do any of you have gout? When did you first get diagnosed with it, and how did you know of it's onset?

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

My grandmother had it, I think if you get it you'll know when. It was very painful, she could ahrdly walk, we actually got her a walker to help her out as she lived a lone, and even then she walked as little as possible.

3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gout runs in my family.

I had a bout of it about 10 years ago when I forgot my blood pressure meds while vacationing in Florida.

I thought I broke my toe.

I've been careful to keep my blood pressure under control and have never had it since.

Rob

4. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

My DIL was just diagnosed with it yesterday. I don't know much about it yet, except that it's very painful.

5. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would get it on and off, over a course of a few years, until about 4 years ago. My big toe at the on the right foot would swell twice it's size, the joint at the base would ache and used to drive me crazy!

It is a weird disease. I believe most often caused, or in my case anyway, the cause was probably hyperuricemia (high levels of uric acid in the blood) one of the main causes of this is high fructose intake due to soft drinks, and I think that was my onset problem.

Hyperuricemia has to do with malfunctioning kidneys but I don't remember how this all works together. Hereditary kidney diseases are usually associated; in my case there is a lot of kidney stones in the family, also some kidney failure.

Another sign of hyperuricemia is scaling on the knees and elbows which eventually might get into the joints, also itching. I have a little of that going on now and so am concerned and am looking into lifestyle changes to improve kidney health.

This summer I'm going to look into getting my uric acid levels checked. My fructose levels should be much lower since I've basically quit soft drinks.

Gout is a scary thing because it could be a serious warning sign of other underlying issues as far as I'm concerned.

#5 Benjamin, Mar 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2010