1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Government Surveillance Cameras on Every Street Corner?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Jun 29, 2007.

?
  1. Yes, whatever it takes.

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  2. No, this is the land of the free.

22 vote(s)
    88.0%
  1. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

Are you saying that Tony Snow is up to telling a fib from time to time? Can you prove it? We need more than innuendos Pastor Larry:D

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I think Tony certainly spins things some times. But I haven't seen in a long time so I don't know of any specific examples. But my main point was not about Snow, but about the general expectation that press secretaries are expected to "carry the water" for the administration. When I have seen Snow, I think he has done a great job with the press.

3. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

This isn't much of an argument, Pastor Larry. In one sentence you say Tony spins things from time to time yet you have no evidence of this. Now when someone spins, I see this as a means of using a bit of deception and you think these are the qualities that are necessary for the great job he has done with the press?

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) No harm, eh? Proves you right, eh? I guess in Heaven that you can tell that to Kathryn Johnston since you can't tell her that on earth after police officers killed her in a no-knock raid:

On Nov. 21, plainclothes narcotics officers burst into Johnston's home, using a no-knock warrant they obtained by falsely telling a judge an informant had confirmed drug dealing there, according to government prosecutors. Johnston, 92, was killed during the raid in a hail of nearly 40 police gunshots.

Officers J.R. Smith and Gregg Junnier have pleaded guilty in state court to manslaughter, violation of oath, criminal solicitation and making false statements, and in federal court to conspiracy to violate a person's civil rights resulting in death. Smith also pleaded guilty to a state perjury charge. Junnier, who faces more than 10 years in prison, retired from the police force in January. Smith, who faces more than 12 years in prison, agreed to resign as part of his plea.

Arthur Tesler, a third officer charged in the shooting, faces charges of violation of oath by a public officer, making false statements and false imprisonment under color of legal process. Tesler has said he will fight the charges.

- www.accessnorthga.com/news/ap_newfullstory.asp?ID=94356

2) Do you really want to judge a fellow human being based on one remark, especially since you have never listened to his show? Is that what a Christian is supposed to do? At the very least your remark displays a remarkable insensitivity on your part.

#64 KenH, Jul 4, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2007
  5. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Do you dispute this? I think it is common knowledge. I don't watch him and haven't seen him in months since before he went into the hospital. But I don't think the fact that a press secretary spins things in a way favorable to the president if not the facts is breaking news. I can't imagine someone would dispute it.

It can be, but not always is.

No, I don't think that and didn't say that, as you can tell by reading my post. I think the "great job" he has done with the press is in how he handles them. He does not seem afraid to "put them in their places." That is irrespective of the content.

6. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

No. Please read carefully. What proved me right was your evidence that 1) these things happen (which I already said), and 2) they are mistakes (which I already said).

Do you know why they do no-knock raids?

No insensitivity at all. It actually shows an ability to critically analyze a comment, even if isolated. What he said shows that he was not thinking clearly or using hyperbole. On what possible basis would someone forfeit his life on earth, leaving his family behind, simply because of a mistaken police search?? Doesn't that seem rash to you?

All I can go on is what you said. I commented on that.

7. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

This is very troubling Pastor Larry. You don't watch Tony Snow and yet you accept this as common knowledge. Where is your credibility?

8. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

I used to watch him because he was on when I was eating lunch. Then he was in the hospital and out for a month, and since he has been back, I haven't been around TV during the press briefing. I don't schedule my life about WH press briefings because I really don't care that much, but I used to watch him. Plus I see clips from time to time, or read reports. I simply cannot think of a specific example right now. Given my desire to be honest and truthful about people and their positions, I don't give examples that I don't konw about. I know that flies in the face of the way some people do things, but it works OK for me.

But what is common knowledge is that press secretaries are hired to put the best possible spin on the issues. Do you dispute that Tony Snow is hired to do that?

Again, I am not sure what you are questioning here (apart from my credibility which isn't really the issue, unless you want to make this personal).

9. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

Using spin is the eventual outcome but relaying news to the media and public in regards of what the President is doing should be honest and straight forward, well anyway that is what some of us would like to believe if we weren't so naive.
    So I don't think you have quite proven your point about what is or isn't common knowledge.

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) You said, "I don't know of any of these cases that are actually verified."

2) Because they are afrad someone will flush drugs down the toilet(provided they are raiding the correct house). Just a part of the failed "War on Drugs" as any drugs flushed down the toilet or any drugs confiscated by the police or any drug dealers locked up will be replaced by other drugs and other drug dealers. The "War on Drugs" has been going on for what now? 40 years? No one can objectively call it a success.

11. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Okay. I don't think you really "prove" that something is common knowledge without asking a bunch of people, and I don't have the time or interest to do that. But I think it fairly safe to say that it is common knowledge that the press secretary is to put the best possible face on any given situation and that is generally what is called spin. If you disagree, that is fine with me.

12. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Yes. So? What is your point? I don't know any of them. I still don't though I have read an article or two. But I said from the beginning that they probably happen. And you verified that I was right.

This is certainly true.

13. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no good arguments that would cause Pastor Larry to re-consider his position (even if, after re-consideration, he decided not to change his mind).

So let's put this a different way. In my naive view of the world, the role of the government is to represent its people, and enforce the laws the people have decided (through representation via senators and representatives) are best for society.

Looking at the poll for this particular topic, will setting up cameras on the street corners be representative of what the people want their government to do?

Or is there someone somewhere saying, "I know better, and even if the majority of the people don't like it, we're going to do it anyway"?

14. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

This is exactly where we are today, this is how the government rules without the consideration of it's citizens.
    Good point Don, :thumbs: I agree with you.

15. billwald

billwald New Member

They hate what freedoms? The freedom to choose between a Republican and a Democrat tax man?

16. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

On a radio program this AM in LA: They are perfecting the technology, and making workable application of camera systems that will instantly detect the speed and relative position of vehicles (as in tailgating) while recording license numbers, relaying the info to main computers, which will spit out citations for immediate mailing to offenders. They expect the initial cost to be incredibly high, but with a phenomenal payback promised.

The kicker is that we won't have a thing to say about it. Just pay.

17. hillclimber1

Site Supporter

This surveillance issue is probably a natural thing, what with mans increasingly sinful heart, and the ability of techies to produce this stuff. The rub comes with having a so called free society, which, loses its freedoms little by little, as time goes on. These things will happen slowly enough that you soon realize, someone can be watching you, from your front door, back to your front door. That will be the main deterrent to crime in the future. IMHO. Team that up with neighbor telling on neighbor, like California is perfecting, and you have society under almost complete control. And that is precisely the direction the liberals are pushing.

#77 hillclimber1, Jul 7, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2007
  18. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Big Government "conservatives" will be there as well.

19. hillclimber1

Site Supporter

Whatever they call themselves, they are liberals.

20. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Either way, total surveillance is going to happen, and there is nothing we can do to stop it.