1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Grace and discipleship

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by nunatak, Apr 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The message does not frustrate grace. Works are not required for salvation. Works will be the result of salvation, as you said yourself--we are created to do good works.

Certainly, a death-bed conversion will be different, as the thief on the cross is too.

The point is this: If you are truly converted and you are given a span of time after your conversion you will as a Christian, by definition, produce good works. If you don't produce good works, it certainly gives everyone pause to consider if you are truly saved or not.

Blessings,

The Archangel

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

What's the span of time, though? My wife was saved in 2000, when I was not walking with the Lord. Without my guidance and encouragement, she soon after walked away from the Lord as I did. She has since rededicated her life in 2004, but she did not "produce fruit" for more than a couple weeks / months after her converson (and for those who doubt her conversion, she was saved then)
    This I can agree with. However, both arminians and calvinists state Scripture says they either lost their salvation, or were never saved to begin with. I know you hold to reformed theology, so I do not know to what extent you believe this.

3. HisWordIsTruth

HisWordIsTruth New Member

Notice the key phrase here . . . proper living is "required" as a result of salvation. OF COURSE IT IS. However just because something is a "requirement" doesn't mean it's going to get done. I require my son to obey me every time I tell him to do something. Does that mean he does? Of course not.

If my son never obeyed a single thing I told him to do would he stop being my son? Of course not.

We are children of God and that NEVER changes regardless of what we do or what we "don't" do.

First of all "I" don't say anything. Scripture says believe and you will be saved. That is Scripture speaking not me. And it is the ONLY thing that is required or again Paul was lying to this man. He didn't add anything else and he didn't qualify it by saying if you don't produce fruit then you really didn't believe in the first place.

Context, context, context.

Acts 16:30-31 and Eph. 2:8-9 tell us that salvation comes from a one-time faith, not an on-going faith. However James addresses "saved" people. And as such their "faith" unto everlasting life is NOT in view. He is talking about sanctifying faith.

You are mixing contexts.

Notice again the key phrase . . . this is basic to "Christianity". What is "Christianity", but being Christ-like. This is speaking of the way we live. Again we can tell where folks are "disciples" or not by the way they are living, but there is NOTHING that can tell us whether a person has believed on the Lord Jesus or not.

Again just because someone believed on the Lord Jesus doesn't mean they are going to follow in discipleship.

Of course they will. Once again a "Christian" has to do with lifestyle/discipleship and a "true Christian" will live a Christian life, but not all believers are "Christians".

Nowhere does Paul preach this as a guarantee. Again if this was a guarantee one would not need to tell us to live right. We just would.

ABSOLUTELY agree with you!!! However not everyone is going to get into the battle. There are many that are perfectly okay with sitting on the sidelines, because you don't get hurt and there is no cost (at least they think) in being a hearer of the Word and not a doer!

4. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    Believing and living as a disciple are part-and-parcel. Certainly we are justified and undergo progressive sanctification. But it is God that does both. Therefore, both will be there.

This you will have to explain:

You said this:

This is just silly. Things like belief and the subsequent derivative good works are required. IF the requirement is not me, there are consequences. If you don't believe, you go to hell. If you don't do good works (IE. your life does not represent that you have faith and that you have repented), you may not be a believer--as evidenced by your fruits. That too results in hell, not because you didn't do good works, but because you were never a believer to begin with--and that is evidenced not doing the requisite good works.

Later,

The Archangel

5. HisWordIsTruth

Again this statement is absolutely true! Without faith it is impossible to please God. However there is a one-time believe/faith and then there is a progressive/on-going faith/believe.

You are mixing the two different types. One is for everlasting life and one is for sanctification.

Again context is the key!

Well if that is true then why does Paul make this statement?

Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely; and may your whole spirit, soul, and body be preserved blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Those are not "indicitive" verbs meaning certainty, but rather subjunctive verbs meaning possibility. Why would Paul say this is a possibility and his desire if it was a guarantee to happen?

All Christians possess everlasting life, but all possessors of everlasting life are not Christians.

All disciples possess everlasting life, but all possessors of everlasting life are not disciples.

Well I was just repeating your statement :).

Those are "your" words and "not" the words of Scripture. So are we to believe you or Scripture?

I have already given you a text that says "disciples" stopped following Christ, and nowhere does it say they weren't "really saved" or that they lost their salvation. So neither of these two false ideas are taught in Scripture.

Again good works are "commanded" of us. If we were "going" to do good works we wouldn't have to be "commanded" to do them. Again we don't go around commanding each other to breath. Because without outside influences that's exactly what we are going to do whether we're told to or not.

6. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. There are not two different types. The Bible never speaks of two "faiths." In fact, Jude 3 speaks of "The faith, once for all delivered to the saints."

You argue:

But, this is based an a false assumption. The text, by saying they stopped following Christ is saying they were not true believers.

I'll have to do a bit more research to answer this properly. My suspicion is that it is related to a certain class of condition. Whatever the case, it is clear what Paul wants them to do--to live rightly.

So, are you saying that people who are not Christians are going to be saved? Or am I misunderstanding your statement.

Because, and this is really important, if you are saying that people can/will be saved without being Christians, you are committing and promulgating a grave heresy.

Ah, the strawman argument. You have yet to convincingly show where my statements and scripture are not the same.

But, as sinners...or now redeemed sinners, we do not, by nature, always do good, do we? Your analogy is flawed because it assumes we, by nature, always do what is right. And, even as believers, we don't.

The Archangel

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jason Jump once again your logic is clearly flawed.

8. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Again?? :eek:

9. HisWordIsTruth

Well I'm sorry, but Scripture disagrees with you. There is an aorist, active, imparitive (Acts 16:30-31), which is also described in Eph. 2:8-9 as a perfect, passive, participle (this is actually the verb saved, but the salvation is based on the faith - saved is a completed action so therefore the beleiving would be completed as well).

Then throughout the gospels we see a "present, active, participle" believe, which is a continuing faith.

A false assumption in what? I'm repeating what the text says. You are the one making the assumption in that these folks weren't "really believers" in the first place. Sorry, but that's NOT what the text says. The text says they were disciples. So we can either believe that and conform our beliefs to it or we can ignore it and continue to believe what we believe in spite of what Scripture says.

Again either the authors are lying or they were telilng the truth. I happen to believe they were telling the truth and as such they don't say what you are saying.

Again I absolutley agree. But having a desire for someone to do something and them actually doing it is two totally different things. God desires for us to conform to the image of His Son and to have our minds renewed and for us to live as living sacrifices and to be fruit producers, etc., etc., etc. However just because God "desires" something doesn't mean it's going to come to be.

Yes you are misunderstanding my statement.

Modern day religion has taken a number of Biblical words and assigned to them non-Biblical meanings. "Christian" is one of those words. In Scripture a "Christian" was a person that was living in a Christ-like way.

However today "Christian" means anyone that is saved regardless of lifestyle.

That's why I said all "Christians" (those living Christ-like) are possessors of everlasting life, but not all folks who possess everlasting life are "Christians" (living a Christ-like life).

Hope that clarifies a bit.

That's EXACTLY what you and others are assuming. You are assuming just because we are saved that while we will not live a perfect life we will live a life of obedience and faithfulness. However that is not the case. It is not our nature to do that. We still have the old nature that is warring with our spirits.

That is why we are told not to live according to the flesh, because that is a "real" possibility. But instead we are to walk according to the Spirit. However that is a day-by-day, moment-by-moment decision that we must make.

And there are some folks that rarely make the right decision, because they just aren't interested. It doesn't have anything do with whether they believed on the Lord Jesus or not. It has to do with whether or not they are willing to pay the price that is required to be a disciple. Some just aren't willing to pay that price.

10. HisWordIsTruth

Excuse me? What in the world are you talking about?

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

He hasn't brought up "baptist purgatory" (ME) yet, so I'm not so sure. One can hold to this understanding of justification and sanctification without taking it to the heretical side of soteriology known as Millenial Exclusion.

#31 webdog, Apr 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2008
  12. skypair

skypair Active Member

That is a common error among those who think that belief and faith don't transmit the WILL to do what God commands.

MUST = legalism, nunatak. Many people doubt their own salvation because they do not feel the will to "follow," as you say. That is a totally spiritual conviction of the Holy Spirit and if you have truly trusted in Christ, it is a plea to God, "God, I believe, HELP THOU MY UNBELIEF!" Mk 9:24

Many of us sit through sermons on Sunday questioning whether what the preacher said is truly what God says. Should I tithe? Am I to "evangelize the world?" Are you calling me to preach? We ALL need to pray as that father did -- "help my unbelief."

And BTW, it's a question we all ought to ask ourselves but NOT judge others with.

Eleven disciples didn't know how to heal that father's son. They needed to know HOW, right? God, help thou MY (skypair's) unbelief!! :praying:

skypair

#32 skypair, Apr 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2008
  13. standingfirminChrist

I notice your profile says WBC for Church, HisWordisTruth.

Are you quite sure you don't know Jason Jump? After all, his Church was Woodridge Baptist Church. Same initials.

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think he has been ratted out. What, isn't this the second time in so many months he has come back here?

15. HisWordIsTruth

And your point is? Oh yeah you want to accuse me of being someone because our church's initials are the same :laugh:.

Do any of you have "real" proof to back up your claims? Who is this Jason Jump character and why is he so despised around here?

16. standingfirminChrist

HisWordIsTruth,

What is your stance on the saved at the judgment seat of Christ? Do you believe some of the saved will be cast into outer darkness?

17. HisWordIsTruth

You answer my question. What "real" proof do you have to back up your accusations?

18. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's see, the last time he was here he was:

Seekinghistruth from South America

This time he is :

Hiswordistruth and he is from America

Could be just me but the similarities are strangely coincidental. Top that off with the same tone in his posts. And an avoidance of questions asked that wil incriminate him.

19. standingfirminChrist

Same evasive tactics used by other poster.

20. HisWordIsTruth

Boy you really don't have any "real" proof do you. Go back and look at a post by Seekinghistruth. It's says he is from the USA NOT South America.

Where is the "real" proof? Is this what this board is all about? Folks making accusations without having to "prove" anything.

Now revmitchell why don't you just show me how I'm mistaken and have a "civil" discussion. Is that possible?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.