1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GRACE and TULIP - Calvinism rebooted

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by jdlongmire, Jun 18, 2008.

1. jdlongmire

jdlongmire New Member

Conceptualized by Klay A. Aspinwall, over on the Sword & Trowel blog, I believe it captures the essence of the TULIP acrostic for the purpose it was originally conceived, but gives an opportunity to avoid some of the "baggage" :) - for convenient reference, I have aligned the letters of TULIP to the associated sections:

God Glorified (TULIP) - a biblical understanding of salvation results in the exclusive glory being given to God alone, and not to the one who receives or to the instruments who are used to bring this salvation (Rom. 9.16; John 1.13). Why did God so act in our salvation? The answer of God's Word is, “to the praise of the glory of His grace” (Eph. 1.6; Rom. 9.23).

Redemption Resolved (TU) - from all eternity, out of the mass of fallen humanity, God resolved not to allow all humanity to perish in their rebellion, but rather to intervene and provide redemption for a specific people to the 'glory of His grace'. He could have chosen to save all (universalism); He could have chosen to save none (as He did with the fallen angels); but praise Him, He did choose to save some (Eph. 1.4-5; 2 Thess. 2.13-14). This is known in scripture as ‘Election’ - God's eternal choice to save sinners. The choice was based not on foreseen merit or worthiness in the sinner, but purely motivated by the unconditional love and mercy of God (1 John 4.19; Eph. 2.4).

Atonement Accomplished (UL) - When Jesus died, his satisfaction of the wrath of God was surely sufficient for the redemption of the entire world many times over, but is only efficient for those who believe in Him. The triumph of the cross did not merely make salvation possible, but rather, it actually secured the salvation of everyone who would, by God's grace, believe in Him (Heb. 9.12; Rom. 5.8-9) - those who are called the "elect" in scripture. Atonement for such sinners was completely accomplished - Christ made certain the salvation of everyone who would believe in Him, the very ones who were entrusted to Him by the Father (John 6.35-40; 10.24-29; 17.2,6, 9-12, 24-26). If atonement were not objectively secured for anyone, then the salvation of no one would be certain. And, if atonement were objectively secured for everyone, then no one could ever be condemned (resulting in universalism). Thus the shorthand: 'sufficient for the world, efficient only for the elect'.

Conversion Completed (TI) - the work of God's grace in conversion is known as regeneration (‘being born again’) and is always completed (John 1.12-13). The soul that is quickened by God's grace (Eph. 2.4-5) will willingly come to repentance and faith, though before reaching that point may run, resist and hide (Phil. 1.29; 2 Tim. 2.25-26). When we consider what the Bible has to say about our need to be 'born again', we understand that our human nature is completely influenced and corrupted by sin (1 Cor. 2.14). Left to our own will and to our own desire, no one would ever come to Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior (John 6.64-65). Thank God that His grace intervenes and liberates us from the bondage of our sin, that we might joyfully and freely embrace Jesus Christ (John 6.37).

Endurance Ensured (UP) - As salvation from beginning to end is a free work of God's grace alone, so each and every redeemed soul shall be empowered by His grace to endure in faith 'till the end (1 Pet. 1.3-5; Matt. 24.13). We persevere as God Himself preserves us. His grace ensures our endurance and eternal salvation (Titus 1.1-2). Those who fall away from the faith do so because they have never truly been born again (1 John 2.19). A child of God, once adopted by grace, will forever be counted among God's people.

For a detailed presentation of TULIP with Scriptural proofs, please see this post.

I hope this is helpful to others, as it has been to me. :)

#1 jdlongmire, Jun 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2008
  2. mparkerfd20

mparkerfd20 Member

I like it. I think it does a lot better job of explaining my personal belief system than TULIP does.

3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...a tulip By any other name would smell so...

4. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The thing with calvanism is that you have to get into what you believe about free will. Do we have free will? Or if we have a propensity for sin (total depravity) then do we really have a "free" will or is it limited?

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

"Rebooted?"

Actually, I'm pretty sure Calvinism predates computers by several years. :rolleyes:

:laugh: :laugh:

Ed

6. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The free will of unregenerate man is defined by the boundaries of his fallen nature. That fallen nature may hear the word of God, even memorize it, or sleep with his headset on and his dvd player with the Bible being read to him, it will remain a mystery to him, or a simple set of good rules to follow, or just foolishness to him.
    He may use it as a pattern to better himself, but his attitude towards God and Jesus Christ will not change. To him, He is a good person, maybe even a lovable person, somebody worth emulating.
    But he will not worship Him, or turn away from the idols he has, or submit himself to the scrutiny of the Holy Spirit as David did. He will not readily accept sin as sin.
    He goes to church because it is something he has been raised to do, but missing it and the brethren is no big deal to him. His will is subordinate to his nature.
    He never feels conflict within himself, the brethren in church are just a set of good and Godly friends, he doesn't really believe he'll see them in heaven, because he doesn't really believe in heaven.

Paul wrote in 1 Corinthians 2:14 thus "But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned".

7. jdlongmire

jdlongmire New Member

I can't help it - I am a geek :D - I go with what I know :D

8. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

:laugh: :laugh:

Ed

9. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So then by your believe man has limited free will to no free will and must therefore believe in an elect the way Calvin means it. right?

10. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Believing in an "elect" or holding to the doctrine of election does not make one possess free will.

I am saying that the natural man, a.k.a. as the unregenerate does not have the free will that you say he has to choose himself into salvation.

And I've quoted an appropriate Scripture for all who care to read one.

11. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That's what I said: limited to none.