1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Grace makes faith effective

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Mexdeaf, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Was studying these verses this week-

Romans 4:16-25

16 That is why it depends on faith, in order that the promise may rest on grace and be guaranteed to all his offspring—not only to the adherent of the law but also to the one who shares the faith of Abraham, who is the father of us all, 17 as it is written, “I have made you the father of many nations”—in the presence of the God in whom he believed, who gives life to the dead and calls into existence the things that do not exist. 18 In hope he believed against hope, that he should become the father of many nations, as he had been told, “So shall your offspring be.” 19 He did not weaken in faith when he considered his own body, which was as good as dead (since he was about a hundred years old), or when he considered the barrenness of Sarah's womb. 20 No unbelief made him waver concerning the promise of God, but he grew strong in his faith as he gave glory to God, 21 fully convinced that God was able to do what he had promised. 22 That is why his faith was “counted to him as righteousness.” 23 But the words “it was counted to him” were not written for his sake alone, 24 but for ours also. It will be counted to us who believe in him who raised from the dead Jesus our Lord, 25 who was delivered up for our trespasses and raised for our justification.

So according to verse 16, it is grace that makes our faith effective. Thus, grace precedes faith. And the power of justification is in God's grace, not in man's faith.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree up to this point

All of salvation rests in God alone. But this point does not prove that man's role in salvation is nothing but passive.

3. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

That was not my point. Both grace and faith are needed, but which truly justifies?

4. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh I see....What did God say justified Abraham? Was it grace or faith?

5. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Faith, based upon the underlying grace of God, as v. 16 says. Faith without grace cannot justify.

6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not disagree, however my position is that grace is the offer or drawing and faith is the response to the grace. You certainly cannot have one without the other.

7. Allan

Allan Active Member

Of course grace makes faith - effective.

However I would presume you recognize that we are 'justified by faith', not grace, right? ...And that it is 'through faith' we have 'access' into His grace?

Yet, if it was not for His grace being the initial cause (thus the "by whom" reveals the first cause here), how would we know in whom to believe or that His grace has been provided :) And if it were not for 'faith' you would not have access to His grace - benefits of His grace.

God's sovereignty and man's responsibilty.. What an amazing picture. Two sides of an eternal coin.

#7 Allan, Jul 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2013
  8. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Amen. Just... amazing.