1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Graham Kendrick

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by S.Hutton, Feb 12, 2002.

1. S.Hutton

S.Hutton New Member

Hello all.

What do people think of Graham Kendrick songs, and would you be happy singing them in a church service?

Look forward to plenty of replies!

Simon [​IMG]

2. Barnabas H.

Barnabas H. <b>Oldtimer</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are familiar with Graham Kendrick and his Contemporary Christian music. I believe that he is one of the moderates in rhythm and syncopation, and is not a screamer. His songs The Beatitudes, Rock of Ages, Consider it Joy, Peace to You, and Shine Jesus Shine are actually pleasant to the ear - but to answer your question, no I would not use his music for worship. I would not mind listening to him as a "music ministry" or "special music" but for worship I like the faithful Hymns of the ages. [​IMG]

P.S. Welcome to the BB!

3. S.Hutton

S.Hutton New Member

Take for example, the words of GK's hymn: Come and See. The words are sound and acceptable in my opinion, and would have no problems with singing it in a church service.

I would, however, have my reservations about the instruments it was sung to. I personally prefer to sing just to the piano.

What are your thoughts?

4. qwerty

qwerty New Member

Can you list the instruments that you have reservations about?

I am a pianist, myself, and sometimes lead worship. I love the piano, but personally, I enjoy many instruments being used in praise and worship. My favorite group of instruments, that I feel can work for most songs, is the piano, guitar, bass, and drum set. Add about 4 - 6 voices, mixed evenly between male and female, and you can do a lot.

I have known of Graham Kendrick's music for about 15 years, and enjoy much of it. I even got the chance to meet him in Kansas City. He wrote the music for the March for Jesus when it first got started.

5. S.Hutton

S.Hutton New Member

Personally I have reservations about using instruments in worship, such as:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Drums,
    <LI>Electric guitars,
    <LI>Tamborines,etc.
    [/list]

The reason being I don't think music should be used to whip people up into some sort of frenzy - which is what drum kits, tamborines, electric guitars etc. are good at doing.

I, however, would see no problem in having a trumpet, piano, violin, normal guitar etc. to sing along to.

What I object to is hymns being turned too modern and ending up as pop songs almost - what with drum beats, electric guitar solos etc.

Simon [​IMG]

6. qwerty

qwerty New Member

From how I understand the Apostle Paul in 1 Cor. 12, unity is diversity. The Body is not one member. Fortunately. When we lead worship, we do need to understand that the Body is diverse.

When we serve Jesus by leading worship for His Body, we can accomodate more than our own needs and wants.

For some, this will be too stretching. We get in a rut, and stay there. The walls of our rut sometimes are too high to even see over. And being in a rut can be very comfortable.

But, fortunately, with Jesus, there is always more. Because of Who He is, as the Head of the Body, He understands the needs of the Body, and provides for the Body. Sometimes that means that the Body will have its needs met outside of the walls of the church. Because often what happens inside the walls of the church look like the Body is only one member.

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. S.Hutton

S.Hutton New Member

Unity... hmm... how many churches do you hear of that split over issues such as Graham Kendrick songs .. or more to the point, which hymn boom to have... or how many instruments etc.

All very sad - whatever happened to the principles in Psalm 133!

Simon :rolleyes:

9. Barnabas H.

Barnabas H. <b>Oldtimer</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by S.Hutton:
    What I object to is hymns being turned too modern and ending up as pop songs almost - what with drum beats, electric guitar solos etc. Simon [​IMG]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My sentiments exactly! That is why I prefer the good old Gospel Hymns in worship anytime. [​IMG]

10. S.Hutton

S.Hutton New Member

I prefer a careful mixture of old traditional hymns as well as some more modern ones that I would call sound, and that are sung to tunes that don't whip up emotional frenzies etc.

Most of Graham Kendrick's songs are trash in my opinion, but if one is selective a few of his songs are perfectly singable I think.

The same is true for other modern writers too of course not just GK!

Simon :cool:

11. Daniel

Daniel New Member

I use Graham K primarily for my girls' ensemble and youth choir. It functions in a special music venue, not congregational worship. Balance, variety and the right application (singing venue and/or group used) for the right song are watchwords of my church music ministry and leadership.

12. S.Hutton

S.Hutton New Member

Do you think that any of the GK songs/hymns have any words that are spiritually incorrect?

Would you be happy singing them if so?

Just a thought! Simon ;)

13. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

In my old church, we used to sing his songs all the time, particularly, "Shine, Jesus, Shine".

14. Molly

Molly New Member

I think some of his songs are some of the better *contemporary* songs out there,(He and PDI Worship),that said,I still think his songs lack the biblical depth needed for a worship service and are not appropriate for corporate worship...maybe a special song here and there by him would be okay,like in the youth group or children's ministry,or listening to it in my car at times...but not for a worship service,I think there is much better out there.

:D

[ December 17, 2002, 01:19 PM: Message edited by: Molly ]

15. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

S.Hutton said:

I would, however, have my reservations about the instruments it was sung to. I personally prefer to sing just to the piano.

Is this merely a personal preference, or do you have objective, moral/Biblical reasons for preferring one form of vibration to another?

16. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    St. Paul seemed to think that sounding brass and tinkling cymbals were irritating noises--I mean vibrations.

17. Pete

Pete New Member

I like Shine Jesus Shine, although organist at previous Church gave me something to think about when pointed out something along the lines of that it could be taken as an order, not a prayer.

My favourite Kendrick song is "We believe", I think a mini-sermon should be given on the lines "We believe He sends His Spirit, On His church with gifts of power" before starting to use it though. Don't want people to get the wrong idea [​IMG]

If he keeps at it he might get to Watts/Wesley standard one day ;)

Pete

18. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Aaron said:

St. Paul seemed to think that sounding brass and tinkling cymbals were irritating noises--I mean vibrations.

Of course, seen in context, it has nothing to do with the morality of certain musical instruments vs. others.