1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Grammer police

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Salty, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I realize we are not all English majors. In fact, I failed 9th grade English in High School.

However, I do my best to use proper grammar, spelling, and ect.

Just curious as to how some feel about those on this board who consistently make common spelling errors, other grammar errors, not using proper capitalization, and ect.

Salty

PS - this thread is NOT directed at those who first language is other than American English.

2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I used to cringe when people would misspell 'grammar' (like in the thread title) or misspell etc. (like in your post), or capitalizing words like high school, but with the advent of smartphones and people posting to the internet with them, I've cut people a lot of slack. It's tough to type accurately on those things and sometimes the spell checker is incorrect.

3. Carolina Baptist

Carolina Baptist Active Member

There are mistakes that make me think "don't they know ... ", then I remember that I too am prone to err in spelling and grammar. If I get past those problems I find that typos sneak up on me.

4. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's not a research paper - it's an informal internet message board.

Surely we can all cut each other some slack - especially since we don't know who has a spelling/reading/writing weakness or mild dysfunction. I would hate to pass judgment on someone based solely on his or her informal writing.

However, since all we have is each other's printed words and we have no faces to look at, no voices to hear, and no other way of identifying ourselves with each other, sometimes if a person hastily writes a post and it's FULL of gross errors that an elementary school child could easily edit - sometimes one may make an assumption that one's intellect on the subject at hand is no better than his or her spelling and grammar.

And that's sad.

There are lots of people whose writing/grammar is dysfunctional, but they are very smart people with much to teach the rest of us.