1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Grand Canyon University

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Carolina Baptist, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Carolina Baptist

Carolina Baptist Active Member

Does anyone know anything about Grand Canyon University? They say that they are a Christian university but I haven't found a doctrinal statement on the web site.

2. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I went to Grand Canyon College in 1970, fresh out of high school I had a music scholarship, and only did one year there, and went back home to Tucson to Univ of Arizona. It was an SBC school back then.

When we were in Phoenix last year on a short vacation, we drove to the campus, and we chatted with a pedestrian. He told us the school was no longer affiliated with the Southern Baptist Convention. I don't know who bought the school. You could e-mail them and ask them.
    And now it's Grand Canyon University.

3. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok- I had to check....there is NO doctrinal statement anymore. The closest they come is this page:

http://www.gcu.edu/news.php

very vague usage of the term "Christian" - never commit to what they actually believe anymore.

4. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am just not sure about this school anymore....
    this is one of their news stories that is posted on the GCC site:

July 21, 2007​
    Alice Cooper and partners dream big for area teens​

His four decades of shock-rock music with snakes slithering across his shoulders, fake blood and macabre black makeup would not suggest Alice Cooper entertains thoughts about providing a haven of activities for teens on a Christian college campus. But the Valley music icon and the Solid Rock Foundation he leads are beating their drums to raise $7.3 million to
    create The Rock, a Christian youth center at Baptist-based Grand Canyon University in Phoenix. The 29,450- square-foot center would include sports facilities, a concert hall, recording studios and sound room, coffeehouse,computer lab, a rock-climbing wall, game room, dancing space, skateboard area and other amenities. They believe it can be the model for teen centers across the U.S., tapping into youth’s desire to hear and perform music and hang out in a place with alluring activities.
    In The Rock’s music studio, future stars might be nurtured and inspired.
    Cooper, a recovering alcoholic and son and grandson of Christian pastors, often says his ghoulish music and concerts are entertainment, farce and satire — and not the real him. The singer, whose albums have included
    “Alice Cooper Goes to Hell,” “Lace to Whiskey” and “Prince of Darkness,” repeatedly says he wants teens to have a place to be safe from drugs, gangs and guns. The man who recorded “Welcome to My Nightmare” is
    dreaming that Valley teenagers will make the center a kind of school of rock ’n’ roll. Today, Cooper and his band are winding up the 17-day Australian leg of the Psycho-Drama Tour. The world tour
    resumes in August in the U.S. for at least 35 dates through October. After the tour, the 59-year-old singer will be ready for the annual Alice Cooper’s Christmas Pudding that will raise additional funds for the foundation and
    The Rock. Add to that the annual Alice Cooper Celebrity Am Golf Tournament. Both events draw richly from the singer’s friends in the music industry and sports. ​

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

If I recall...Alice Cooper has become a believer.

6. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    he says he got saved, but have you heard his radio program lately? Nothing very G rated about it al all. Our local rock station airs it, so I listened one day to see if his profession came through. It doesn't.

7. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    GCU is now a for-profit enterprise.
    Assemblies of God televangelist Tommy Barnett served briefly as chancellor soon after the new owners took over, but apparently is no longer associated with the school.

From the school's catalog:

"Another landmark event occurred at the turn of the century that moved the University away from being owned and operated by the Arizona Southern Baptists[sic] Convention to being self-owned by the Board of Trustees.
    Four years later, in 2004, the University’s ownership once again changed when it was purchased by Significant Education, LLC. At this time, the University became a for-profit institution with a vision for maintaining the strength of its campus-based programs, as well as a strong emphasis on Online program offerings. Currently, Significant Education, Inc. owns the University."

From the http://my.gcu.edu/ website:

GCU STATEMENT OF FAITH

At Grand Canyon University, faith is represented from the context of our Christian heritage. Our student, faculty, and staff demographics represent over 20 denominations, allowing us to embrace a broad spectrum of faith. We believe that all Christians are united spiritually in our Lord Jesus Christ. Through that belief, opportunity exists in an environment of mutual respect to allow individuals the freedom and occasion to discuss differing opinions, and to make faith a matter of meaningful consideration. We welcome dialogue from diverse faiths and beliefs, while identifying with the commitment to the Christian faith.

UNIVERSITY THEOLOGICAL POSITION

Grand Canyon University firmly believes that the knowledge and acceptance of Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior is central to the Spiritual Life of the University. In an atmosphere of mutual respect, our Christian doctrinal focus is the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Our goal as a University is to prepare and produce students who will be living examples of God’s grace and truth at home, in the workplace and in the community.