1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Grandparent Scam

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Benjamin, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My MIL in MT got a call today saying "Hi, Grandma it's me your grandson" She said, "who" and named off names. The person on the phone chose my son's name and proceeded to tell her he had gone to Mexico for a wedding and got into trouble, was in jail, in danger, needed $3,500 wired to a friend who was paying the other half of $7,000 for a car accident, and proceeded to beg her not to tell his mom or dad.

She went to the bank and an alert bank teller became suspicious but could not talk her out of tranferring the money. Luckily the teller knew my MIL's other daughter (SIL) who works in a nearby bank and was able to convince her to talk to her daughter first. My MIL was so convinced that she would not leave without a money order made for the amount and reluctantly went talk to my SIL and the transaction was stopped.

Don't know what else to say other than this cleaverly conducted scam hit close to home and to beware out there. Maybe inform the elders that this is going on.

#1 Benjamin, Nov 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2011
  2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  4. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

A new take on an old scam. This has been used with missionaries and churches also. Churches receive an e-mail saying the missionary has been robbed or arrested and needs financial help, etc.