1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Grass for Grammy

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by KenH, Feb 5, 2009.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Grass for Grammy

By Bill Graham
    February 5, 2009

It's not often that bluegrass music and prime-time television converge, which is probably a good thing.

But a little national attention toward this music gives us hobby pickers some satisfaction and sells more recordings and concert tickets for the people who risk financial ruin to follow the lonesome road.

So hoist a toast everyone, The SteelDrivers are about to crash the televised portion of the Grammy Awards show on Sunday, Feb. 8, at 7 p.m. central standard time.

The bluesy bluegrass band from Nashville is nominated for the best country performance by a duo or a group with vocals. How they showed up in this category is a surprise, although I have a theory that they're a breath of fresh air to Grammy voters.

So what's different for Sunday?

Maybe there's corporate politicking that we don't know about, where some big label said let the little SteelDrivers into the mix so our big star will have a better chance of winning.

But I'd like to think it's something else.

I'm going to cast an opinion that many in the music industry are as sick as I am of techno electric, cyberfied, calculated, theatrical and wishy washy hard rock presented as country music.

Those people chose the SteelDrivers as a nominee in this category as an act of rebellion.

- rest at www.mandolincafe.com/news/publish/mandolins_001022.shtml