1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Great Bet

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by KenH, Oct 19, 2022.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bought a Standardbred horse(well, 1% of a horse) today - an Ontario yearling pacing colt named Great Bet by All Bets Off and Lady Be Great. Nice video of him. Lady Be Great is a daughter of Shes A Great Lady, which has a race named after her at Woodbine Mohawk.

#1 KenH, Oct 19, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2022
  2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ken... How do you buy 1% of a horse?... The only horse I ever had was a Charley Horse... Brother Glen:D

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Stable

5. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks Ken... Guess harness racing is different, if 100 people own 1% of a horse you have a full horse... Keep the horse happy, well fed and cared for... Brother Glen:)

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, the Stable.ca has several hundred people, I think like 800 or 900, that buy into various horses. I have three I have bought into myself.

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very interesting. I see there are monthly costs as well (for the care of the horse) and winnings are split to the owners.

Have you made money on your investments?

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    One does not own horses to make money unless you have a horse that wins a bunch of money in the big races. I do it for the fun of having a horse that is owned by a group that I am in. But the better a horse races then the less money I have to put in for expenses. Sometimes I get a large enough balance that I can go several months without having to pay anything for expenses.

Which is the point of fractional ownership. I get 1% of the purse winnings and I only pay for 1% of the expenses.

Sort of like as a horse race bettor I am a small timer(well, I consider myself a small timer) in doing so as I just do it as a hobby and for the mental challenge of handicapping horse races. Took me about 5 years but I actually made money on my bets last year and am doing so again so far this year.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not one to be horsing around

• Funny Funny x 1