1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Great Calvinists Quotes...

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by C.R. Gordon, Jan 29, 2003.

1. C.R. Gordon

C.R. Gordon New Member

George Whitefield said, "We are all born Arminians." It is grace that turns us into Calvinists.

2. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

"I love to proclaim these strong old doctrines, that are called by nickname Calvinism, but which are surely and verily the revealed truth of God as it is in Christ Jesus...as for human authorities... I care not what they say, pro or con, as to this doctrine. I have only used them as a kind of confirmation to your faith to show you that whilst I may be railed upon as a heretic and as a hyper-Calvinist, after all I am backed up by antiquity. All the past stands by me, I do not care for the present. Give me the past and I will hope for the future. Let the present rise up in my teeth; I will not care. What though a host of the churches in London may have forsaken the great cardinal doctrines of God, it matters not. If a handful of us stand alone in an unfliching maintenance of the sovereignty of our God, if we are beset by enemies, ay, and even by our own brethren, who ought to be our friends and helpers, it matters not, if we can but count upon the past; the noble army of martyrs, the glorious host of confessors, and our friends; the witnesses of truth stand by us. With these for us, we will not say that we stand alone; but we may exclaim, "Lo, God hath reserved unto himself seven thousand that have not bowed the knee unto Baal!" But the best of all is, God is with us."

--CH Spurgeon

3. Skandelon

"I praise you, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that you have hidden these things from the wise and intelligent and have revealed them to little children. Yes, Father, for this was well-pleasing in your sight. All things have been handed over to Me by My Father; and no one know the Son, except the Father; nor does anyone know the Father, except the Son, and anyone to whom the Son wills to reveal Him."

--Jesus of Nazareth

4. C.R. Gordon

C.R. Gordon New Member

good stuff sam!

5. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

"The saving power of faith resides thus, not in itself, but in the Almighty Savior on whom it rests.....
    It is not, strictly speaking, even faith in Christ that saves, but Christ that saves through faith"
    B.B. Warfield

6. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anyone who is a Calvinist knows about Dr. John Gill and it has been commented about his ink lithograph why he is never smiling. Instead there is a scowl upon his face... They say that the reason for this is because an Arminian just walked by!... Brother Glen :D

7. Brutus

Brutus Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All changes,successes,disappointments--all that is memorable in the annals of history,all the risings and falls of empires,all the turns in human life--take place according to God's plan.In vain men contrive and combine to accomplish their own counsels.Unless they are parts of His counsel likewise,the efforts of their utmost strenght and wisdom are crossed and reversed by the feeblest and most unthought-of circumstances.But when He has a work to accomplish and His time is come,however inadequate and weak that means He employs may seem to a carnal eye,the success is infallibly secured;for all things serve Him,and are in His hands as clay in the hands of the potter.Great and marvelous are Thy works,Lord God Almighty!Just and true are Thy ways,Thou King of saints!John Newton,1787 [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. TomMann

TomMann New Member

A lack of depth in the inner life accounts for most of the doctrinal error in the church.
    Sound conviction of sin, deep humiliation on account of it, and a sense of utter weakness,
    unworthiness conduct the mind to the belief in the doctrines of grace, while shallowness in
    these matters leaves a man content with a superficial creed.

Charles Spurgeon

9. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "If ever it should come to pass,
    That sheep of Christ might fall away,
    My fickle, feeble soul, alas!
    Would fall a thousand times a day."

Charles Haddon Spurgeon... He is so noted for his God honoring poetry!... Brother Glen [​IMG]

Here is a link on his Defence Of Calvinism

http://www.spurgeon.org/calvinis.htm

[ January 29, 2003, 10:47 PM: Message edited by: tyndale1946 ]

10. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

George Whitefield said, 'We are all born Arminians. It is grace that makes us into Calvinists.'

If he was kidding--his statement is cute; if he was serious he was a bigot.

"We all are born sinners; it is grace that makes us all Christians." {Ray Berrian}

11. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

C.H. SPURGEON

'Who wishes all men to be saved, and to come to the knowledge of the truth.'

C.H. Spurgeon in preaching from I Timothy 2:4 said in the Metropolitan Tabernacle Pulpit, volume 26, pages 49-52 this statement.

'What then? Shall we try to put another meaning into the text than that which it fairly bears? I {trow} not . . . . You must, most of you, be acquainted with the general method in which our older Calvinistic friends deal with this text. . "All men" say they "that is some men": as if the Holy Ghost could not have said "some men" if He meant some men. "All men," say they: "that is, some of all sorts of men": as if the Lord could not have said, "All sorts of men" if He had meant that. The Holy Ghost by the apostle has written, "All men," and unquestionably he means all men . . . . My love of consistency with my own doctrinal view is not great enough to allow me knowingly to alter a single text of Scripture.'

12. sturgman

sturgman New Member

How bout a good quote from Spurgeon here.

"Some of you have so much dust on your bible, that you could write the word 'damed' on it."

Spurgeon sure did have a way of putting things. [​IMG]

13. sturgman

sturgman New Member

I must not be like other calvinist when it comes to this verse, because I interpret this to say that that he wishes all men to be saved. Just as he doesn't delight in the death of the wicked, yet wicked people still die. He didn't enjoy the death of Christ, but ordained it for His greater glory. Maybe this is not the best way, but that is the way I have always understood it.

14. Skandelon

Don't treat Spurgeon like you do the scriptures Ray, by only quoting the parts you like to hear. Give us the context and I'm sure you'll see a strong Calvinistic exposition of this passage.

Those Arminians, always trying to make dead people say things they didn't believe. ;)

15. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Samuel,

The only thing you will have to come to terms about is did Rev. Charles H. Spurgeon make this statement in the Metropolitan Tabernacle Pulpit, Volume 26, page 49-52. Most people know that Spurgeon did not believe the Calvinistic, alleged "Limited Atonement." Sorry to break the news to you.'

16. Skandelon

I'm not disputing the quote Ray, I'm disputing your implication that Spurgeon wasn't maintaining his Calvinistic stance even in the light of Tim. 2:4.

Spurgeon's view of Limited Atonement, I assure you was Calvinistic. He, like Sproul, McArthur and many other modern day Calvinistic writers define things a little differently than Arminus did when he came up with "TULIP".

Unless your a universalist you too believe in a form of limited atonement. It's a question of who does the limiting. The choice of man or the choice of God. Either way the application of the atonement is limited to believers, otherwise everyone would be saved.

Spurgeon most definitly held to a Calvinistic form of the atonement, so stop acting as if you know so much, you didn't even know you held to a form limited atonement.

Sam

17. sturgman

sturgman New Member

"We are often told that we limit the atonement of Christ because we say that Christ has not made a satisfaction for all men or all men would be saved. Now I reply this, on the other hand our opponents limit it; we do not. Arminians say Christ died for all men. Ask them what they mean by it. Did Christ die as to secure the salvation of any man in particular? They answer 'no'. They are obliged to admit this, if they are consistant. They say 'No Christ died that any man may be saved if...' and then follow certain conditions of Salvation. Now, who is it that limits the death of Christ? Why you! You say that CHrist did not die so as to secure the salvation of anybody. We beg your pardon. When you say we limit the death of Christ, we say 'No, my dear sir, it is you that do it'. We say that Christ so died that he infallibally secured the salvation of a multitude that no man can number. Who through Christ death not only may be saved, but are saved, must be saved, and cannot by any possibility run the hazard of being anything but saved. You are welcome to your atonement. You may keep . We will never renounce ours for the sake of it."

- Charles Haddon Spurgeon

I wonder what Calvins view of the atonement really was? [​IMG]

18. Skandelon

Thanks Sturgman, I didn't want to get my fat butt out of my lazy boy and go look that quote up. :D

Sam

19. sturgman

sturgman New Member

Don't try to outshine me. I am the one with the fat.

I had it right next to my lazyboy. :D

20. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Christ's Limited Atonement - Charles Spurgeon

Some persons love the doctrine of universal atonement because they say, "It is so beautiful. It is a lovely idea that Christ should have died for all men; it commends itself," they say, "to the instincts of humanity; there is something in it full of joy and beauty." I admit there is, but beauty may be often associated with falsehood. There is much which I might admire in the theory of universal redemption, but I will just show what the supposition necessarily involves. If Christ on His cross intended to save every man, then He intended to save those who were lost before He died. If the doctrine be true, that He died for all men, then He died for some who were in hell before He came into this world, for doubtless there were even then myriads there who had been cast away because of their sins.

Once again, if it was Christ’s intention to save all men, how deplorably has He been disappointed, for we have His own testimony that there is a lake which burneth with fire and brimstone, and into that pit of woe have been cast some of the very persons who, according to the theory of universal redemption, were bought with His blood. That seems to me a conception a thousand times more repulsive than any of those consequences which are said to be associated with the Calvinistic and Christian doctrine of special and particular redemption. To think that my Savior died for men who were or are in hell, seems a supposition too horrible for me to entertain. To imagine for a moment that He was the Substitute for all the sons of men, and that God, having first punished the Substitute, afterwards punished the sinners themselves, seems to conflict with all my ideas of divine justice. That Christ should offer an atonement and satisfaction for the sins of all men, and that afterwards some of those very men should be punished for the sins for which Christ had already atoned, appears to me to be the most monstrous iniquity that could ever have been imputed to Saturn, to Janus, to the goddess of the Thugs, or to the most diabolical heathen deities. God forbid that we should ever think thus of Jehovah, the just and wise and good!

There is no soul living who holds more firmly to the doctrines of grace than I do, and if any man asks me whether I am ashamed to be called a Calvinist, I answer—I wish to be called nothing but a Christian; but if you ask me, do I hold the doctrinal views which were held by John Calvin, I reply, I do in the main hold them, and rejoice to avow it. But far be it from me even to imagine that Zion contains none but Calvinistic Christians within her walls, or that there are none saved who do not hold our views. Most atrocious things have been spoken about the character and spiritual condition of John Wesley, the modern prince of Arminians. I can only say concerning him that, while I detest many of the doctrines which he preached, yet for the man himself I have a reverence second to no Wesleyan; and if there were wanted two apostles to be added to the number of the twelve, I do not believe that there could be found two men more fit to be so added than George Whitefield and John Wesley. The character of John Wesley stands beyond all imputation for self-sacrifice, zeal, holiness, and communion with God; he lived far above the ordinary level of common Christians, and was one "of whom the world was not worthy." I believe there are multitudes of men who cannot see these truths, or, at least, cannot see them in the way in which we put them, who nevertheless have received Christ as their Savior, and are as dear to the heart of the God of grace as the soundest Calvinist in or out of heaven.

[ January 31, 2003, 03:50 AM: Message edited by: Rev. G ]