1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Great example of Christian love in the debate

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by ReformedBaptist, Dec 29, 2009.

1. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

In the past I have shared this before as an example of how we ought to respond to each other. I am preaching to myself here too. I get frustrated with this debate and tend to dismiss it. But George Whitfield presents a wonderful example of Christian charity and manliness in his letter to John Wesley.

We all do well to read it and take his attitude for an example.

http://www.spurgeon.org/~phil/wesley.htm

Some quotes,

2. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    you won't have many responses here, RB. I for one would like to see that happen, but that's doubtful considering how so many newbies here come looking for a debate against the Doctrine of Grace or Calvinism with the mindset that these are the doctrines of the unsaved, hell-bound, and blasphemers.
    These two whose writings you cited have no doubts at all about the other's eternal standing and where their differences lay.
    On the other hand, there is one new, wet-behind-the-ear poster here who have been upbraided by another who is on his side of the fence for questioning the salvation and eternal standing of those on the other side of the spectrum.

3. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for sharing that RB. You are right, we should be so considerate of one another, but, sometimes our beliefs can be passionate........

4. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

or visa versa

5. Victorious

Victorious Member

http://www.piney.com/WhitefSer54Funeral.html

The age old Calvinist/Arminian debate is not sin. I admit that I enjoy it immensely because God’s grace is at the center of it and I learn patience, lol!. JUST KIDDING! (although with an element of truth here :smilewinkgrin:) Sometimes I think God is testing our love for one another and laughing at us! Neither view is heresy in my opinion. Just a different view. The walk tells it all. If I can stay married to my opposition and still love him, I think we can learn to tolerate the view of a brother or sister in Christ. I believe it is a sin to condemn either side to hell.

6. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

when i saw the title of this thread i thought for sure it was going to be about me :)

7. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can't say about the others here, but you weren't even in my mind, skan.
    somebody else has that crown now, if you once wore it.:tongue3: