1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Great Quotes

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Salty, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What are some great spirtual quotes to consider

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    “There is no pit so deep that God’s love is not deeper still.” Betsie ten Boom, sister of Corrie ten Boom.

3. One Baptism

One Baptism Active Member

Education, page 125-126 - Ellen G. White Writings -

“... The central theme of the Bible, the theme about which every other in the whole book clusters, is the redemption plan, the restoration in the human soul of the image of God. From the first intimation of hope in the sentence pronounced in Eden to that last glorious promise of the Revelation, “They shall see His face; and His name shall be in their foreheads” (Revelation 22:4), the burden of every book and every passage of the Bible is the unfolding of this wondrous theme,—man’s uplifting,—the power of God, “which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.1 Corinthians 15:57. ...”​

Education, page 263 -

“...Those who think of the result of hastening or hindering the gospel think of it in relation to themselves and to the world. Few think of its relation to God. Few give thought to the suffering that sin has caused our Creator. All heaven suffered in Christ’s agony; but that suffering did not begin or end with His manifestation in humanity. The cross is a revelation to our dull senses of the pain that, from its very inception, sin has brought to the heart of God. Every departure from the right, every deed of cruelty, every failure of humanity to reach His ideal, brings grief to Him. When there came upon Israel the calamities that were the sure result of separation from God,—subjugation by their enemies, cruelty, and death,—it is said that “His soul was grieved for the misery of Israel.” “In all their affliction He was afflicted: ... and He bare them, and carried them all the days of old.” Judges 10:16; Isaiah 63:9. ...”​

4. thatbrian

thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The gospel is this: We are more sinful and flawed in ourselves than we ever dared believe, yet at the very same time we are more loved and accepted in Jesus Christ than we ever dared hope. - Tim Keller

5. Saved-By-Grace

Saved-By-Grace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mrs White was a rank heretic!

6. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To read the Bible without giving heed that the Spirit which inspired it is still active along and between His lines is like inspecting the crop a farmer plants assuming that it cultivates itself. To find a perfect field is to find a perfect planter and sustainer.

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    “The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because generally they are the same people.” G.K. Chesterton

“It doesn’t matter how many drugs I take, I’m not fulfilled. This isn’t satisfying. There’s a spiritual hunger going on. Everybody feels it. If you don’t feel it now, you will. Trust me…Drinking beer is easy. Trashing your hotel room is easy. But being a Christian, that’s a tough call. That’s the real rebellion.” Alice Cooper

8. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    “Your talk talks and your walk talks, but your walk talks louder than your talk talks.” John Maxwell, former pastor of Skyline Church, just down the road from me in San Diego.

9. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Certain new theologians dispute original sin, which is the only part of Christian theology which can really be proved." G.K. Chesterton – Orthodoxy

• Like Like x 1
  10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    One of my favorites. I love Chesterton's wit.
    Have you read Orthodoxy?

11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those who have something to do - find a way
    Others find an excuse

12. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Neither fornicators nor adulterers nor idolators shall inherit the Kingdom of God. If you have no inheritance you must be out of His will.

13. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Chesterton causes me to sin - I envy his mind. :)

I began reading it but never finished, but not because it wasn't a great book.

This (below), if it is actually from his pen, is my personal favorite piece of his work because it shows great insight.

We all might be guilty of thinking that the "real problem with the world today" is Liberals, or Conservatives. Or, it's "lazy" people on welfare, or "greedy" corporations. . . It takes both great insight and great restraint, to understand and admit that it is the sin within my own heart that is the problem in the world today and let the buck stop there.

I pulled the below from the American Chesterton Society: What's Wrong with the World

What’s Wrong with the World?
    by ACS

QUESTION
    Is it true that The Times once sent out an inquiry to famous authors, asking the question, “What’s wrong with the world today?” and Chesterton responded simply,

“Dear Sir,

I am.​

Yours, G.K. Chesterton.”​

• Like Like x 1
  14. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "I can resist anything but temptation" Oscar Wilde.