1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GREED: Is what I am doing wrong? am I wrong? Biblically

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by zrs6v4, Mar 30, 2008.

1. zrs6v4

zrs6v4 Member

Hey thanks, I was reading through some of your stuff you had and its great. Mark Dever is serving the Lord in more ways than immaginable, and thats awesome. I honestly could not find the blog you wanted me to read, where is it at exactly? thanks

2. Karen

Karen Active Member

"Worth" is somewhat relative. You are making an implicit assumption about the fish tank that you have extensive knowledge of worth and value of the object, and your potential buyers do not have such knowledge and have limited options.
    If your fish tank was "worth" $100 and you were "greedy" and tried to sell it for $1000, you have enough competition from other fish tanks in the market that I doubt you would be successful.

3. zrs6v4

zrs6v4 Member

Yea true but there is a huge markup in saltwater equipment. I bought it all used for $200 and sold some of it for $120 (the liverock, which I feel was to high and was wrong). So I have $80 invested now. If you would go to the fish store and buy this same stuff new it would be about $1,000 which is high. The market value used is less than half of the cost new at $300 which would be a fair priced and a quick deal. $500 would be heading to greed In my opinion and would take longer to sell, if it would at that price. I have been blessed with a good sense of worth I believe if there is such a thing. My parents always used to make fun of me for wheelin' and Dealin'. I can look at a car and literally tell you how much you could get for it how fast. Same with the saltwater supplies.

Greed could also mean not only to sell at a extremely high markup like I explained earlier, but maybe also to repeat the process over and over b/c you feel you don't have enough money earned, I don't know. This is where i struggled b/c wouldn't it be selfish to make money off of someone to benefit yourself? It all comes down to your intentions of your heart I guess, in Gods eyes, if you are aware of them.

The definition is: a selfish and excessive desire for more of something (as money) than is needed

#23 zrs6v4, Mar 31, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2008
  4. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Zach,

Thanks for the compliment. Mark's article can be found here:

http://blog.togetherforthegospel.org/2008/02/the-bondage-of.html

I hope it helps.

Blessings,

The Archangel

5. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't agree with this. You're back to including language that says that anybody that sells things for a living is sinning. The grocery store people would be sinning when you shop there... after all, they're being selfish by making money off of you to benefit themselves, right? If you don't agree with that, you need to try communism or something, because capitalism isn't for you.

Like I said before, I sell trailers. Yes, I repeat the process over and over. I've sold hundreds. Why is that a problem?

I'll let you in on a little piece of advise. When I was in college, I took a business class, and we had a guest speaker. He said something that I thought was crazy at the time, but as time goes on, I cannot find a way to say that it is wrong. He said:

"Business is simply the art of taking money out of one man's wallet and putting it into your own... without resorting to violence."

Yes, there are people who take that to the extremes and stretch the limits of the laws and such, but by and large, it is very true. And, with that in mind... if you found a good hookup on fish tanks that you could buy for $80 all day long, and sell them on eBay for $300, over and over... you're not immoral, you're a businessman. The only way that is immoral is if you get addicted to it and its taking away from your family or whatever, or if you are lying about the condition and quality.

Otherwise, you are providing a service that somebody else is happy to pay you for. Period. There's no shame in that. Everybody is selling something. Even if it's not a problem, by having a job at all, you're selling something... like your time, knowledge, strength, etc.

#25 corndogggy, Mar 31, 2008
  6. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What kills me about all of this is that some people think that retail jobs are perfectly ok. For example, if you own a fish store, and you sell fish tanks for a living, that's perfectly ok. And, if you take trade-ins, and things like that, that's ok.

Yet, when an individual who isn't in the fish tank business as their normal job buys a fish tank then resells it, it's automatically bad. Why is that? It makes no sense. Why is it that some of these same people who thinks it is bad will shop at eBay, where 90% of the people on there are doing this?

I've gotten bad comments and bad looks before because along with my trailers, I also resell jeeps. I've got it down to a science. Jeeps get real cheap in the winter. February is a great time to buy a jeep. You can buy one then flip it and make an easy $1,000 two months later in a different market when it warms up. Some people automatically think this is highly immoral. Why is that such a bad thing to do? Why is it that some of those same people would do the same thing in the stock market if they knew it was guaranteed? There's no difference.

More than that though, why is it perfectly ok for a car salesman to do this, except make 4 times what I do? Some people just need cash more than a jeep, and I give that to them. Other people need a fun jeep more than cash, and I do that as well. I simply provide a service, I don't twist anybody's arm. I buy them from one place and sell to another, that's the power of the internet. I make one person happy that he's getting rid of a jeep and gets some cash out of the deal, then I can sell it 3 states over to somebody who has alot more money and never would have found it in the first place. Everybody's happy, yet it's sinful to some people for some reason.

Sure, I benefit myself. Yet, the guy I bought it from is benefitted because he unloaded his jeep. The guy I sell to is benefitting because local ones cost 4 grand more. Everybody's happy, what's the problem?

#26 corndogggy, Mar 31, 2008
  7. zrs6v4

zrs6v4 Member

I think you are right, and the best thing is don't let your job become your life or more important than others and God, if you do that then you are covering all ten commandments. I have been trying to agree with you for awhile but you wont let me, hah. The problem before (pre- 6months ago) I had was that I was making the material things my life, and now as you can see I am being very cautious because I don't want to be there again and I know God will back me. On the quote you took from me I was just explaining to her how I felt before and clarifying my point I had which I have overcome. I really do think your right, I just think when you dabble in business you must proceed with caution and keep God number 1 all day everyday and not let business take the pole position.

8. zrs6v4

zrs6v4 Member

So try to help you a little, I think business is ok as long as obedience comes first. there is nothing wrong with what you are doing unless God is convicting you about it for infinite reasons. I know that there is much more to life than money and being fair to the level we think is fair. I agree I dont think it is wrong if God is first and in your heart you have the right intentions. once again thanks for helping me work this kink out.

Now forget all we just talk about and remember:godisgood:

9. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh I agree, but just because you sell a fish tank for profit, or even do it regularly, doesn't mean you're greedy. It all depends on how those activities and the profits change your life.

10. zrs6v4

zrs6v4 Member

Exactly, thats what I put together