1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Greek experts are tools, not infallible men

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Edward63, Jul 14, 2013.

1. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Dr. Bob nails it and describes our incessantly inflammatory guest.

2. DrJamesAch

DrJamesAch New Member

3. Edward63

Edward63 Member

PnJ, I got to thinking about what you stated and did not wish others to be frightened off from such "technical" resources. Conclusions and some logic can be understood even apart from a knowledge of the Greek. As an example, you mentioned that the BDAG somehow softened or lessened its view of modern homosexuality. I saw it just the opposite on malkos. I will do a copy/paste of a small section of the BDAG and then a copy/paste of Heinrich Meyer of 19th century Germany. Which was the more strict on male on male sex sins?

BDAG -
    "2 pert. to being passive in a same-sex relationship, effeminate esp. of catamites, of men and boys who are sodomized by other males in such a relationship, opp. ἀρσενοκοίτης...1 Cor 6:9 (‘male prostitutes’ NRSV is too narrow a rendering; ‘sexual pervert’ REB is too broad"

I do not know Greek, but I can understand that conclusion from Dr. Danker in the BDAG. Then, I can go back to a more rigid and puritanical age and read another Greek scholar on the same word, Dr. Meyer who does not think malakos refers to a male to male sexual sin.

"μαλακοί] effeminates, commonly understood as qui muliebria patiuntur, but with no sufficient evidence from the usage of the language (the passages in Wetstein and Kypke, even Dion. Hal. vii. 2, do not prove the point); moreover, such catamites (molles) were called πόρνοι or κίναιδοι. One does not see, moreover, why precisely this sin should be mentioned twice over in different aspects. Rather therefore: effeminate luxurious livers."
    http://www.studylight.org/com/hmc/view.cgi?bk=45&ch=6

So, laymen may not be able to read the Greek and understand the Greek grammar, but we do have access to those who can and do. PnJ, don't discourage us from the available tools we have to protect ourselves from heretics, the most notorious of which go door to door and spout their supposed Greek knowledge.